Speculation: Canes roster building thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm convinced that the Canes will be picking in the 7-10 range this year unless they luck out in the lottery, so while I'd love to add one of Matthews, Puljujarvi, Laine, and Tkachuk, IMO, they are not very likely.

A couple of questions for the guys on this board that follow prospects:

1) who are some forward candidates that might be around in after those 4 that might be of interest to Carolina?
2) Assuming the King's pick is 25-30, who are some potential targets there?
3) Any goalies worth taking a shot at in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds?

Last edited:

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
I'm convinced that the Canes will be picking in the 7-10 range this year unless they luck out in the lottery, so while I'd love to add one of Matthews, Puljujarvi, Laine, and Tkachuk, IMO, they are not very likely.

1) who are some forward candidates that might be around in after those 4 that might be of interest to Carolina?

Has there been an updated mock draft released recently?

1) I like Logan Brown. IF Eric and maybe even Jordan go, Carolina needs centers. Logan Brown is a big dude.. and he was born in Raleigh.. correct?
2) I'm not sure if he drops this far, but I also like Gettinger.
3) Zach Sawchenko?

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Think it is very even in the first ten for forwards, like Tkachuk, Puljujärvi, Laine, DeBrincat, Nylander, Gauthier, and Matthews of course.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

The forward candidates that I'd like to see us keep on our radar are:

1. Jesse Puljujarvi (because Matthews and Tkachuk are not going to be there when we pick there) - but probably won't be available when we pick
2. Patrik Laine - also likely won't be there but some have him in the 7-10 range
3. Julien Gauthier - size and scoring; likely available in the 10-15 range
4. Logan Brown - local boy done real good; probably a 15-20 pick
5. Max Jones - point per game player; probably a good candidate for the LA pick
6. Pierre-Luc Dubois - pure scorer who has fluctuated fairly widely in draft rankings
7. Michael McLeod - a center with grit, size, and speed who is "tough to play against"

I'd take any three of those guys and would especially love one of the two Finns, but I think both will be gone before we pick. None of the others are going to help in 2016-17. I would not be surprised to see one of Brown, Jones, or McLeod grabbed with the LA pick.

If we acquire a 3rd 1st rounder I'd assume it to be late in the 1st round. I'd also assume that we'd grab another forward with that pick. I could see Carl Grundstrom or Brett Howden as one of our choices with that pick too.

I'd be absolutely astonished if we picked a goalie with our 2nd round pick. I expect us to snag the best goalie prospect available in the 4th or 5th round (maybe one of the two 3rds). Despite the seemingly poor play of the Ward/Lack combo, we have 3 solid prospects in Altshuller, Nedeljkovic, and Booth all progressing nicely. Altshuller is 4-0 with a sub 2.0 GAA and a SV% of .937 since coming to Charlotte. Neds has been on fire since the trade and is playing well in the WJC. Callum Booth was the most recent player of the week in the QMJHL.

We've got 5 or 6 pretty intriguing forward prospects in the juniors right now and I'd be surprised if we didn't see a pretty significant changing of the guard down in Charlotte. With guys like Aho, Wallmark, Roy, Foegele, Cotton, Bishop, and Lorentz all beginning to show their stuff, it wouldn't surprise me to see four of those guys in the A next year. Roy won't be age-available which poses an interesting problem as he's already proving to be a man among boys this year in the Q. My guess is that we'll see Aho, Bishop, Wallmark, and Foegele on the Checkers next year and Lorentz likely in FL. That represents two new significant scorers, a pivot with mad passing skills, and a solid grinder who can put the puck in the net when called on.

I'm assuming all of Gerbe, Nash, Terry, and Jordan are gone next year. As I think we're just below bubble status, I'm guessing both Versteeg and Liles get moved too. It goes without saying that we'll likely move Eric as I'm not hearing much about contract negotiations. Hainsey's NTC will keep hm from going anywhere but a solid playoff contender.

That's my two cents worth....

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
McLeod and Gauthier are shaping up to be legit contenders with Pulju, Laine, and Tkachuk in that 2nd tier of forwards. I'd be happy with any of them at 2-10. Heck I even like Chychrun, Sergachyev and Juolevi but the Canes need forwards.

With LA's pick DeBrincat would be my ideal pick. Love the way he plays. Max Jones, Asplund, Brown, and Sokolov also interest me but there is still a long way to go.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Logan Brown never spent any real time here in the Triangle, did he? He was born 3/5/98 and his Dad was traded right around that timeframe to Toronto. From what I can tell, they ended up in St. Louis after Jeff retired.

Havoq

Havoq
Apr 24, 2013
Raleigh, NC
The thought of us getting Puljujarvi and him lining with Aho for the Canes is off the charts appealing.

Make it happen Ron

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Just watching some of the highlights, it really looks like Laine is going to be a monster. He has a great shot already, looks like he has some skill, is big and looks like he's not afraid to throw his weight around.

What are his drawbacks?

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Max Jones is a guy I think could be a great pick if he's taken somewhere in the 20s

Doesn't get the same type of icetime as Tkachuk in London but I don't think he's far off him as a prospect

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Logan Brown never spent any real time here in the Triangle, did he? He was born 3/5/98 and his Dad was traded right around that timeframe to Toronto. From what I can tell, they ended up in St. Louis after Jeff retired.

**** off wet blanket, he's a Raleigh kid. :)

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Aside from spearing a guy on the biggest stage of his life, how does he play?

Watched him more last year, particularly in the last OHL Playoffs, but he obviously has great offensive instincts and an NHL shot. To me he is ranked lower solely because of his size but his size really doesn't hold back his game. In my viewings he has appeared extremely aggressive, confident and determined shift-by-shift. Like a Gerbe with five times the offensive ability but half the pest. I think he can overcome being a small NHLer and in general smaller players are finding more consistent success in the NHL.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Yeah I'm not too high on Tkachuk, well I guess not high on him is wrong but I'm just not a huge fan of him. Maybe he'll change at the pro level but he's such a rat that it's even hard for me cheer for him when he's playing for the Knights. I'm sure scouts will see it as a positive but it just rubs me the wrong way.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So looking closer at the Canes UFAs/RFAs cap situation. If they don't re-sign any UFAs or RFA Jordan, give Rask the same deal as Lindholm, bump up Nordstrom to $850K and we include Fleury and McGinn (Placeholders), the Canes come in at $43.5M vs. a floor of $52.8M. That team looks like:

Forwards (9): Lindholm, Staal, Nordstrom, Nestrasil, Rask, Skinner, PDG, McGinn, McClement.
Defense (7): Faulk, Wiz, Hainsey, Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce, Fleury.
Goalie (1): Lack

So likely, the Canes need to spend between $10M-$20M on a goalie and 4-5 forwards. I can't remember the last time the Canes have had to spend that much.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I think Aho plays here next year and if we end up with a top 5 pick, most likely that forward also, then Eric is likely back.

I'm thinking:

Skinner - Rask - PDG
Laine (my ideal 2016 pick) - Lindholm - Aho
Eric - Jordan - Nestrasil
Nordstrom - McClement - McGinn

Hanifin - Faulk
Fluery - Wiz
Hainsey - Pesce
Slavin

Lack
????

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't want either of those things to happen.

By either, which 2 of the 3 he listed do you not want?

1) Aho playing here next year
2) Picking Laine with a top 5 pick
3) Eric Staal coming back

Or did you mean all of the above?

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I think Aho plays here next year and if we end up with a top 5 pick, most likely that forward also, then Eric is likely back.

I'm thinking:

Skinner - Rask - PDG
Laine (my ideal 2016 pick) - Lindholm - Aho
Eric - Jordan - Nestrasil
Nordstrom - McClement - McGinn

Hanifin - Faulk
Fluery - Wiz
Hainsey - Pesce
Slavin

Lack
????

Slavin will be in the top 4 next year. I think Hainsey will be okay as a bottom pairing player but I'd rather try to get rid of him and have a Liles/Pesce bottom pairing. Fleury can season in Charlotte.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
By either, which 2 of the 3 he listed do you not want?

1) Aho playing here next year
2) Picking Laine with a top 5 pick
3) Eric Staal coming back

Or did you mean all of the above?

Haha, I went back and forth a handful of times on whether to clarify that I was referring to Aho and Eric (couldn't make sense of the middle part of his sentence).
Basically, I don't want Aho in the NHL next season (would prefer a full season in the AHL), nor do I want Eric back.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
So, what are we going to trade to get #2 (Laine) and #3 (Pulju) picks at 2016 draft? :dunce:

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Just watching some of the highlights, it really looks like Laine is going to be a monster. He has a great shot already, looks like he has some skill, is big and looks like he's not afraid to throw his weight around.

What are his drawbacks?

He has no real drawbacks. Of course you never really know what's going to happen in the future but he's been improving his game steadily and already possesses a monster shot from every position, one timer, snapshot... His hands are silky smooth and he's huge, 195cm.

I guess something could go wrong but he looks like a future superstar to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad