GDT: Canes vs Avs (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Seth Jarvis)

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
You’re talking to one of the OG Negative Nellies on the boards. Wasn’t a game that went by that I wasn’t trashing Eric Staal’s lazy ass. But I chilled after a while (coincidentally around the same time I stopped watching the team and started just following the games/results on social media).

Now my job is to watch the team, and I’m pissed off at them all over again.

Despite being disgusted with Eric's lazy self I'm kinda mad they didn't bring him back here to finish his career. I'm sure he'd have redeemed himself.

Reactions: Deon Thompson

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Also, somebody pointed this out on Reddit, but I figured it’s worth noting here.

The last two years the biggest shot differential between a winning and losing team, where the losing team greatly outshot the winner (ie: like this game):

1. This game - 33 shot difference
2. 3/26/22 - Montreal beat Toronto, despite being outshot 51-18 (33 shot diff)
3. 3/24/22 - Dallas beat CAROLINA, outshot 47-15 (32 shot diff). Andersen was in net for that one, outperformed by Scott Wedgewood.
4. 11/29/21 - Arizona beat Winnipeg, outshot 46-15 (31 shot diff). Winnipeg was shutout that game.

and tied for 5th…

5. 12/2/21 - Ottawa beat CAROLINA, outshot 49-20 (29 shot diff). Raanta got outplayed by Forsberg.

Three times in the top 5 in just the past two years is pretty impressive.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Also, somebody pointed this out on Reddit, but I figured it’s worth noting here.

The last two years the biggest shot differential between a winning and losing team, where the losing team greatly outshot the winner (ie: like this game):

1. This game - 33 shot difference
2. 3/26/22 - Montreal beat Toronto, despite being outshot 51-18 (33 shot diff)
3. 3/24/22 - Dallas beat CAROLINA, outshot 47-15 (32 shot diff). Andersen was in net for that one, outperformed by Scott Wedgewood.
4. 11/29/21 - Arizona beat Winnipeg, outshot 46-15 (31 shot diff). Winnipeg was shutout that game.

and tied for 5th…

5. 12/2/21 - Ottawa beat CAROLINA, outshot 49-20 (29 shot diff). Raanta got outplayed by Forsberg.

Three times in the top 5 in just the past two years is pretty impressive.

Wow, this team must not be able to compete given that.

Wait, you mean over that same stretch you are listing the Canes have the 3rd best points % in the NHL and the 10th best GF/GA ratio?

Canes don't have the elite talent and snipers a lot of teams have. To be successful, we need to outwork, out possess and out shoot our opponents. That's how this team plays. It's going to lead to some games like this because of that.

Reactions: geehaad

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Wow, this team must not be able to compete given that.

Wait, you mean over that same stretch you are listing the Canes have the 3rd best points % in the NHL and the 10th best GF/GA ratio?

Canes don't have the elite talent and snipers a lot of teams have. To be successful, we need to outwork, out possess and out shoot our opponents. That's how this team plays. It's going to lead to some games like this because of that.

I get what you’re saying, but…

Im pretty sure every NHL team’s plan would be to outwork, out possess and outshoot their opponents. Very few go in with the game plan of “Alright, let’s spend 70% of the game in the defensive zone, completely tire ourselves out, and hopefully get lucky that one of the snipers can spring on a breakaway.”

Not saying the “early goal into defensive shell into squeaking out a win“ never happens, but I don’t think it’s a common strategy.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I get what you’re saying, but…

Im pretty sure every NHL team’s plan would be to outwork, out possess and outshoot their opponents. Very few go in with the game plan of “Alright, let’s spend 70% of the game in the defensive zone, completely tire ourselves out, and hopefully get lucky that one of the snipers can spring on a breakaway.”

Not saying the “early goal into defensive shell into squeaking out a win“ never happens, but I don’t think it’s a common strategy.

Oh, C'mon.

First, It's not debatable that the Canes have been one of the hardest working teams in the NHL for the last 4 years. So saying "we want to work hard" and actually doing it are two different things. Many teams announces and coaches comment on it all the time. Many posters on here have suggested it's why they struggle in the playoffs. Other players that have come here from other teams comment on it. It's a reality. Eric Staal always use to talk about effort and working hard and we know how that went.

Secondly, "out possessing" another team is more than just wanting to do so, you have to play the game in a way that allows you to do so and have the right personnel to do so. You need mobile defensemen with good lateral movement that can aggressively pinch in the offensive zone end play tight gaps on the neutral zone. You need forwards that have been condition to cover for the aggressive pinches. etc.. etc.. Not every team has either the personnel, coaching or strategy to do that.

Canes have been the best possession team in the NHL for the last 3 seasons (Nat. Stat Trick only does 3 years). And it's not just due to "taking a bunch of shots" because the CA/60 is #1 in the NHL and the CF/60 is #2.

Lastly, as I mentioned in another post, we have, (and have had) defensemen that take a lot of shots. By definition, a defenseman's shot is going to be a lower SH% shot. It's how the team plays. We don't have elite snipers so we focus on getting the puck on net and trying to get some dirty goals.

Being near the top of the list of outshooting but lost list isn't surprising to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad