Post-Game Talk: Canucks defeat Golden Knights | 5 - 1 | Boeser, Miller, Pettersson, Kuzmenko, & Horvat

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
At the end of October I started a spreadsheet to figure out how the Canucks could make the playoffs after their horrible start. I aimed for 95 points.

Nov.851
Dec.751
Jan.841
Feb.641
Mar.951
Apr.430

Somehow, if they win the next two games (and both are very winnable) they will actually have gone 8-5-1 in November and kept their hopes alive.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Definitely the best effort of the season. Outside of the first four or five minutes, the Canucks owner this one. Kudos to Martin for yet another solid performance - he made two or three massive stops when it was still tied and gave the Canucks time to find their sea legs.

All of of our top guns factored into the scoring. The team showed some good pushback and snarl. Not much to dislike here.

Hoglander had easily his most impactful game of the season. He was a buzzsaw all night.

Our fourth line of Joshua-Aman-Lazar has been really, really good.

Burroughs continues to be a rock. Keep him in there. Bear continues to settle in really nicely.

Credit to the much maligned OEL and Myers. Both were good here.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Great game for the Canucks this season but it's still funny to me how many of the Alvin/Rutherford/Benning haters are subtly trying to imply that the Canucks took advantage of a Vegas team that was playing on the heels of a back-to-back. Would this same excuse have been mention if the situation had been reversed? (i.e. Nucks losing to Vegas on the heels of a back-to-back). Highly unlikely in my opinion. Just boggles my mind......

Anyways - yes, the Canucks have a solid shot of climbing back here. They better not take San Jose lightly however. Canucks do have a tendency to get an upset victory which is then followed by an awful loss. I still recall all of those losses to Buffalo and Detroit during the stretch last season. Ottawa once as well.

Demko will probably get the start tomorrow and so I hope the Canucks show up to help Demko grow his confidence.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Still not happy that Pods is not getting decent line mates, let alone sitting.
I know. I think he'd be one of the biggest beneficiaries of the Canucks as a team finding themselves here. Looks like the struggles were a burden on him as they are for most young players. Put him back in and let him find his game again and get in on this good run of play because he's the real deal. We need him to continue developing.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Great game for the Canucks this season but it's still funny to me how many of the Alvin/Rutherford/Benning haters are subtly trying to imply that the Canucks took advantage of a Vegas team that was playing on the heels of a back-to-back. Would this same excuse have been mention if the situation had been reversed? (i.e. Nucks losing to Vegas on the heels of a back-to-back). Highly unlikely in my opinion. Just boggles my mind......

Anyways - yes, the Canucks have a solid shot of climbing back here. They better not take San Jose lightly however. Canucks do have a tendency to get an upset victory which is then followed by an awful loss. I still recall all of those losses to Buffalo and Detroit during the stretch last season. Ottawa once as well.

Demko will probably get the start tomorrow and so I hope the Canucks show up to help Demko grow his confidence.
Then followed by an awful loss was tonight's game.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Hoglander had possibly the best game of his career. Deserves a longer shot on this Miller Horvat line. Passing was crisp and his motor is borderline elite.

Petey is entering Selke mode. This is a gamebreaker.

Burroughs continues to be rock solid. Sneakily good passing and having another guy that can rough it up AND play hockey back there is great. Stillman should be waived.

Joshua deserves huge credit. His board play and ability to make sneaky passes to keep offensive plays alive is great. And he can take heavyweight fights. Aman and Lazar deserve credit too.

Bear continues to be a great fit beside OEL.

Dries has picked it up the past few games. True blue collar journeyman effort and deserves to stay here.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Amazing what happens when Myers and OEL step up their games. Caught Vegas looking a little tired but showed they can more than hang in with them when they get good goal tending and decent defensive play. Offense and PP is there and if team can consistently pick up other aspects of their game, they should be able to at least be competitive in their own division. Overall, have to realize that we've had to integrate a number of new players into the lineup and that process hasn't always been smooth and has been hurt by injuries. (such as with Micheyev, Lazar etc..)

Good

Pettersson - said it before - player has character, will in time develop into a true leader. Another very good game. Hopefully can start using break-aways more effectively

Miller - very few mistakes in this one. Provided some essential offense. Great play on the Horvat goal

Martin - early saves were critical. Validating the belief the organization had in him. Hopefully inspires Demko

Kuzmenko - has greatly improved his general play since the benching. Still learning the League and you wonder what his top end will be. Michayev is finally starting to contribute

Bear - thought he was our best d-man. Showing more mobility than I thought he had. Continues to improve in his end.

Myers - likely his best game of the season. Was getting people off the puck and moving up well with the play. Forced the play in the Vegas end and unlucky not to score. If he can get back to playing like he did last year just after Boudreau got here, it will be a huge step forward for the team

Hoglander - can't give much more than he did in this game. Still you worry about his play in his zone as much as you sometimes wonder about Garland's sometimes helter skelter play but his forechecking and back checking were very good. Goals should start coming.

Burroughs - you wonder what the coaching staff doesn't see in this player. Good at playing the rush (even if outnumber) , quick and solid along his end borders - rarely loses the puck, can push play in the offensive zone, makes good passes out of his zone, does not give up the puck at either blue line. Gets out-sized a little but still physical. Right now he needs to be in the lineup until he plays himself out of it.

Others

Hughes - little like Miller - a high event player - does a lot of good but sometimes tries too much or gets stalled out in his own end leading to chances against. But then he starts being the one man zone exit machine or the player serving up great passes. Tonite there was a little of both and he and Scheen maybe the most dubious defensively. Still, he's heading for record production franchise wise.

Boeser - some improvement. Making good passes in the offensive zone and dangerous around the net. Still big questions about his transition/defensive play b/c of speed issues. Seemed to be ploddingly moving in the right direction although there were times in this game when his coverage in his own end was quite poor. Has one of the strangest point streaks in memory. Not playing all that well but the points just keep coming.

Aman - can do everything but score. Seems to have all the tools but just not seem to have an offensive mentality and you wonder if someone typecast him as a defensive player and used him only as this. As far as overall ice coverage may be the best center on the team. Needs to be more hungry for goals. His line had another effective game. Both this year and last year BB was able to develop good 4th lines.

Good night for the team but they always leave you wondering if their good play is sustainable.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Amazing what happens when Myers and OEL step up their games. Caught Vegas looking a little tired but showed they can more than hang in with them when they get good goal tending and decent defensive play. Offense and PP is there and if team can consistently pick up other aspects of their game, they should be able to at least be competitive in their own division. Overall, have to realize that we've had to integrate a number of new players into the lineup and that process hasn't always been smooth and has been hurt by injuries. (such as with Micheyev, Lazar etc..)

Good

Pettersson - said it before - player has character, will in time develop into a true leader. Another very good game. Hopefully can start using break-aways more effectively

Miller - very few mistakes in this one. Provided some essential offense. Great play on the Horvat goal

Martin - early saves were critical. Validating the belief the organization had in him. Hopefully inspires Demko

Kuzmenko - has greatly improved his general play since the benching. Still learning the League and you wonder what his top end will be. Michayev is finally starting to contribute

Bear - thought he was our best d-man. Showing more mobility than I thought he had. Continues to improve in his end.

Myers - likely his best game of the season. Was getting people off the puck and moving up well with the play. Forced the play in the Vegas end and unlucky not to score. If he can get back to playing like he did last year just after Boudreau got here, it will be a huge step forward for the team

Hoglander - can't give much more than he did in this game. Still you worry about his play in his zone as much as you sometimes wonder about Garland's sometimes helter skelter play but his forechecking and back checking were very good. Goals should start coming.

Burroughs - you wonder what the coaching staff doesn't see in this player. Good at playing the rush (even if outnumber) , quick and solid along his end borders - rarely loses the puck, can push play in the offensive zone, makes good passes out of his zone, does not give up the puck at either blue line. Gets out-sized a little but still physical. Right now he needs to be in the lineup until he plays himself out of it.

Others

Hughes - little like Miller - a high event player - does a lot of good but sometimes tries too much or gets stalled out in his own end leading to chances against. But then he starts being the one man zone exit machine or the player serving up great passes. Tonite there was a little of both and he and Scheen maybe the most dubious defensively. Still, he's heading for record production franchise wise.

Boeser - some improvement. Making good passes in the offensive zone and dangerous around the net. Still big questions about his transition/defensive play b/c of speed issues. Seemed to be ploddingly moving in the right direction although there were times in this game when his coverage in his own end was quite poor. Has one of the strangest point streaks in memory. Not playing all that well but the points just keep coming.

Aman - can do everything but score. Seems to have all the tools but just not seem to have an offensive mentality and you wonder if someone typecast him as a defensive player and used him only as this. As far as overall ice coverage may be the best center on the team. Needs to be more hungry for goals. His line had another effective game. Both this year and last year BB was able to develop good 4th lines.

Good night for the team but they always leave you wondering if their good play is sustainable.
Love your posts bro. Please post more.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Definitely the best effort of the season. Outside of the first four or five minutes, the Canucks owner this one. Kudos to Martin for yet another solid performance - he made two or three massive stops when it was still tied and gave the Canucks time to find their sea legs.

All of of our top guns factored into the scoring. The team showed some good pushback and snarl. Not much to dislike here.

Hoglander had easily his most impactful game of the season. He was a buzzsaw all night.

Our fourth line of Joshua-Aman-Lazar has been really, really good.

Burroughs continues to be a rock. Keep him in there. Bear continues to settle in really nicely.

Credit to the much maligned OEL and Myers. Both were good here.
Hey, there is an Aquilini thread, quit derailing this one.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
If and when the Canucks clean up their boneheaded mental breakdowns and shit, this team can go on a good run. We got something here, let’s build on it.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

You're trying much to hard to start something.

Pretty much everyone recognizes that this group of players (who seem to finally be playing a little more like a team) is good enough to be fighting for a playoff spot. The fact they crapped the bed so hard and so often never erased that point. Vegas looked gassed and really crappy in this one, but the Canucks also played about the best we've seen all year. They were good value for the win, but it's not a rare thing for a good team to bring a sloppy effort against a team they're not taking seriously.

Expecting the Canucks to finish the year at the bottom of the standings was as unrealistic as them winning a cup. They'll either be first round fodder or just miss the playoffs.

Reactions: mriswith and bh53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad