Raleigh
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

w2L14h4.gif

celebration.gif

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
Gotta watch a lot of Canes hockey now that it seems obvious Aho will get his chances next season. Expect a lot of new Finn fans on your boards :D

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Don't know why the recent angst. Dude never stopped playing hockey, he didn't have time to negotiate!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What's the deal with Saarela's potential contract now? I know he signed a 1 year deal to play in Finland next year with Lukko, but does that mean the Canes can't sign him until next May/June? Or can they get him under contract now and leave him in Finland? Don't know how that works.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
What's the deal with Saarela's potential contract now? I know he signed a 1 year deal to play in Finland next year with Lukko, but does that mean the Canes can't sign him until next May/June? Or can they get him under contract now and leave him in Finland? Don't know how that works.

I think they can sign him and loan him if they really wanted to. I believe that's what they did with Wallmark.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016

The deal will pay Aho $832,500 in the NHL or $70,000 in the American Hockey League (AHL) for all three seasons, and he receives a signing bonus of $277,500.

WOW amazed he wasn't signed all ready, was there a reason? can you not sign a player to an ELC if they are playing in Liiga?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think it was just that Aho was just too busy playing. Francis or Peters commented after the WHC was over that now they could finally negotiate with him (or something to that effect). Based on an interview that McKeown did a while back, I think the team takes a pretty hands off approach on these prospects if they feel they are in a good situation. McKeown basically said they leave him alone during the season to focus on his game / team.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Don't know why the recent angst. Dude never stopped playing hockey, he didn't have time to negotiate!

I don't get this statement. Does he negotiate his own contracts? Does his agent have to watch all his games and travel with him? No, there was some other reason. I'm just glad they have it resolved and he is signed.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

I'm in understanding that FEL has a blanket coverage NHL clause for all the contracts, but I would like a confirmation from someone with certain knowledge.

I think Timmy Thomas ditched his FEL team to go to NHL only one day before the season started courtesy of it.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I don't get this statement. Does he negotiate his own contracts? Does his agent have to watch all his games and travel with him? No, there was some other reason. I'm just glad they have it resolved and he is signed.

Maybe he just didn't want the distraction so said they decided not going to negotiate until he's done playing. I distinctly recall Francis or Peters commenting once the WHC was over that now they could negotiate with him. I don't think there were any real reasons other than he was still playing.

EDIT: Here's the link that said the Canes weren't even entering negotiations until the WHC was over.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article79181892.html

While the Hurricanes haven’t been able to enter contract negotiations until now, Aho’s father is an executive for his Finnish team, Karpat Oulu, and the son’s departure for North America has been a foregone conclusion for a while.

Francis said the Hurricanes won’t ask Aho to attend their summer prospects conditioning camp, given how much hockey he has played for both Karpat Oulu and Finland this season at a very young age – he doesn’t turn 19 until July – but he’s expected to join the Hurricanes for rookie camp, training camp and opening night.

So that was May 22nd before the Canes even could start entering into negotiations, but his coming to the NHL was a foregone conclusion. He probably took a vacation then it took a couple of weeks to get the contract ironed out, signed, etc. On top of that, Francis and team have been very, very focused on the draft and other things. Seems like nothing out of the norm to me.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad