GDT: Canes visiting in LA vs Kings

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Here here!! Don't be mad at the idiots in charge "move on" to the next rebuild it will be great!!!

Who said anything about a rebuild?

And I never said you couldn't be mad at the idiots in charge. But bitching and moaning on this board over and over and over again after every loss runs a little thin. Especially when the team isn't in nearly as poor of a shape as it's being made out to be.

Once again, this off-season, the prediction for most of this board was that we'd be a bubble team. And that was assuming most of our off-season decisions panned out. Clearly, they didn't, yet the team remains a bubble team. They're shooting at a historically low shooting percentage, yet they're still within throwing distance of a divisional playoff spot.

But please, tell me again how many goals Skinner has scored this year, or how Zykov was being misused, or how Staal and Williams shouldn't be given any ice time. I'm sure eager to hear about it again, and it's definitely opening the eyes of Waddell and Brindamour.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I have seen many people put Hurricanes' shooting % issues down to "shooting talent" but I am not sure. I looked at big league forwards who have played for the Canes and also for other teams (traded or UFA'd) and the forwards that I could think of, most had an almost immediate increase in sh% after being traded out of Carolina and a drop in sh% after joining the Canes. (I looked at the last 3 season of players like Williams/Stempniak/Ferland/Semin who had a long career before joining the Canes).

Only Ferland so far seems to be beating whatever is ailing Canes' forwards, with Stempniak breaking even:

YJDk97F.png

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Ferland’s case seems pretty easy to explain: Aho.
Actually Aho, Teravainen, and (ironically now) Zykov. Zykov assisted on two Ferland power play goals: one with a perfect quick pass from behind the net and the other when both crashed the net.
I do worry that Ferland, whose sh% is pretty much where it was at this point last season, is the opposite of Aho in that he scores in October and November then tapers off.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I have seen many people put Hurricanes' shooting % issues down to "shooting talent" but I am not sure. I looked at big league forwards who have played for the Canes and also for other teams (traded or UFA'd) and the forwards that I could think of, most had an almost immediate increase in sh% after being traded out of Carolina and a drop in sh% after joining the Canes. (I looked at the last 3 season of players like Williams/Stempniak/Ferland/Semin who had a long career before joining the Canes).

Only Ferland so far seems to be beating whatever is ailing Canes' forwards, with Stempniak breaking even:

YJDk97F.png

Most of those can be explained outside of Carolina's system. Skinner is on one of his hot streaks and Eichel is playing a role in driving it. Lindholm is basically tied to Gaudreau's hip right now. E. Staal got hurt and fell into a funk at the tail end of his run in Carolina. Semin had wrist surgery; he couldn't shoot anymore. Williams played on some really potent Capital teams. Look at his post-lockout (12-13) years in L.A. and his Carolina number is close.

J. Staal is an interesting case. He's played with better linemates at times than he had in Pittsburgh at. Sometimes, they were worse (remember Gerbe and Dwyer.) It could be a function of a shoot-happy system. It could also be that he peaked early in his career. Look at his last three years in Pittsburgh prior to his breakout (07-08 - 09-10) and it's pretty close to his Carolina average.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm sorry, but if you've followed the team this far, you're not "walking away" now. This stretch of games isn't even Top 5 of terrible Canes moments in the past decade.

If you stuck around a winless October, you're not abandoning them now. If you stuck around top-pairing defenseman Jay Harrison or first-liner Chad LaRose, you can't be overly concerned about the quality of the roster NOW of all times.

But hey, everyone's got their breaking point, and if this LA loss was inexplicablly yours, so be it. But frankly, I've seen the team in far direr straights than they're in at the moment and nary a peep from "the hardest of the hardcores."

So I get what you are saying- but consider this- those days were only a couple years removed from the last playoff appearance, and it was BEFORE the team initiated a rebuild.

These is the times a decade after the last playoffs and several years after a failed rebuild, and we're still watching the tires spin aimlessly while the sand is up to the axle. Apples and oranges from the feels of the bad old days. This is worse than the Jay Harrison days for me. It should be better by now.

A pissed fanbase means less people interested in buying tickets, buying merchandise, and tuning into TV broadcasts. The rule in business is that if one person takes the time to say it, they generally represent 10s or 100s who aren't saying it to you but feel the same way.

Those of us on these boards are the hardest of the hardcores. Yet posters who have been active here for years are actively talking about stepping back from watching this team or abandoning the team completely. At any functional organization, that wouldn't just be a warning, that would be a 5 alarm fire. But that said, this isn't exactly a functional organization. Even with Dundon's off ice improvements, the lack of commitment to putting a decent team on the ice continues to actively alienate fans. If the trend continues, the team will fail, and I find myself caring less and less. I just have to hope that the Caps won't be employing Wilson and Orpik by the time I'm forced to start rooting for them.

I think this board is capable of a 4 Chan level social media campaign that would get Dundon's attention, don't you?

He's active on Twitter, start there. imagine if the Canes FB page was brought to its knees by angst, Tripp, Forslund and Luke DeCock couldn't take a shit without listening to their phone ping with more tweets, every Canes article in the N+O being spammed with depraved comments about cheap bastard owners, punchy, space cadet coaches, and an endless parade of standard plugs with fast moving legs and chest logo seeking shots.

So I think that'd definitely get his attention. And/or get the team moved to Houston most ricky tick.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Here's another vote to stop the repeated bitching and moaning. It's why I have reduced my visits to this board...new guys are making things worse for the old crowd who'd found healthier ways to cope with this team sucking.

Read the room. Find a way to make it fun...that's the HFCanes M.O.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Who said anything about a rebuild?

And I never said you couldn't be mad at the idiots in charge. But *****ing and moaning on this board over and over and over again after every loss runs a little thin. Especially when the team isn't in nearly as poor of a shape as it's being made out to be.

Once again, this off-season, the prediction for most of this board was that we'd be a bubble team. And that was assuming most of our off-season decisions panned out. Clearly, they didn't, yet the team remains a bubble team. They're shooting at a historically low shooting percentage, yet they're still within throwing distance of a divisional playoff spot.

But please, tell me again how many goals Skinner has scored this year, or how Zykov was being misused, or how Staal and Williams shouldn't be given any ice time. I'm sure eager to hear about it again, and it's definitely opening the eyes of Waddell and Brindamour.

Zykov stuff is relatively new. Every team has whipping boys. When Rod doesn't make adjustments it makes it hard to have much new to say.

Maybe you can be the light and steer us to new and enlightening topics we are too dim to see.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Zykov stuff is relatively new. Every team has whipping boys. When Rod doesn't make adjustments it makes it hard to have much new to say.

Maybe you can be the light and steer us to new and enlightening topics we are too dim to see.

Well, instead of worrying about the past, which we can't change, how about we focus on what they could do in the future?

As in, instead of saying "Oh why did we trade Skinner?! Blah, blah, blah", something like "Well, Nylander's off the table, who else could we reasonably acquire that could help our struggling offense?"

You see how one is pointless moaning and the other encourages discussion about solutions? Here, I'll even start:

Looking at some of the bottom teams in the league, most of the really enticing pieces all have multi-year deals and/or aren't likely to be traded. However, Wayne Simmonds out of Philly could be an interesting pick up if they decide he's available. In addition, there's rumors of Tarasenko being a possible available piece from St. Louis, though obviously the price has to be high.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Oh, I can definitely change the future. My future... i.e. the one that's actually important.

I'll start by not renewing my season tickets.

That's telling. You're obviously a die-hard fan. I know several STH who called themselves die hards, but they stopped renewing 2 seasons ago or more. The 2009 run renewed the 2006 ferver in Raleigh, but it's 2018-19 and the well is drying up.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Or we just retain 1m on Hamilton. Draisaitl is young and signed long term. That is a heavy price to pay but I think it makes both teams better on ice.
If I'm reading their cap correctly, that wouldn't be enough. I like Draisaitl, but with the extra costs in this trade and their recent hire of Hitch, I can't see them doing a shakeup trade at this time. And you'd never convince their fans...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad