Post-Game Talk: Cane

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is our version of the Canes' PP struggles. We were arguably the best 5v6 team in the league in the regular season and one of the best 6v5.

5v6, I buy. I seem to remember only one goal allowed in that situation (Chicago). 6v5, I can only remember a couple. Both Islanders goals were 6v4. I only remember Lafreniere against the Jackets and Trocheck against the Leafs. I think I remember one 6v5 goal that we had on a delayed penalty but that's it.

Edit: Also Lafreniere against Winnipeg.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
5v6, I buy. I seem to remember only one goal allowed in that situation (Chicago). 6v5, I can only remember a couple. Both Islanders goals were 6v4. I only remember Lafreniere against the Jackets and Trocheck against the Leafs. I think I remember one 6v5 goal that we had on a delayed penalty but that's it.

Edit: Also Lafreniere against Winnipeg.
We scored 11 which tied Toronto for the league lead. 3rd in GF/60, 7th in GF%. 11-15 overall.

5v6 we led in GA/60, 2nd in GF%, 19-3 overall.

With a +1 5v5 goal differential we basically had to be the best at everything else to get where we were.

E: I f--d up, these are all 6vX and Xv6. I should't have been careless with the abbreviations.

• Wow
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We scored 11 which tied Toronto for the league lead. 3rd in GF/60, 7th in GF%. 11-15 overall.

5v6 we led in GA/60, 2nd in GF%, 19-3 overall.

With a +1 5v5 goal differential we basically had to be the best at everything else to get where we were.

E: I f--d up, these are all 6vX and Xv6. I should't have been careless with the abbreviations.

I don't know if that means we're really good or we're really lucky.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Anyone else will never forgive Wenneberg for missing a wide the f*** open net? What a gorgeous goal that would have been with Igor and Kakko getting assists. Might have been a backbreaker too. Even if we win in 5 and there's no guarantee we would have won this game with that goal, I still have to say f*** this guy. He had more than half the net to shoot at and barely f***ing grazes the post with all the time in the world. This guy has to be the most offensively inept center outside of Bonino.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Metranger

May 22, 2015
Said it during the last series, It's hard to sweep anyone. Like f*** even teams like the Sharks and Blackhawks won games this year and won games against good teams.

Sweeping the Canes would have been awesome and it was right there for them but just wasn't their night. Shit happens. Closing them out in 5 is almost as good. No one has gone 8-0 since they expanded the opening round from 5 to 7 games. Some may argue otherwise for what ever jacked up reason they've concocted in their head but Carolina is good, they didn't finish with the 3rd best record in the league by accident.

I'm guessing the boys come out serious and motivated and close this one out on Monday. If they lose that one you can start to panic a bit.
This loss might have been a blessing in disguise. It magnified certain player weaknesses and the coaching staff can adjust. Gives time for a better strategy.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Yeah. I was in section 333 tonight and had a wonderful view to this. Rangers absolutely win that game if they don’t go brain dead, but 2/3 of their defense was atrocious all night

Hey, I was in 320.

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
Anyone else will never forgive Wenneberg for missing a wide the f*** open net? What a gorgeous goal that would have been with Igor and Kakko getting assists. Might have been a backbreaker too. Even if we win in 5 and there's no guarantee we would have won this game with that goal, I still have to say f*** this guy. He had more than half the net to shoot at and barely f***ing grazes the post with all the time in the world. This guy has to be the most offensively inept center outside of Bonino.
Does a pretty good job of everything else.
I’m glad to have him

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
We only had one in this game.

Yes, it was ass, but we only had one.
Which was bullshit.

Trouba on ice for every goal against. He’s the Capt of the team making 8 million dollars playing on the third pair in a sheltered role. He needs to be so much better
He’s not gonna be. This is what he is. A liability.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Game 3: desperate Canes down 2-0 in the series go up 2-0 on deflection goals, but we clapped back, tied it, and won it.

Game 4: an even more desperate Canes team on the brink of elimination come out flying and go up 3-0, but we tied it again.

If we got blown out tonight, I would agree we gave them life. But this team is Jason f***ing Voorhies. Pump in three rounds but it just keeps coming. It doesn't speed up, it just continues coming at you at the same f***ing fast-walking pace through the woods until it catches you even though you're going 100 mph. The Canes might've found the main road and gotten away tonight. This team continues coming...
It was 2-0 and 3-1 last night, not 3-0.

And on Thursday it was just 1-0 and 2-1, not 2-0.

Reactions: will1066

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

We needed a cheap center with Chytil out, and Wennberg has been sufficient for that need, but I don’t want him back.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
We weren't going 16-0. If we are cup worthy we will bounce back. I often think odd number games are key mindset games. Lets take game 5.

Reactions: deathb4disco

Boom Quack

Aug 29, 2008
Brooklyn, New York
You guys provided enough negatives, so ill instead highlight 3 things i hope we carry into next game:
-kakko making a mockery of Canes while he has the puck
-Laf on a mission. I don't know what got into him but I'm all for it if it means we get that version of laf from now on
-I know I'm an anomaly but I thought Vesey played well for what he's here for. I just don't want him to be a negative

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Meh, Carolina still wasn't that impressive. We'll finish them off in 5 at MSG. Just improve on the small details and that should be good enough.

Worried about Chytil though.

Reactions: gump116

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
They could have easily won game 3 last year too. Had a lead, gave up a goal on an iffy penalty call and lost in OT. They could have easily won game 3 against Tampa (although the play in that game was lopsided) had a 2-0 lead and Trouba took a penalty I believe that gave them the first goal. I'm sorry I've seen too many of these "could have easily won" series to ever think that we're in good shape.
So then basically they have to win every playoff game then. Good luck with that. They also won 3 tight games(2 in OT) before this loss. If you don't think up 3-1 and playing the next game at home is in good shape in a series then I don't know what to tell ya.

Reactions: Wtp99 and Holocene

tbassler

Jul 22, 2009
Why can't I see GDTs?

You all are my great entertainment.

I must have offended the hfboards moderators somehow.

That loss sucked. Panarin did nothing except that one backcheck.

The kids will win for us. Lafreniere and kakko. We will see about Chytil.

Reactions: Ail

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Yes blowing a game up 2-0 is not the same as up 3-0 but the Rangers the last two years have shown to be prone to collapses. Against Tampa Bay it's one thing. Against the Devils they had a 2-0 road lead where they won by a combined score of 10-2 and then should have won game 3. Instead they got f***ing embarrassed by a team that got embarrassed by this Canes team that somehow annhilated them. Oh and missed the playoffs this year. Seriously, what has this team shown that you can trust them? Also, this part is more voodoo but the Rangers franchise is basically a losing franchise. You can complain all you want about the Canadians in the original 6 days getting all the good players. Bottom line expansion happened 7 years aftter my mom was born and this franchise has one cup to show for it. They have as many championships as the NY Jets in that time frame. And for a period of time they had unlimited money is a league with no cap and somehow managed to not only not win but have terrible teams. Until proven otherwise they're a rich man's New York Jets. A reverse sweep would be on brand. I'm not saying it's likely, all I'm saying is would anyone be surprised?
You point to the Tampa loss up 2-0 but they were clearly gassed after two seven game series before that. They also came back from deficits against both Pitt and Carolina the 2 series before to win them. What has Carolina shown exactly?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The Kraken played Wennberg significantly more minutes than we have.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I hope Chytil is ok. They said illness, that he woke up sick on gameday. And being it wasn't on the day after the game, I tend to think it isn't concussion related, and that he really came down ill. After all, he is returning to getting into people's faces. So germs are much more present.

With the progress of Kakko, who looked like a beast on Saturday and Laffy feeling his oats,.... one day, I would like to see Chytil rejoin them as our first line of the future. Maybe not this post season, but not far off, the way these guys are progressing. These guys are built for playoff hockey.

The way Kakko and Laffy played last night, gives me even more confidence we will go far in these playoffs, even though we lost this game.

Last edited:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
girl-in-the-bed-wake-up-elinthj81k3pbbg3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad