Canes name Eric Tulsky GM (Remove the "Acting" Title)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Canes aren’t going to spend money. Shocker.
Dundon is definitely "thrifty" when it comes to off-ice personnel as he feels there are many competent people who can do the job (even said that publicly) and he wants to spend the money on the ice. He also believes heavily in a collaborative front office vs. a traditional front office where a high priced GM makes the calls. Same goes for other front office positions.

Under Francis/Karmanos, they had all sorts of "special consultants" they were paying for who knows what. Joe Nieuwendyk was some sort of consultant that lived in Dallas. Glen Wesley was director of defense and had moved to the west coast. etc..etc.. Yet on the ice, the Canes were usually a cap floor team under Karmanos save for a few seasons.

Dundon flipped that. Eliminates waste at the top and spends more on the ice. They pretty much spent to the cap every year that last few years and even had to take advantage of LTIR at least one of those years.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Two major differences here is age and experience. Tulsky and Dubas both entered the NHL around 2014, but Dubas was 29 and Tulsky was 40. Dubas was hired as a GM in 2018 when he was only 33. Tulsky has worked his way up the chain working with old-school hockey scouts and executives for a decade and has finally been hired as a GM in his late 40s. Don't even get me started on Chayka, who was basically a 26 year old kid with a year's experience when he got a GM gig. Yeah, they all have an analytical background, but Tulsky's brand is the more mature and wise version of that approach.

After reading several interviews with Tulsky I'm pretty sure something he brings is a history of successfully leading and managing teams in other disciplines before he even started in hockey. I suspect that skill is overlooked and or underappreciated by many.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
After reading several interviews with Tulsky I'm pretty sure something he brings is a history of successfully leading and managing teams in other disciplines before he even started in hockey. I suspect that skill is overlooked and or underappreciated by many.

And It's not like the Canes hired some whiz kid with little experience. He had been working in the Canes front office for 10 years and has been a key member of the group making decisions in Carolina for the last 6 years.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Two major differences here is age and experience. Tulsky and Dubas both entered the NHL around 2014, but Dubas was 29 and Tulsky was 40. Dubas was hired as a GM in 2018 when he was only 33. Tulsky has worked his way up the chain working with old-school hockey scouts and executives for a decade and has finally been hired as a GM in his late 40s. Don't even get me started on Chayka, who was basically a 26 year old kid with a year's experience when he got a GM gig. Yeah, they all have an analytical background, but Tulsky's brand is the more mature and wise version of that approach.
It's also very much worth noting that he took over responsibility for all of pro scouting a number of years ago (forget exactly when), not just the analytics side. He has, in interviews, talked about learning to integrate the traditional scouting and human side for a holistic picture.

He's not a spreadsheets over everything guy, at least anymore. When he first started in the NHL, sure, the spreadsheets were his job and that's what he knew. He was one input among many and the more senior people integrated the analytics and more traditional scouting. But for years now, he has been that more senior guy integrating both the quantitative and qualitative side of scouting, and has been doing a damn good job of it. The Canes have had misses, but they hit a lot more than they miss.

Dubas and Chayka did not have the experience bridging analytics and traditional scouting that Tulsky has had for a while now.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Canes aren’t going to spend money. Shocker.
Ah yes, wouldn't be a Canes MB thread without this moronic take popping up! Guess you're still mad about 2006? Dundon puts most of our money into things that affect the on-ice product because that's how a smaller market team is going to maintain the draw needed for profitability. Tulsky has been with the team a long time and has even been allowed to interview with other teams, so I'm sure if we weren't making a competitive financial offer with that he'd walk. Stop with the stupidity

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Then why hasn't it happened already? Much like how it was likely Necas was moved before game 1 by this interm/not interm gm

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Not surprising. He's been the de facto GM for some time.

Just curious whether Dundon tries to bring in some OBC to be President of Hockey Ops or something, so they keep their Hockey Man cred.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
giphy09u.gif

Reactions: BLNY

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Not surprising. He's been the de facto GM for some time.

Just curious whether Dundon tries to bring in some OBC to be President of Hockey Ops or something, so they keep their Hockey Man cred.
Chuck Fletcher is waiting by the phone

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Hiring a guy with no hockey experience and he went to med school. What could possibly go wrong? 🤔

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hiring a guy with no hockey experience and he went to med school. What could possibly go wrong? 🤔
They probably should hire an experienced "hockey guy" to work with him(unless they already have an AGM who fits that mold) but he's already seen Waddell work for a few years and is the smartest guy holding a GM position in the league so I think there's a higher chance he's a great GM instead of a bad one.

People who make the Chayka/Dubas comps really don't realize that they don't belong in the same tier as him, Chayka especially was more in sports psychology/science than analytics. And neither of them have accomplished as much as Tulsky has as individuals. It's the same as all "hockey guys" not being the same, there's a difference between Joe Sakic and Jim Benning.

Reactions: cptjeff and bossram

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad