Confirmed with Link: Canes sign LW William Carrier - 6 years/2M per

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I really don't get why we're going so hard on term, bonuses, NTCs. Nothing against the player, but kinda odd to go through all this trouble for someone who's a solid 3rd liner if all goes well. And given he's about to turn 30 this year and seems to struggle to stay healthy...can't say we should be all that confident he can make it through the next 6 years cleanly.

Also if league minimum goes up above 775k during the last 4 years of the contract, we'd have to true up his base salary to meet the new minimum which would increase his cap hit. Obviously wouldn't be a huge amount, but typically something you'd only see for elite players who were getting max bonuses, e.g. Matthews or Aho on the offer sheet contract.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Analytic darling. Not sexy, but solid depth piece.
was curious about his analytics. thanks.

assuming no more trades, i would roll the following;

carrier-aho-jarvis
marty-necas-svech
Kk-kuzy-drury
lemieux-staal-fast

extra; robinson

unconventional perhaps but i'm thinking the team focuses on pairs up front: aho-jarvis and necas-svech to generate scorong. Carrier can be a poor man's ferland without the intimidation factor. I think now is the time to try necas at center and mend the fences with the guy. team is desperate for sooring right now so show faith in him at C. if he embraces the opportunity, both he and the team benefit. RBA has to be flexible this year given the drop off up front. necas will get an arbritration contract or can sign a one year bridge with the canes so use this year to figure out we they have. He's ready and capable IMO. KK is not a center after last year. I like svech on his offwing and paired with necas, you have two fast, possesion capable players with dipshit KK trailing behind the rush.

scoring and epth scoring in particular will be an issue up front so they will rely heavily on their best offensive players. if with necas playing center, he will generate offense and it removes him from board battles and some of the grinding which he is not great at.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Jesus, what the hell did he do to earn a NMC/NTC?
Or six years. 2 million Im fine with if the team thinks he worth that aspect. NMC and six years?

He’s played in 39, 56, 63 and 52 games over the previous four years. He had 71 the year before that, but the rest of his career reflects the last four.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
He offered the same kind of playing style of size, physical play, forecheck, etc for $2M per year instead of $3m+…. This type of player was getting paid in UFA this offseason more so than in years past…

He guarantees himself 6 years of that even if he hurts himself more…. We get the savings throughout the contract term and get the player we want at a reduced cap hit for the current years of the deal, with it being even less of a concern as the cap climbs…

In some respects a NMC makes even more sense for a guy like this than a super star. The super star is already making generational wealth money and won’t blink about having to figure out selling mansions etc. they also aren’t moved very often at all in this highly conservative league where GMs are scared to take big swings.., but guys in the lower half of your roster making this kind of salary on a good contract get bounced around much easier for less reason…. So knowing he will be stable on the same team has real value to the player (especially given his play style and fear that if he is hurt often the team may want to dump him) and likely meant we got him for less AAV as a result…

The NMC is a demand and expected on the big superstar deals and you don’t get a AAV discount for it. It’s just an extra perk demanded for the signature…. In this case it likely also helped sign the player, but at a better price overall as well…

Joshua got 4 x 3.25M with only one highly suspect season of scoring… given his shooting percentage I’d be shocked if he comes close to that again.. Marty got 3x$3M.

We got a guy more physical than those two for $2M per season…. He does get hurt playing as physical as he does. He chose long term stability and gave up some AAV to get it. Works great for both of us. If he brings what I liked seeing in Vegas here, I found my next personalized jersey. I haven’t gotten a personalized jersey since Vašíček …. Was debating between Jarvis and Kochetkov this offseason when I got one of the closeout Adidas ones as the Fanatics stuff is garbage. He is exactly what we have needed for taking forechecking to the next level of physicality in the playoffs and being harder to play against. I really like this deal.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Carrier wont play another 3 years. And he will be injured half the time.

Ferland / Kase / Etc

DOnt get me wrong, I like the Carrier pickup, but he will be LTIRetired long before this contract ever sees dusk, and we all know it.

Reactions: Deon Thompson

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Carrier wont play another 3 years. And he will be injured half the time.

Ferland / Kase / Etc

DOnt get me wrong, I like the Carrier pickup, but he will be LTIRetired long before this contract ever sees dusk, and we all know it.

Which is fine. It allows the Canes to go over the cap by $2M if that happens.

Maybe the Canes insured the contract because of injuries, and thus if he's LTIR'd, they are covered. If not, it's Dundon's money, not mine.

I agree with you that the injuries concern me though.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm not going to say that I'm glad for the term or the protections, but there really is almost no chance this hurts in any significant way. If it does, it's likely in conjunction with much bigger mistakes that would sink us anyways. And there's a pretty good chance it works out perfectly well for what the player provides.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Or six years. 2 million Im fine with if the team thinks he worth that aspect. NMC and six years?

He’s played in 39, 56, 63 and 52 games over the previous four years. He had 71 the year before that, but the rest of his career reflects the last four.
worth mentioning the 52 was nearly a full season (that was the covid year, so 56 was total GP)

doesn't really change the overall point, however

ElmCityGuy

Apr 20, 2023
So instead of signing this guy why didn't the Canes just go with one of the young guys they drafted the past few years and give him his chance?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
we dont draft bottom 6 guys. Carrier is a bottom 6 guy
The argument against drafting them is they’re easy to acquire and cheap. This contract isn’t helping the argument. Two million isn’t the end of the world, and if it was a two to three year contract I’d probably not have said a thing. Term and nmc espcially with his health makes this one odd.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The argument against drafting them is they’re easy to acquire and cheap. This contract isn’t helping the argument. Two million isn’t the end of the world, and if it was a two to three year contract I’d probably not have said a thing. Term and nmc espcially with his health makes this one odd.
i dont disagree with the length and clauses lessening the value of the deal. He has the potential to be another top end bottom 6 player for about 60-70% the price of top end bottom 6 player.

he scored at the same 5v5 ppg rate as Noesen the last 3 seasons and is a better skater. we'll see if he can stay healthy to show enough value.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i dont disagree with the length and clauses lessening the value of the deal. He has the potential to be another top end bottom 6 player for about 60-70% the price of top end bottom 6 player.

he scored at the same 5v5 ppg rate as Noesen the last 3 seasons and is a better skater. we'll see if he can stay healthy to show enough value.
He may have similar numbers but I see Noesen as the more versatile player so he’s worth more imo. Noesen can play up the lineup as a scorer if needed and can help a pp. He’s someone you’d consider throwing out in the last minute of a game with the goalie pulled.

Carrier has gotten over 10 goals once, isn’t a guy you’d put on a pp. I think he’s a better for the fourth line role Noesen had though. Take the odd contract issues out and he’s a solid pickup.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
He may have similar numbers but I see Noesen as the more versatile player so he’s worth more imo. Noesen can play up the lineup as a scorer if needed and can help a pp. He’s someone you’d consider throwing out in the last minute of a game with the goalie pulled.

Carrier has gotten over 10 goals once, isn’t a guy you’d put on a pp. I think he’s a better for the fourth line role Noesen had though. Take the odd contract issues out and he’s a solid pickup.
noesen's skating always prevented him from being anything more than an emergency play up guy.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad