News Article: Canadiens happy with dynamic blue line

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't agree that there is "no way" the Trident can provide the same impact. Especially when guys like Edmundson and Romanov are inserted in. I think many in our fan base is underrating our team D this coming season.

Romanov has not played a game. He is a non-factor to me at this point in time. He could be great, he could be a healthy scratch.
You can disagree all you want but all you're going on is a 10 game stretch during the weirdest time ever so keep that in mind.
You're basically using the month of October to judge your team or its potential. You know as well as anybody you just don't do that.

Reactions: OldCraig71

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I don't agree that there is "no way" the Trident can provide the same impact. Especially when guys like Edmundson and Romanov are inserted in. I think many in our fan base is underrating our team D this coming season.
No doubt in my mind, our D starting the season, is much better than it has been in years.......a 48 game season might be a big help to guys like Romanov..........we can all only hope this kid is ready!! If he is, it changes the D corps big time. Edmundson is also another good add, but to be fair let's temper our expectations...and hope we are all surprised!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No doubt in my mind, our D starting the season, is much better than it has been in years.......a 48 game season might be a big help to guys like Romanov..........we can all only hope this kid is ready!! If he is, it changes the D corps big time. Edmundson is also another good add, but to be fair let's temper our expectations...and hope we are all surprised!!

We are in a good spot. Expectations are pretty calm even after the moves we made. I can see us finishing anywhere from top 5-15 range. If we miss the playoffs, it would be considered a disappointment IMO.

But I think our D is in excellent shape! We lack a PP QB yeah.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I'm just not sure what people are expecting.

The guy in charge of our defense is excited about it's potential.

in a market like montreal? i'd expect a smart organization to appreciate the need to manage expectations on young players... Privately, go nuts talking about what you think Romanov can do. Publicly? what value does it serve to heighten the pressure when we already know that if the kid does anything short of compete for ROY large chunks of the media/fan base will be sour on him?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
in a market like montreal? i'd expect a smart organization to appreciate the need to manage expectations on young players... Privately, go nuts talking about what you think Romanov can do. Publicly? what value does it serve to heighten the pressure when we already know that if the kid does anything short of compete for ROY large chunks of the media/fan base will be sour on him?
I listened to the interview, something that it doesn't actually appear like many did, and I think Luke Richardson managed the expectations very well.

The articles headline is misleading since it's not what he said.

But this is the typical fluff piece you'll find on every team this time a year.

I think we're making way too much out of this mostly out of boredom

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
I don't think it lacks depth, but it's definitely unremarkable.

Weber
Petry
Chariot
Edmunston
Romanov
Kulak
Mete

Then the whole Ouellet/Juulsen/Fleury bunch
Oh come on man. Weber + Petry as the top 2 RD takes a hell of a lot of beating in the current league. Unremarkable?

Reactions: Deebs

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Defense has improved slightly and will be tougher to play against but still lacks the mobility required for today's NHL. The depth is decent but only Weber & Petry belong in a bonafied Top 4. The rest is a bunch of serviceable defensemen.

Romanov is a wild card.

Reactions: MasterD

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Just watched 2 minutes of the clip and Richardson refer to 'the bubble' something like 6 times in that time span. So he is either oblivious to sample size or very good at picking cherries.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The D should be better although like the previous year when we got Chia, I can't say I know much about Edmondson. The problem seems to be we have 2 very solid top 3 D's and then a bunch of bottom pairing D's (outside of the rookie wild card) as I would think the rest of the bunch not counting Romanov would be on the 3rd pairing of most contenders give or take a few teams.

We clearly have a massive hole at 1 LD, Romanov shouldn't be asked to fill it, Chia doesn't seem that good of a long term fit from what i've seen but can fill in there and Mete needs a lot more offense if he were to play there.

That said I just don't see the Habs rolling with this team as is, even if you send Weal to Laval for Evans, this team is way too up against it for the cap and that's with just 21 players which no way will that last. I think one of Mete/Kulak gets traded at some point as with Chia/Edmundson joining Weber/Petry, that's 5 plus Romanov assuming he stays up all year. They need to figure something out on Juulsen so they can wait till the end of camp and see how he looks and then decide what to do, if Juulsen looks sharp maybe he stays, or if he's good enough maybe they carry 8 D, if not maybe they try to get something for him and if all else fails then just send him to Laval.

But they will need cap space at some point so they will need to think of something imo.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We are still at the point where an injury to either Petry or Weber pretty much ensures that we miss the playoffs. I don't get how people can honestly try to argue that we have any kind of depth here. And the left side remains ridiculously bad. Even if Romanov suprises, it would be insane to ask him to play at the number one slot. The D is still the weak spot in our lineup.

Reactions: MasterD

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The D should be better although like the previous year when we got Chia, I can't say I know much about Edmondson. The problem seems to be we have 2 very solid top 3 D's and then a bunch of bottom pairing D's (outside of the rookie wild card) as I would think the rest of the bunch not counting Romanov would be on the 3rd pairing of most contenders give or take a few teams.

We clearly have a massive hole at 1 LD, Romanov shouldn't be asked to fill it, Chia doesn't seem that good of a long term fit from what i've seen but can fill in there and Mete needs a lot more offense if he were to play there.

That said I just don't see the Habs rolling with this team as is, even if you send Weal to Laval for Evans, this team is way too up against it for the cap and that's with just 21 players which no way will that last. I think one of Mete/Kulak gets traded at some point as with Chia/Edmundson joining Weber/Petry, that's 5 plus Romanov assuming he stays up all year. They need to figure something out on Juulsen so they can wait till the end of camp and see how he looks and then decide what to do, if Juulsen looks sharp maybe he stays, or if he's good enough maybe they carry 8 D, if not maybe they try to get something for him and if all else fails then just send him to Laval.

But they will need cap space at some point so they will need to think of something imo.
I think this is a problem many teams would like to have.

There aren't many teams who have strength throughout their top 6Ds...we might not have a flashy D, but we're well ahead of when we started the year with guys like David Schlemko and Jordie Benn in our top 4.

Our defense isn't nearly as bad many like the portray that it is.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think this is a problem many teams would like to have.

There aren't many teams who have strength throughout their top 6Ds...we might not have a flashy D, but we're well ahead of when we started the year with guys like David Schlemko and Jordie Benn in our top 4.

Our defense isn't nearly as bad many like the portray that it is.

They added depth in Edmundson to replace Kulak so that should be an upgrade i'm thinking since Kulak is too inconsistent and is coming off a 7 pt season while in the top 4 for a chunk which can't happen for a playoff team unless you have a stronger overall team.

The problem I see is outside of what Romanov may or may not bring, they sorely lack puck moving abilities, like the depth but unless Mete, Juulsen, Kulak, Brook, or Fleury take a big step forward and or Romanov is the real deal then we still got big problems. We so badly need that Markov type to move the puck around imo. But like I said I still think they aren't done and at some point a trade is made.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
They added depth in Edmundson to replace Kulak so that should be an upgrade i'm thinking since Kulak is too inconsistent and is coming off a 7 pt season while in the top 4 for a chunk which can't happen for a playoff team unless you have a stronger overall team.

The problem I see is outside of what Romanov may or may not bring, they sorely lack puck moving abilities, like the depth but unless Mete, Juulsen, Kulak, Brook, or Fleury take a big step forward and or Romanov is the real deal then we still got big problems. We so badly need that Markov type to move the puck around imo. But like I said I still think they aren't done and at some point a trade is made.
Sure we don't have that "dynamic" puck moving, PP QB.

But it's not like the guys they have are all Douglas Murray with the puck either and really, I don't think that type of player is valued in CJs system.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Defense has improved slightly and will be tougher to play against but still lacks the mobility required for today's NHL. The depth is decent but only Weber & Petry belong in a bonafied Top 4. The rest is a bunch of serviceable defensemen.

Romanov is a wild card.
Looking back at the 2008 Habs roster, the team was loaded with Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev, Lang and a young Pleks. You also had an effective 4th line with Begin Lapierre and Laraque. The blue line only had one top 4 D, the rest were serviceable players.

This year's Habs edition reminds me of 2008. However, there are 2 top D although Weber may have regressed significantly. The 4th line lacks grit though. I am against rushing Romanov. They attempted it with Mete but the results were not conclusive.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sure we don't have that "dynamic" puck moving, PP QB.

But it's not like the guys they have are all Douglas Murray with the puck either and really, I don't think that type of player is valued in CJs system.

I think it plays a part in why the PP is so bad though I have to add I only watched a small handful of full games last year. Outside of Petry and Mete plus whatever role Romanov has it's certainly concerning if we want to be a contender.

Reactions: MasterD and 417

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
I am hereby trademarking the word "dynamic" on this board after the next season starts.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We are still at the point where an injury to either Petry or Weber pretty much ensures that we miss the playoffs. I don't get how people can honestly try to argue that we have any kind of depth here. And the left side remains ridiculously bad. Even if Romanov suprises, it would be insane to ask him to play at the number one slot. The D is still the weak spot in our lineup.

I'ce been singing that song for months, but most think it's fixed and poised to compete.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I entirely disagree. What the players on the list have in common, except for a few, is they are all better defensively than Petry RIGHT NOW, and the rare ones that don't are more purely skilled offensive players.

At least use examples or else it's just a blanket statement.

And then there are the ones I didn't include in the list but are arguably better or equal to Petry, or very soon to be.

Saying he's close to top 20 is pure homerism.

Guys that used to be better than Petry, but not anymore: Letang, OEL, Ekholm
Guys that are not better than Petry yet, but may be in future: Dunn, Provorov, Pionk
Guys that had an outlier career year better than Petry: Rielly, Klingberg, Giordano
Guys that put up good numbers but suck defensively: DeAngelo, Schmidt
Guys that are just not better than Petry: Orlov, Brodin, Edler
Retired: Niskanen

Petry may not be top 20 but he's pretty close.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Guys that used to be better than Petry, but not anymore: Letang, OEL, Ekholm
Guys that are not better than Petry yet, but may be in future: Dunn, Provorov, Pionk
Guys that had an outlier career year better than Petry: Rielly, Klingberg, Giordano
Guys that put up good numbers but suck defensively: DeAngelo, Schmidt
Guys that are just not better than Petry: Orlov, Brodin, Edler
Retired: Niskanen

Petry may not be top 20 but he's pretty close.

You love the point collumn and it shows

BTW since you like the point collumn so much, you might want to put it in context as Petry is 56th for Points Per 60 among dmen who played 40 or more games last season, so considering his defensive inconsistencies on top of that, yeah, he's far from the top 20. He's overused and out of spot. He needs a strong defensive partner, which is not what you typically find in the top 30, let alone the top 20, unless the player is superb offensively, which Petry isn't.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad