Confirmed with Link: Canes sign Sean Walker - 5 X 3.6

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I’m happy we’re not forcing Morrow into the lineup. A year in the AHL will be good for development. And he hopefully gets a few call ups this season to see how he’s progressing.
Plus, Morrow learns the Carolina way versus the independent Wolves way. Canes having control matters (this year in particular).

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I was originally mad at the potential of a 5 x $5M, thinking he was getting about $2M/yr too much...$3.6M/yr is much more palatable for a decent overall RHD man. He looks like a shot-blocking machine, which is something we need, decent defense, decent offense, probably not a standout anywhere though. I do wonder, once Burns leaves, who plays top pair with Slavin? I guess Morrow starts 3rd pair and Walker or Chatty would be 1RHD? Might be a bit rough.

On the bright side, we now have Slavin x8, Chatty & Ghost x3, Walker x5, with Nikishin & Morrow stepping in next year when Burns & Orlov leave...so our D is pretty set for a while pending someone playing their way in and forcing a trade out.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Hopefully everyone remembers that all new Canes defenseman suck for the first 40-50 games. The world is not ending when Walker inevitably sucks in the beginning as he learns the Canes system.

I will send this reminder as the season starts... But it took Hamilton, Burns, Orlov all about 40-50 games until they settled in on D in a Canes uniform. Will probably take our new long term defensemen a half season as well.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Hopefully everyone remembers that all new Canes defenseman suck for the first 40-50 games. The world is not ending when Walker inevitably sucks in the beginning as he learns the Canes system.

I will send this reminder as the season starts... But it took Hamilton, Burns, Orlov all about 40-50 games until they settled in on D in a Canes uniform. Will probably take our new long term defensemen a half season as well.
I will like this post but still retain the right to complain long and loudly about suckage after the 1st preseason game.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah I may be misremembering or sour grapes-ing or whatever but these descriptions don’t sound all that different from skjei when they brought him in
He’s a good player, he’s a good two way guy. I don’t know that there’s a lot of development left though he can excel in our system. I wanted him as a rental last deadline. I watched him with the Avs and he really faded when the grind of the playoffs happened. I don’t know if he got hurt or if it was the adjustment to a new team but he started hot and very much fizzled. He was essentially invisible at the end. It’s a matter of expectations, he’s somewhere in the 4-6 range usually. Sometimes he pops as a three for awhile but I don’t think he’s that guy with consistency. He’s a good fit for us. For me it’s just tough to let go of our ability to play tough defense when stuck in our zone. Losing size and grit when it’s not our strong suit, as Walker isn’t the most physical defender. I see this as a good regular season fit, which goes with our mantra of being a playoff team every year.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I like the 6 year term as it gives us what is likely a 2RHD for 2 or 3 years and then a solid 3RHD for the remainder of the contract. $2 million per year by then will be pretty standard for a solid 3rd pairing defenseman.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad