Canadian world junior fans criticized in Buffalo

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
There's a reason HSBC Arena security guards were coming up to my friends and I looking for high-fives after the Russians took the lead in the gold medal game.

The number of drunk jackasses outnumbered the number of nice, civil people. As one arena employee joked to me, "Do they realize these are 19 year olds playing hockey?"

no different then Americans and their love for college football/basketball.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Both of these articles are Pejorative Slured. The Buffalo one more so. I never thought I would say this but since I moved south, I really miss the angry Canadian hockey arguments outside of HSBC arena. I can't talk about hockey in Virginia without wanted to smash my face in.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
There's a reason HSBC Arena security guards were coming up to my friends and I looking for high-fives after the Russians took the lead in the gold medal game.

The number of drunk jackasses outnumbered the number of nice, civil people. As one arena employee joked to me, "Do they realize these are 19 year olds playing hockey?"

Yeah i'm sure the *******s outnumbered the normal when we're talking about 10,000 people or more from a completely different country.

Does the employee enjoy being employed? Because without our love of 19yr olds playing hockey he might not have that opportunity.

I guess he wasn't aware of that fact we were helping to develop a few future Sabres over those 2 weeks.

DG

Sep 19, 2006
Toronto

Because no one gets excited, overly serious and obnoxious about other high school and college sports in the United States... :laugh:

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
As a Canadian that obviously cheers for Canada at these tournaments, even I am finding that the collective fan base has become insufferable.

Hell Canadian fans of Canadian NHL teams have become damn near unbearable.

So I have no doubt, that with many Buffalo residents, there were no tears shed when Canada lost and the Canadian fans retreated accross back accross the border.

Now that said, if this guy was so offended why not write the article during the tournament? In the land of right and wrong he would have nothing to lose by doing so, like say jeapardize all the Canadian money that was getting injected into the city.

And the whole tipping thing, the beauty of this pet peeve (I've seen it pop up a number of times in different US cities) is that it's mutually exclusive. What ever the origins of tipping a minimum percent, on top of the now common automatic gratuity, no matter the quality of service or food is as offensive to me and most people I know as the notion of tipping on merit only is to Americans.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I will agree that, as a whole, Canadians don't tip as well as Americans. The reason? Our wait staff in Canada are paid a decent wage and consumers aren't expected to make up the majority of their earnings. Wait staff in the US are paid much less than their Canadian counterparts, and tips are generally higher (and needed).

Having said that, I've seen both Canadians and Americans tip extremely poorly (or not at all), which blows me away.

However, had Canadians stayed away from this tournament, Buffalo may have been looking losing a mountain of money on the WJC. Perhaps someone needs to weigh that out before opening his mouth (or keyboard, I guess) and spouting garbage.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
"The attitude changed. We collectively decided that while there is no shame in finishing second, it should not be a pre-tournament objective. This is Canada. We own this game."
I do believe Russia would beg to differ.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
"The attitude changed. We collectively decided that while there is no shame in finishing second, it should not be a pre-tournament objective. This is Canada. We own this game."

When people call it our game yes its the history of of team canada etc but aslo the amount of teams in canada very few if any come close to matching the amount of teams and support canada has.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I don't necessarily agree with most of the criticisms but I think we take the world juniors a little to seriously and many fans are a little over the top.

While Canadian fans might be obnoxious - they brought money to the event.

As an aside, Canadians in general become obnoxious when national pride is at stake. It's one of the things I dislike about Canada. "We're so great! You suck!"

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
I don't necessarily agree with most of the criticisms but I think we take the world juniors a little to seriously and many fans are a little over the top.

While Canadian fans might be obnoxious - they brought money to the event.

As an aside, Canadians in general become obnoxious when national pride is at stake. It's one of the things I dislike about Canada. "We're so great! You suck!"

Just as some americans are over the top with high school foootball or with people in the uk with soccer.As for national pride this is not a canada issue most have this is some form be it americans with basketball or uk people with soccer the list goes on.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Meh. Whatever.

Basically. It wasn't that much different than many Leaf game nights down here... some are idiots, some aren't. That doesn't make it mean they are ALL drunken buffoons, just a few.

The main complaint, and this is not new, is a lot of Canadian hockey fans are awful tippers.

I've heard that at four local watering holes within a short walk of the rink. Maybe they thought those quarters were two-nies?

Ron Barr

Doing it to Death
Dec 23, 2009
bdddddddet
People get over excited about the under 20 world cup but thats fine its only canadians that people keep bashing.One thing people have to keep in mind if it was not for the canadian fans the events would have been a nightmare.
How?

Anyway, Cathal Kelly looks like a real doucher, and a very poor writer. How does he have a professional job in journalism? That was the most Junior High-esque "article" I've ever read.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

Really?

I'd say the people still waking up in Vancouver hung over from the Olympics would love to have that argument.

We were an overtime and a bad period away from SEVEN straight gold medals.....few teams at any sports tournament at any level in the world have that type of dominance.

We do own this game, whether you or your Russian friends like it or not. Maybe Russia can finally show up to an Olympics in 2014 and try to get themselves back in the hunt for top hockey nation.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
How?

Anyway, Cathal Kelly looks like a real doucher, and a very poor writer. How does he have a professional job in journalism? That was the most Junior High-esque "article" I've ever read.

Well since canadians bought 60% of tickets with out them there would have been thousands of empty seats.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Without a doubt, the greatest way to determine "ownership" of abstract entities is a 7-game tournament :p

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
How?

How?

Canadians bought tickets. That is how.

Americans couldnt even sell their own teams games without our hockey appettite.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ah yes, Stereotypes. B/C A few Canadians are bad tippers, I'm sure they're all bad tippers. Just like all Americans are great tipper! Same goes for drunks, Americans never get drunk.

Coin issue -- no dollar or two dollar coins down here. It probably plays a part. :laugh:

Ron Barr

Doing it to Death
Dec 23, 2009
bdddddddet
Well since canadians bought 60% of tickets with out them there would have been thousands of empty seats.
Watching a game without a bunch of screaming drunk idiots around you thinking they actually have something to do with the fact that their team is good, is somehow a nightmare?

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Watching a game without a bunch of screaming drunk idiots around you thinking they actually have something to do with the fact that their team is good, is somehow a nightmare?

So let me get this right your would perfer to have had let says 12,000 empty seats the tournemant not making as much as money as it did not even close maybe even lose money that you would have liked to see is that your point.

TreeSapLlama

Sep 24, 2007
Lethbridge, Alberta
I don't really like either article, especially since they used my picture. Regardless, this brings to light something that has never happened before.

BREAKING NEWS - Humans being generalized based on some random color/nationality.

I suppose the US can write an article about Canadians being bad tippers, since I am sure there are more then a couple articles about the parking lots gouging fans $50+ for parking. Eye for an eye?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad