Friedman: Canes likely moving on from Necas.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't understand why the Canes would give KK a longterm contract when he never deserved it or proved he was worth it, and won't give Necas one after he has proved he's worth it and is deserving of it.

What exactly is the strategy here?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He can re-sign aftet July 1st, and with the Jets under-utilizing him he won't cost a lot :laugh:

Another absolutely sparkling example of where JFresh doesn't have the slightest bit of a clue and those charts are basically made up eye candy.

Ehlers played like 80% of his even strength minutes (Top-5 in EVTOI GP overall) with at least one if not more of Scheifele/Connor/Perfetti or Monahan/Toffoli after the trade. That's undeniably Top-6 deployment. That's playing with offensive players in Top-6 minutes. His stupid graphical interpretation model just doesn't know how to account for a beastly huge minutes matchup Center like Lowry eating up icetime. People gripe because Appleton plays a lot at even strength...but it's purely because he plays extensively with Lowry in a matchup "shutdown" capacity. Just happens to be a huge chunk of minutes because you want Lowry out there a ton, whichever coach you are really.

Even the Powerplay thing is totally overblown. Multiple coaches haven't liked Ehlers fit there, but they still hand him boatload of powerplay minutes anyway. It's just not always first unit minutes because he doesn't mesh well with other personnel involved.

Calling his deployment "3rd Liner" is ridiculous and demonstrates a lack of any nuance in a completely flawed stat-brain analysis that isn't even looking at the right stats. :laugh:

No idea what sort of point you’re trying to make here.

The Jets don’t value Ehlers?

I think the main point is that JFresh charts are utterly useless.

But the secondary point might be that...Ehlers is of next to zero use to Carolina anyway. But idk.

If Canes were to swap Necas for an impending UFA...it'd surely be for someone who actually fills a need. A Nelson, Buchnevich, Konecny type. But that's still pretty much the polar opposite of how the Canes have done business under Dundon. And have still expressed very little interest in signing older UFAs to long-term deals. Though maybe the Guentzel thing is a sign that the paradigm is shifting a little bit to accomodate for something like that.

A Brock Nelson for Necas trade would certainly be an interesting pivot in direction from both clubs. But i don't see it happening. It'd lock down a real #2C for Carolina and a goal-scorer to boot. It'd re-orient the Isles more back toward the future a bit, getting younger.

Reactions: wetcoast and DaveG

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Another absolutely sparkling example of where JFresh doesn't have the slightest bit of a clue and those charts are basically made up eye candy.

Ehlers played like 80% of his even strength minutes (Top-5 in EVTOI GP overall) with at least one if not more of Scheifele/Connor/Perfetti or Monahan/Toffoli after the trade. That's undeniably Top-6 deployment. That's playing with offensive players in Top-6 minutes. His stupid graphical interpretation model just doesn't know how to account for a beastly huge minutes matchup Center like Lowry eating up icetime. People gripe because Appleton plays a lot at even strength...but it's purely because he plays extensively with Lowry in a matchup "shutdown" capacity. Just happens to be a huge chunk of minutes because you want Lowry out there a ton, whichever coach you are really.

Even the Powerplay thing is totally overblown. Multiple coaches haven't liked Ehlers fit there, but they still hand him boatload of powerplay minutes anyway. It's just not always first unit minutes because he doesn't mesh well with other personnel involved.

Calling his deployment "3rd Liner" is ridiculous and demonstrates a lack of any nuance in a completely flawed stat-brain analysis that isn't even looking at the right stats. :laugh:

I think the main point is that JFresh charts are utterly useless.

But the secondary point might be that...Ehlers is of next to zero use to Carolina anyway. But idk.

If Canes were to swap Necas for an impending UFA...it'd surely be for someone who actually fills a need. A Nelson, Buchnevich, Konecny type. But that's still pretty much the polar opposite of how the Canes have done business under Dundon. And have still expressed very little interest in signing older UFAs to long-term deals. Though maybe the Guentzel thing is a sign that the paradigm is shifting a little bit to accomodate for something like that.

A Brock Nelson for Necas trade would certainly be an interesting pivot in direction from both clubs. But i don't see it happening. It'd lock down a real #2C for Carolina and a goal-scorer to boot. It'd re-orient the Isles more back toward the future a bit, getting younger.
Ya, maybe jfresh should focus his concentration on re-evaluating his numbers and charts.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
They're not going outside the organization for a goalie. Kochetkov is a strong bet to be the Game 1 starter next April. Andersen was deference to the established. Kochetkov will be established next season.

Reactions: Chan790

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Faber was likely going to br a very good player coming out of college. Minnesota seeing him play at the University. He was not some maybe prospect and he was a RD which increases his value than if he was a LD
He was not projected to be a #1 D-man. Optimistically he was projected as a #3 who was more defense-oriented

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Not for Carolina.

I know this is hard to believe, but we're not looking for a goalie. Not in a Necas trade...and not anywhere else. Our goalies next year are the guys we already have.
“We don’t need a goalie” is exactly what was said all season long this year too.

Look what happened… you lost due to goaltending.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
“We don’t need a goalie” is exactly what was said all season long this year too.

I think they are going to run with Koch next year. I'm not a canes fan, but I'd be moderately surprised if they make a big goalie move.

Andersen and Koch platooning during the season with Koch taking over the primary one role in the playoffs

Reactions: Stickpucker

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

I didn't say "we don't need a goalie"

I said we will not acquire a goalie...as in, our FO refuses to invest beyond the barest minimum in net and believes the best goaltending is a stout defense.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
I don't understand why the Canes would give KK a longterm contract when he never deserved it or proved he was worth it, and won't give Necas one after he has proved he's worth it and is deserving of it.

What exactly is the strategy here?
Necas will not sign for less than 5M.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Contract projection on necas for seven years from evolving hockey was 7.5 from what I read. In case anyone was curious what that price point is looking like (not sure on other terms, article only addressed 7 years)

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
You are both right. This talk of top 4 RD or 2C are f***ing insane. Necas is Ehlers a few years ago.
Need to point something out. It's weird, grind mentality of the Canes front office. Always be unambiguously improving. Every move. Every day. Every game.

The Canes in the Dundon era don't sell or recoup. They won't ever retreat or plan to rebuild. They only do creative destruction to advance...not for the future, in the present. They don't make deals where the expected best asset isn't coming to Carolina or they don't feel like they win the transaction. Like, not even one time.

Outside of marginal asset trades (like Cade Webber for a pick), the Canes don't value or trade for futures. They treat opportunity and cap space as assets with assigned values. Futures are things they tack onto current assets to acquire better assets. That's their trade MO.

There's basically no chance the Canes trade Necas for multiple assets, picks, or futures. There is a virtual certainty they trade Necas either straight across, or more likely, with a plus, possibly a big plus, for what they're looking for.

If they can't get that deal, much like the Pesce offers at the draft last year, they'll kick the can and pull him off the market before they'll make a move that doesn't make them better now than yesterday and fit the plan.

I don't know that it's the right approach. It feels unsustainable and like eventually there's going to be a crash that takes you to the bottom bottom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad