Friedman: Canes likely moving on from Necas.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
What are the canes main needs? Pv has been open about wanting a rh shot forward…. Necas seems like an ideal target.

Maybe dostal/gudas can recruit him at worlds… canes are a tough one because they have a good roster + exciting prospects coming up…. I don’t know that they really have glaring holes
Top 4RD and 2C are their main needs.

They might be able to snag an up and coming RD for Necas, who knows. I doubt they get a 2C.

They’ve offered him up as the main piece for the likes of Pettersson and M Tkachuk. That’s not to suggest they’re going to get a player of that caliber back for his rights, but more so to illustrate how the Canes value him, which is pretty high.

They don’t “have to” trade him, but I think they will. And they’ll likely be looking at a 1st + high end prospect if the past is any sort of guide.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

They might be able to snag an up and coming RD for Necas, who knows. I doubt they get a 2C.

They’ve offered him up as the main piece for the likes of Pettersson and M Tkachuk. That’s not to suggest they’re going to get a player of that caliber back for his rights, but more so to illustrate how the Canes value him, which is pretty high.

They don’t “have to” trade him, but I think they will. And they’ll likely be looking at a 1st + high end prospect if the past is any sort of guide.
Ah, flyers have same needs so maybe not a good fit lol

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
In fairness, I think that offer has been a counter to their ask of Jarvis, whom Canes have not been willing to give. Necas has been the next best piece which Canes have had, and as evident, didn't make the trade happen.

I'm pretty sure that the return will underwhelm, even if the Canes (fans)' ask isn't very unrealistic from the get-go.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Ya I’m sure they can package him for a big piece if 1 was to become available…. Idk that anahiem has any big pieces in that sense.

I imagine if pv is hellbent on moving zegras, that may make some sort of sense from both sides.

We have centers up the wazoo(but outside of zegras I can’t see any being available) …. Rhd we are light on…. But in theory could add a couple in this draft.

Ian moore doesn’t seem likely to sign with us…. Big rhd with potential…. But had a pretty meh season this year

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
#16 + Brandon Saad? (Figure Saad fits car’s style of play and would be a perfect middle 6’er for them)

I know most HF’ers probably assume Saad is trash now, he obviously doesn’t produce like he used too, but he’s actually still a solid player. He brings quality 200 ft play speed and consistent puck mgmt, does all the little things right and still has some scoring touch. I think he’d be a fine addition to any playoff/ cup contenders 3rd line.

Blues don’t need him given where we’re at in our “re-whatever”.

Totally understand if canes fans want more quality in a deal for necas, just figured given the cap situation maybe a little bit of trade value/leverage is lost and they’d still get a 1st+ solid NHL forward back for a skill guy playing down on a middle 6 role already anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
He'd be a great fit for many teams.

A few ideas:

Nashville - 1st, 2nd and Dante Fabbro (UFA next year but could be extended).

Minesota - Something around Marco Rossi

Calgary - Rasmus Andersson

LA - Something around Brandt Clarke

Utah - Something around Connor Geekie or JJ Moser

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Zacha and Pasta. Marty could make that a party. Linus goes to LA and things go to Canes.
Linus blocked LA

A few ideas:

Nashville - 1st, 2nd and Dante Fabbro (UFA next year but could be extended).

Calgary - Rasmus Andersson

LA - Something around Brandt Clarke

Utah - Something around Connor Geekie or JJ Moser
C ln ark isnt being moved and jesus worth much more than necas

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
While Faber has turned out great, I think most didn’t think the return at the time was all that high.
Faber was likely going to br a very good player coming out of college. Minnesota seeing him play at the University. He was not some maybe prospect and he was a RD which increases his value than if he was a LD

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If CAR can't afford him, how can MN with their 15M in cap penalties?
I don’t know that the Canes can’t afford him as much as won’t. Necas likely wants out, and they won’t pay him what he wants and may never give him the role he wants. I wouldn’t assume his contract will be monstrous. It isn’t an ugly relationship at all, but it just doesn’t feel like he’s going to hit his stride with the Canes. He free wheels and the Canes won’t free wheel, for better or worse. Never found a great linemate either. I thought he looked good on occasions with Aho but he never could keep that job with RBA. That doesn’t mean he couldn’t keep that job anywhere else.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Pass again.

Canes should aim higher
Like what?

The title said they were ready to move on from him. That sounds like a team who’s going to take the highest offer at or near the draft.

To me, Necas is too inconsistant and I think that is the issue from the Canes FO and the reason why they want to move on. He’s had one great season followed by a meh one, then another great season followed by another meh one, not to mention he was a total ghost for Carolina through yet another playoff run.

Other teams FO aren’t stupid. They watched his run this year and a lot of question mark have yet to be answered for Necas. I suspect not a lot of GMs would be willing to take the risk of a long term deal with big money for Necas - and it seems like Carolina ain’t either.

I don’t think any teams are going to pay a premium for him. I wouldn’t get anywhere close to a 1st + high end prospect and again, I’d be very, very concerned to give this guy 7-7.5M+ long term

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
EP

For

Necas
Nikishin
No. Tempting, but no. Our defensive depth chart behind Nikishin is poor. We can't move him, we need him to pan out.
Sabres should add Rosen to that
So...a 1st we don't want because we're looking for NHL assets, a defenseman who doesn't live up to his potential, and a spec whose ceiling is another Necas...who we're moving because he's a poor fit.

Take that offer and figure what you'd offer off the Sabres for that package if someone else proposed it. Try offering that instead.

Would Crouse and a 2nd get it done?
That's my favorite offer yet.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

A few ideas:

I don't really want Guerin to move Rossi. But, with as much smoke as there is around that rumor, I expect that's likely what happens.

That said, I wouldn't mind a Rossi+ for Necas trade. However, like 57Special said, if the Wild can't afford other players, they sure can't afford Necas.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
I still think a deal around Ehlers could make sense for both sides.

The Ducks said they are looking for a right handed top 6 winger, so I can definitely see them having interest. My personal offer would be EDM 1st (likely pick #24) + LaCombe. The Ducks will not be the best trading parter for CAR if the Canes are looking for an immediate big NHL impact in the return, but LaCombe is a young LHD with second pair upside. And they can always flip the 1st if they want.
Not from a WPG perspective… Jets need top 4 RHD and Ehlers should be dealt in a deal to address that

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
1 year of Ehlers for Necas makes
zero sense for the Canes.

Ehlers makes some sense for them if they strike out with Guentzel, but I’d be shocked if they traded their biggest trade chip for a ufa to be.
Isn’t any trade for Necas a one year rental too, unless he signs an extension? UFA in 2025?

NeoCanuck

Jay Beagle? In THIS economy?
Jan 17, 2005
North Vancouver B.C.
So curious if Canes would consider a Hronek for Necas swap?

Slightly similar age ranges, both players are RFA.
Hronek fits the Top 4RHD need of the Canes, Necas can be glued to Elias Pettersson for the next decade.

Reactions: Brock Anton

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So curious if Canes would consider a Hronek for Necas swap?

Slightly similar age ranges, both players are RFA.
Hronek fits the Top 4RHD need of the Canes, Necas can be glued to Elias Pettersson for the next decade.
Or the Canucks keep Hronek and use any cap allocation needed to sign LNecas to sign Lindholm?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad