Canadians, who are the most popular NFL teams in your region?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Was a Lions fan since i started watching.
Ouch!

1678024930930.png

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
hahahah i chose the team that went 0-16 the season before. I had just started fantasy football and i liked Megatron then the Lions drafted Stafford. i went all in lol.

I also didn't want to bandwagon with the best team in the league as a lot of my friends are Packers/Pats fans. Vikings i had no interest in.
My fandom followed Kevin Dineen from the University of Denver to the Hartford Whalers.

It got heavy on the irony towards the end.

Reactions: tacogeoff

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
With BC being mostly Seahawks for football and Blue Jays for baseball, a sentiment I hear out here in Seattle every once in awhile is people wanting any BC Seahawks fan who cheers for the Blue Jays over Mariners to renounce being a Hawks fan. Most commonly expressed when the BC Jays fans invade Seattle.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seahawks due to back in the day as they were really the only team on TV.
Broncos due to the Edmonton connection with Bowlen.
Lions and Dolphins due to Tecmo Bowl
Packers for some odd reason just because they had the same colors as our CFL team

There was also a bunch of Jets fans due to immigrants first landing in New York when they came to North America
Then you had the Brady bandwagon jumpers

Now it's all over the place.

Don't ask me how I landed on Steelers, lol

Reactions: Babe Ruth

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Just want to reiterate on my comment. The Vikings are #1 in Manitoba/Winnipeg but most NFL fans in the region aren't Viking fans. A survey completed a number of years ago across various Canadian regions found the Vikings were #1, but with only with only 30% of survey respondents. Green Bay and Pittsburgh were second and third...I think.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Just want to reiterate on my comment. The Vikings are #1 in Manitoba/Winnipeg but most NFL fans in the region aren't Viking fans. A survey completed a number of years ago across various Canadian regions found the Vikings were #1, but with only with only 30% of survey respondents. Green Bay and Pittsburgh were second and third...I think.
So the Vikings are #1 by plurality rather than majority.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I'm curious, do you routinely see fanatical NFL fans in Canada?
What I mean, it's common to see cars in America covered in NFL team flags & stickers.. or go in to a house that's decked out in NFL decor. Do you see that much in Canada?
And same question regarding college football fans. You see many of the alumni there, where their entire wardrobe is Alabama or Ohio St (etc) gear?

No, you don't really get that honestly. I'm Toronto all my life here, you might see the rare one off of that, but no. Reserved for hockey, straight stereotype, 100%.

The Bills is probably the most common in the GTA but it's really a mixed bag of teams. I see many Steelers/Packers/Patriots/Packers/Eagles fans.

If you go back a generation or two, the Giants have a following. My dad is a huge Giants fan, we're talking back to that's the game on the radio you could pick up in Ontario. Bills by a good shot these days but all those ones you mention, yes, good healthy followings.

49ers fan here. Get asked regular enough how does a Toronto boy wind up a 9ers fan. Simple answer, same reason 7-8 year olds round here call themselves TB Lightning fans, or Edm McDavid fans, Crosby, etc. At the age I start loving NFL, wondering who to cheer for, ain't no Toronto or Canada team, Montana and Rice et all are crushing. You're a kid, you think "cool", I like that lol.. it stuck.

Back to the OP, the CFL is not really a big deal, least round here. I don't know how it holds on, although despite being part of the problem, as a Canadian I hope it keeps going. It's bigger out west I gather. I'd guess that if you are a CFL fan loving football that much to follow what is like high school football in the States, you probably have a NFL team too. But more common, I think, is a Canadian football fan with a passing interest in the CFL and a NFL team they seriously follow. I mean hey, go Argos, I think they are like 8-1, but I haven't seen a game yet, I'm obviously a sports fan, and it never comes up in conversation with anyone.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
No, you don't really get that honestly. I'm Toronto all my life here, you might see the rare one off of that, but no. Reserved for hockey, straight stereotype, 100%.

If you go back a generation or two, the Giants have a following. My dad is a huge Giants fan, we're talking back to that's the game on the radio you could pick up in Ontario. Bills by a good shot these days but all those ones you mention, yes, good healthy followings.

49ers fan here. Get asked regular enough how does a Toronto boy wind up a 9ers fan. Simple answer, same reason 7-8 year olds round here call themselves TB Lightning fans, or Edm McDavid fans, Crosby, etc. At the age I start loving NFL, wondering who to cheer for, ain't no Toronto or Canada team, Montana and Rice et all are crushing. You're a kid, you think "cool", I like that lol.. it stuck.

Back to the OP, the CFL is not really a big deal, least round here. I don't know how it holds on, although despite being part of the problem, as a Canadian I hope it keeps going. It's bigger out west I gather. I'd guess that if you are a CFL fan loving football that much to follow what is like high school football in the States, you probably have a NFL team too. But more common, I think, is a Canadian football fan with a passing interest in the CFL and a NFL team they seriously follow. I mean hey, go Argos, I think they are like 8-1, but I haven't seen a game yet, I'm obviously a sports fan, and it never comes up in conversation with anyone.

Like the CFL is okay but the NFL is where it reigns supreme. Vancouver has the BC Lions doing good which is fine, but the majority are waiting for the Seahawks season to start.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
In Alberta it's largely Vikings, Packers, and Seahawks. Some Broncos, Patriots, and Cowboys for good measure. But these are slim majorities, there's not a ton of rhyme or reason. One of my best friends growing up was a diehard Dolphins fan. Never been to Miami, just liked Dan Marino. My sister's BF is a huge Bengals guy and he can't tell you why.

Myself, I like the Bears. Because I'm an idiot.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad