Confirmed with Link: Canes re-sign Martinook - 3 years/3.05 per

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Every team needs a Jordan Martinook type in the room. They just do. I don't know about any of the new guys, but there sure as shit isn't anyone that projects that way from the holdovers. Would I have liked to see him come in at $2.5 mil? Sure, but he made $2.7 mil last year so he was due a raise, espescially with the cap going up.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I've settled a bit and realized this is just the cost of good 3rd liners these days...I just wish he was more physical...fist year he was lighting guys up and a big part of our late energy & push. Past few years he's <1/game after being like 2/game first couple years

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Martinook is great. People can say oh he’s got all the intangibles but especially in the playoffs he’s stepped up his tangibles pretty well too. Last year against the devils, the big goal against the islanders, the goal line save against the rangers… He’s not a superstar but he’s a solid player and they cost money

Yeah, I have zero problems with the term and cost of this contract.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
That press conference video was interesting from the perspective of how blatant the tampering is becoming. It is so pervasive it sure seems like that is not ever going to be addressed….. he freely admits on camera to the press that he had multiple offers a week ago and was planning to go elsewhere….

I don’t know…. Maybe it’s my negative bias…. But for players we want to keep and losing them, something about it makes me think if there was a team or owner that would complain about it, it might be ours…. We do right by players from the perspective that we do give permission to pending UFA to get the best options for them. So I expect many likely all they would have to do would be have the agents ask for permission…. But the way Martinook said it, not sure he had official permission so much as his agent just flat out had gotten all the offers worked out ahead of time and Martinook left money on the table because he wanted to stay here…..

So basically the whole plan got torn up when Guentzel decided to move on. It would appear the team wasn’t budgeting for being able to afford Martinook if Guentzel stayed with their total set of plans for signings, trades etc…. So for certain fans of the team that are also big Marty fans, maybe it’s a good thing Guentzel did what he did and is gone as the offer from the canes only came in within the last day or two right at the start of free agent frenzy……they wouldnt have Marty to cheer for without things working out how they did…..

Find the positive, right? :)

Reactions: MinJaBen

Deon Thompson

Feb 27, 2022
Jordan Martinook is awesome. I wish Rod never played him ever in the top 6, not for the obvious reasons, but because I think it gets in the way of folks appreciating his value sometimes. Glad he's back.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Angst about top line or top six Marty tends to be rather overblown in comparison to how often it actually happens and the impact it has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad