Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Preds - 4-3 (OT) (Boeser x3, Lindholm) | I JUST HAD A BABY

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I'm convinced Pettersson is injured just doesn't move his feet or shoots and honestly looks like he doesn't have much in the tank whenever you look at him. If you look at shots Miller and Boeser are at 10 11 shots each in the series, Pettersson is at 3 the entire series.
The thing is, what part of him is injured?

Does he have some sort of leg or hip injury? Because he doesn't have much of a first step, can't generate any speed or separation in transition and seems hesitant to get going on the back-check.

Does he have the infamous wrist injury? Because he's not willing to shoot nor is he able to handle a lot of passes.

Does he have some sort of back/torso injury? Because he's not winning many battles and is pretty weak on the puck.

Does he have some sort of eye injury? Because in game 2 he missed an empty net that most of us could have probably hit.

Did he catch the same bug the rest of the team did and he's not able to shake it? Because his effort, energy, determination and give a f*** meter all seem quite low.

So if all these things are bothering him I'll give him a pass. Otherwise, I'm not buying it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm convinced Pettersson is injured just doesn't move his feet or shoots and honestly looks like he doesn't have much in the tank whenever you look at him. If you look at shots Miller and Boeser are at 10 11 shots each in the series, Pettersson is at 3 the entire series.

The injured players sat for Game 82 and Pettersson was not one of them.

This is about how he’s looked most of the year and it’s how he looked for all of 2021, too.

He just seems like a very mentally fragile player who zones out and stops competing or wanting the puck when he isn’t ‘right’ … which is pretty often.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The amount of Saros blaming in the Preds forum when this was their team "defending" the tying goal:

1714353490493-png.861476
They're also blaming O'Reilly for the overtime goal when it was actually Forsberg who messed up.

Reactions: Indiana

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The injured players sat for Game 82 and Pettersson was not one of them.

This is about how he’s looked most of the year and it’s how he looked for all of 2021, too.

He just seems like a very mentally fragile player who zones out and stops competing or wanting the puck when he isn’t ‘right’ … which is pretty often.
I am starting to think he has issues dealing with the reality of having a big ass new contract. More money = more expectations = him wanting to do more and not doing more leading to negative feedback.
It’s not a matter of if but when he just lets it go and gets back to what he is capable of, just f***ing sucks the slumps started at the worst time.

If he was performing great leading to the playoffs and then disappears all of a sudden I would be more worried. This is a slumping player slumping. You can say he doesn’t care but the video of him celebrating shows he obviously cares.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Anyways, I have some actual thoughts on everything. It’s a lot of text but curious if people agree/disagree

I thought all of Myers, Cole, Zadorov ended the regular season really strong. I don’t know how much of it is sustainable, but they’ve all been very good. It’s funny because it felt like there was a very clear separation between our top three and bottom three D most of the season, but on a relative scale, I think the bottom three have heavily exceeded expectation and the top three have come up short through these four games

I still don’t think we should sign Zadorov. A lot of miles and that contract will be ugly. It’s also just as simple as we only have so much money to give out.

Hronek. Man. Has continued the form that trailed off in the second half. Such an interesting situation and I don’t want to relitigate it

Hughes - I think he’ll figure this out sooner rather than later. I think he’d benefit a lot from if we can close it out in five and can have some extra days to heal, practice, watch film. Decision making has been bad. He didn’t look great in his own zone the last ten of the regular season as well and I assumed it wouldn’t continue… but it has

Forwards -

Pettersson line - Mikheyev has to come out. That line just sucks. Hoglander has gotten incrementally better every game. Pettersson has looked like Emil Pettersson / Linden Vey hybrid we saw years ago. The stuff about how he’s given up with his big contract is dumb. He’s been bad all year. The points at the start of the year were a mirage and his overall play has looked similar - just with a difference in confidence finishing plays and execution. Feel like I remember very clearly wondering where the 200 foot energy, motor, lack of movement, aggressiveness was when he was top five in scoring early. This game today reminded me of when he got killed at 5v5 by Torts hard matching f***ing Nic Deslauriers in Philly earlier this year.

Suter - Boeser - Miller combo I’ve been a fan of all year and I continually have advocated for the whole Suter’s production doesn’t matter thing when his line wins their matchup every night for the most part. There was a two year stretch where I was totally out on Brock. And that 18-19 season as well. But I said before this season that I’d rather he score 40 than us make the playoffs given what he’s gone through mentally. Nice that both happened. Miller I thought wasn’t much different than Pettersson in the first two but the last two he’s been back on it.

I really have not liked that Lindholm line the last three games. Lindholm and Garland have looked OK but Joshua in particular I thought has looked bad the last three. Like Pettersson level bobbling pucks, getting knocked off, looking behind it. I’m very much in favor of splitting them up. I think there’s a few options there, but I’d just simplify it and start with Blueger back between the two and Lindholm centering Pettersson and Hoglander. They haven’t tried that line for a while. And Pettersson can’t really whine about shifting to the wing right now.

I’ve been very impressed with the fourth line. It’s been our second best line through four games. They’ve had good shifts in every game. I know pulling Blueger off it would change the dynamic, and it sucks to split up a performing line, but I think you go PDG - Lafferty - Podkolzin. I think Podz should be back in. The last two games, I think we’ve been the second most physical. It’s not a huge difference but Podkolzin was very consistent at being fast, direct, and physical on the forecheck down the stretch. Mikheyev’s done nothing.

At the end of the day, we only have two lines going, and when one of them is your fourth line, it does not matter if Blueger gets pulled off if it gets one of your middle six lines going - and in a perfect world, maybe both of them going.

We need to win a game properly. Hughes with a 30 minute game where he’s just evading every Nashville forecheck, Pettersson showing life skating through the NZ and showing some shiftiness in the OZ, Joshua/Garland/Hoglander just being the most irritating guys on the ice. And when I say irritating, I don’t mean penalties or chasing hits - I mean that theyre getting shit on net, bouncing off every hit, etc.

I didn’t like Tocchet’s refusal to change the lines until the last five minutes of the game.

—— one thing to add ——

you know the pettersson stuff. like brock after 2019, 2022, 2023 said he needed to get better. he did two of those times. obviously was awful in 22-23. hughes after that 2022 season said he needed to get better. he did. he went from being a guy who i wasn’t sure could handle second pair leverage es minutes (he was awful defensively and giving up more the other way and he owned this) and now has been the best D in the league over the past 16 months. Yes he’s struggled the past two weeks in his own end but whatever.

Regardless, I’ve advocated selling on both those guys in the past. And when I think about Pettersson, Pettersson was far superior of a player at younger ages than those two. Much more mature game. He’s been so dogshit all year. Like god awful, and I don’t get why people cope about this

But like, I think recent history shows that he’s going to probably come back strong next season. And obviously at some point he needs to put together good seasons consecutively. I think being frustrated right now makes sense but long term, I don’t think I’d bet against him figuring it out. There’s just way too much talent. And it’s clear he cares. Heck even if he’s emil pettersson again next year, Brock had two god awful ones before this 40 goal one so it’s tough. I don’t know. I just think there’s a dominant Barkov level player hidden in there if he can put it together.

You advocated selling high on Pettersson and Hughes? Not something I would have expected.

A few comments:

- For Hughes, I thought he handled 2nd pairing minutes at base just fine. More offensively inclined, yes, but not someone you had to truly hide at ES. Now there's no question about how good he is, but I don't think it's fair to use his defense now as the baseline defense for a mid-pairing dman. This is all-world, elite play.

- I wouldn't bet against Pettersson either. In fact, I still think he will have a better overall career than Hughes when all is said and done. He's looking suspect, but be patient here.

- May as well try Joshua-Blueger-Garland against the O'Reilly line. If they can saw off those minutes, then it frees up Lindholm to be somewhere else. Perhaps try Miheyev-Lindholm-Lafferty again?

- Before this game, Tocchet noticed that Pettersson was getting incrementally better, and I agreed with that assessment. He just hasn't gotten anywhere back to his top level. Keep him at C and with Hoglander. Jettison Mikheyev, and then add Podkolzin. If Hoglander-Pettersson-Podkolzin still loses their match up with the Sissons line because of Pod's naivety, so be it. It's no worse than what's happening right now with Mikheyev there.

- Brock Boeser is a high end shooter. Those players, even when streaky, are very difficult to acquire and retain. With him, you have to accept the lows in order to get the highs you see now. I would have been ok if he had moved on, but the return had to be there. Glad it didn't happen.

- 71 shots over 4 games. I don't know if it's the system or something else, but this is unacceptable. That is an NHL record! When you say they "need to win a game properly", yes. At this point, I'm looking for them to just play the game properly, regardless of the win or loss. Get over 20 shots next game... it's not a lot to ask.

- I agree with you on Zadorov, don't re-sign him. His overall play is too erratic to be considered any more than a #4 dman, and they already have Soucy.

This win was gifted to the Canucks. I hope in the next game they actually earn it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay26 and alternate

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I am starting to think he has issues dealing with the reality of having a big ass new contract. More money = more expectations = him wanting to do more and not doing more leading to negative feedback.
It’s not a matter of if but when he just lets it go and gets back to what he is capable of, just f***ing sucks the slumps started at the worst time.

If he was performing great leading to the playoffs and then disappears all of a sudden I would be more worried. This is a slumping player slumping. You can say he doesn’t care but the video of him celebrating shows he obviously cares.
I'm still willing to "give him a pass" for the moment. Clock starts ticking pretty soon. Pressure? It's when his 11+ million cap hit starts at the start of next season.

Last edited:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Pettersson must be insanely talented to put up 89 points "while looking terrible all year"

Is there another example in league history of someone who "looks terrible" for a full year, plays with 2 30 point wingers, and yet scored over a pt per game?
Yeah I don't know where this all year stuff is coming off.

He was top 10 in points all season until March. First two weeks of March he was 11th, then had a terrible last month and fell down the list a bit to end the season.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm still willing to "give him a pass" for the moment. Clock starts ticking pretty soon. Pressure? It's when this 11+ million cap hit starts at the start of next season.
I am not too worried about next season, having an offseason of training is a good way to reset. Having said that, I think we all prefer him to snap out of it sooner, like f***ing next game soon.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Pettersson must be insanely talented to put up 89 points "while looking terrible all year"

Is there another example in league history of someone who "looks terrible" for a full year, plays with 2 30 point wingers, and yet scored over a pt per game?

He's very talented, yes. He can produce while he has nothing to work with.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Petey just needs a bounce. He gets in his own head and starts to overthink even routine plays. Score an ugly goal, the weight comes off, and hopefully he'll get going.

Doesn't help his linemates aren't doing much. They need him to drive play, and when he isn't, they're not going to pick up the slack. As great as Alvin's year has been, not adding another top 6 winger at the TDL is a blemish (but you can't do everything, I understand that).

Pregame there was talk about this game having fairy tale vibes. And boy did it live up to that. Same can be said for this season, and EP coming through when we've all written him off so fits the narrative.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
How many players in history have made guys look so ****ing silly, so consistently with their edges?

Even when he has a less than stellar game, he has moments like this that just make you realize we're watching the best Canuck of all time.

His skating is truly amazing. Not top end speed that just burns guys like McDavid or Bure, but the way he’s able to turn, dip, dive, juke, pivot, etc is just ridiculous.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks are up 3-1 and still haven't played their best hockey by a longshot. And they'll have to be a lot better in game #5 than they were tonight.

Closing out a best of seven is always the toughest game. Although you hardly blame Nashville if they're demoralized after this one.

I mean Colton Sissons hits the post with an open net; and the Canucks score twice in the last three minutes. You could wait another 10 years and not see a playoff game like that.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hughes has been brutal in these away games. I can buy that he's sick. He was skating like a madman in games 1-2, now looks out of breath on every shift, and is getting beat in foot races which is unheard of this season. The only hit he took that looked like it hurt, was the sandwich one today.

He's still Hughes tho, and thus can pull off magic moves like that game tying deke.

Looking at EP, I have no confidence he can pull off any kind of 'vintage' EP play like that.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Huge yikes. Same exact garbage excuses as his whole career, skates fast, alleged elite defense, pk utility blah blah still accomplishes nothing.

He does the same exact impact on the game from the 4th line as from ep wing, a near unmovable anchor, dragging down your star 1c.

I don't really know what you're expecting?

No...he's not the guy to get Petey going. I said as much. Get him and Hoglander off that line. They're both just dragging him down and getting dragged down with him.

But what the heck do you even mean, "same excuses his whole career"? His whole career he's been...exactly this. Maybe a little faster before he blew up his knee and at the moment he's having one of those "hands misfunction" phases that literally every middle six player in the world goes through. But that's what he is. He's a defensively responsible, PK asset, Middle-6 complementary forward who skates fast, and doesn't have Top-6 scoring hands.

It's not an "excuse". It's literally just...exactly what he is and was expected to be as a player.

What's "yikes" is just dismissing all of the effort put into playing a solid, reliable game every night. Taking care of his own end, killing penalties well, getting pucks out, retrieving pucks, creating rush chances, etc. Just dumping on him because he doesn't score like an elite sniper.

He's 2pts behind Elias Pettersson, the superstar core of our team, who also gets to play top Powerplay minutes endlessly. :dunno:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Lafferty could replace his minutes on the pk and in fact would help Pettersson on faceoffs

I would be trying something to help get Pettersson going 5v5

Mikhayev down low has been poor and we all know he can't finish and refuses to drive hard to the net. At least Pod would give you some strength along the walls where Hog and Petey are getting manhandled and has a net drive and a different look.

i'm beating a dead horse probably but i'm getting tired of seeing that line unable to hold a puck in the offensive zone and the Mikhayev button hook to the boards and impending turnover

I don't think anybody would disagree that the Hog-Pete-Mik line is total ass. It just does not work. Period. It never has it and never will.

Pettersson and Hoglander are oil and water. Mikheyev can pitch in as the "3rd wheel" who isn't expected to do anything offensively. But putting them all together is stupid and bad.

But that really doesn't indicate in any way shape or form that Podkolzin who is only a handful of decent (literally zero goals scored) non-event games away from having completely played himself out of the league...is a better "replacement".

Mikheyev is rock solid all around. That is better than "wish and a prayer" Podkolzin.

Hoglander scored 20 this year. That is better than "wish and a prayer" Podkolzin.

I just really don't understand the fixation on getting either out of the lineup. The obvious solution is just...get them the heck away from pouty Pettersson.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
well a lot of people wanted to "sell" Boeser while his value was high, but what a night. This year he has known how to finish.

And the big 3 on D (Z, Myers and Soucy) are showing the value of having big boys for marathon that is the playoffs.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
You basically described Blueger who is paid $1.9M AAV.

Mikheyev is bigger, faster and a better finisher than Bluegers when his hands aren't in derped out mode like they have been most of this year.

But i really do no give a single solitary f*** about their cap hits right now anyway. It's playoffs. Cap isn't a thing. Look at the Vegas Cheater Knights.

You play your best roster. Cap doesn't matter. And Mikheyev is miles better than any alternative.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The Canucks delivered under pressure.

Honestly tons of credit to them.

Went from a 2-2 series split with Nashville having all the momentum to a 3-1 stranglehold.

There are a number of issues that still need to be addressed with the team and they probably don’t deserve to be up 3-1… but they are.

What a comeback.

Hell of a game from Boeser and Lindholm.
Never say that...ever. Playoffs are playoffs and sometimes you get lucky and win and sometimes you dont. Canucks have certainly been on the other side before so i could care less about beimg deserved to win or not. This is why we play the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad