Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
how? by not making the playoffs? how are these deals going to be best contracts when the team fails to reach playoffs?
Plus how many coaches will McDavid and Draisaitl have had during their careers in Edmonton? Assuming whoever the Oilers hire as their next GM will he want to keep Ken Hitchcock or will he even want to stay? If he left it will be the third coach McDavid had since his rookie season.

Reactions: OVO16

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
This issue with Matthews’ deal is not necessarily the AAV, it’s the length.

How do you give an RFA the second highest AAV in the entire league and not buy a single RFA year...

At least the oilers got McDavid on a max 8 year deal.

Reactions: PWJunior

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto

How do you give an RFA the second highest AAV in the entire league and not buy a single RFA year...

They did get a UFA year though...but I agree with you, the issue is the length. If it was even 6 or 7 years I wouldn’t mind as much

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I think most would agree, they would like it to be longer. They did get one UFA year.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
highly doubt teams that know how to pay rfa's like Calgary and Winnipeg will be influenced by a rookie g.m.

One thing working in Winnpeg's favour is having their star RFA performing at a worse pace than either of Nylander's 2nd or 3rd years during his ELC year as opposed to Toronto's RFAs who flirt with top 10 in the league for production during theirs.

Reactions: Flair Hay

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
One thing working in Winnpeg's favour is having their star RFA performing at a worse pace than either of Nylander's 2nd or 3rd years during his ELC year as opposed to Toronto's RFAs who flirt with top 10 in the league for production during theirs.
It will be interesting to see if Matt Barzal signs his contract extension this summer since he will be eligible to do that and how it would effect Laine's contract. That's assuming Laine is not signed by July 1st and becomes an RFA.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
It will be interesting to see if Matt Barzal signs his contract extension this summer since he will be eligible to do that and how it would effect Laine's contract. That's assuming Laine is not signed by July 1st and becomes an RFA.

Quite a few interesting ones coming up. Peg management couldn't have asked for a better situation with Laine. I have no doubts he will rebound just fine but it gives them leverage for sure.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
The Leafs never actually started spending money until almost the mid 90's.

If you are too young to know otherwise, I suggest you look up possibly the worst sports owner in sports prior to that. Not just a bad owner but a slimeball of a human being.
He's not a bad owner per se, he took advantage of a fan base that supported losing. He won Grey Cups he was just smart and maximized profits knowing we'd sell out anyways.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Playing with McDavid vs Playing on a team that is an offensive juggernaut.
What's the difference?
If any I would say Mathews has the slight advantage.
Players develop at different paces and comparing Mathews to Leon is no slight on him. Leon isn't a great skater but he's a terrific player.

I think Mathews has another level and perhaps a higher ceiling but he needs to stay healthy.
I see a lot of potential with Mathews and think talent wise he easily passes Draisatl and even Marner.
Mathews skill level is undeniable. He should be the best player on the Leafs and top 10 talent in the NHL.
How does he have the advantage when McDavid plays with a better linemates?

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Lol true. I'm sure people also think Leo Komarov getting 3million a year is a good contract as well.
The three million bothers me but not as much as the length. Similar to the Hickey contract which was completely unnecessary

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yet everyone forgets how Kyle Dubas signed John Tavares for $2 million less than what San Jose was offering him.
Wasn't that just an urban myth? The leafs did have the pyjama discount at their advantage. He was never going to sign in SJ. There are some tough decisions upcoming for Dubas. 40M tied up in 4 forwards makes it tough on the rest of the team.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Why should Barzal signing have anything to do with Laine?

All i've been told is marners only comparables are wingers.

Does that not work for laine aswell?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
30 Million tied up in 3 players and they still have to sign their leading scorer, definitely not ideal. At least they've got Reilly locked up for a few more years at a nice cap hit.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Quite a few interesting ones coming up. Peg management couldn't have asked for a better situation with Laine. I have no doubts he will rebound just fine but it gives them leverage for sure.

Laine likely refuses any long term deal though unless management is willing to pay up - seems destined for a 1-2 year bridge. Which has its pros and cons

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Wasn't that just an urban myth? The leafs did have the pyjama discount at their advantage. He was never going to sign in SJ. There are some tough decisions upcoming for Dubas. 40M tied up in 4 forwards makes it tough on the rest of the team.
Yeah that's why Tavares didn't make his decision to sign with Toronto until 9:00 PM EST on June 30, 2018. It's a myth that Islanders fans and Leafs haters started because they could not accept that a top player like Tavares wanted to play for the Maple Leafs.

How the Toronto Maple Leafs signed John Tavares - Sportsnet.ca

At approximately 9:00 p.m. Eastern time on Sat., June 30, Tavares called Dubas. “I told him I wanted to come,” Tavares says. “‘Let’s get it done.’”

Reactions: OVO16

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
He's not a bad owner per se, he took advantage of a fan base that supported losing. He won Grey Cups he was just smart and maximized profits knowing we'd sell out anyways.

Not a bad owner? He's a convicted criminal, had a child sex ring running in his building. lost us Bernie Parent, Rick Ley, Jim Harrison, Brad Selwood, Guy Trottier,, Marcel Pronovost. Paul Henderson and Mike Pelyk. He traded Lanny MacDonald out of spite towards Sittler, who would remove the C from his sweater. Also forced possibly the greatest Leaf ever (Keon) off the team. We ended up with Salming out of spite towards Ballard (while he was in jail they signed him to put it to Ballard knowing his feelings towards Europeans. He demanded his coach wear a paper bag over his head.

All told, the Leafs only had six winning seasons in Ballard's 18-plus seasons as majority owner and never finished higher than third in their division in any format. In Ballard's last 13 seasons, they only finished above fourth once and won only two playoff series.

He dumped Foster Hewitt's gondola in an incinerator.

He sold all their Cup Banners.

He had their pennants used as paint rags.

The guy was slimeball personified.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Not a bad owner? He's a convicted criminal, had a child sex ring running in his building. lost us Bernie Parent, Rick Ley, Jim Harrison, Brad Selwood, Guy Trottier,, Marcel Pronovost. Paul Henderson and Mike Pelyk. He traded Lanny MacDonald out of spite towards Sittler, who would remove the C from his sweater. Also forced possibly the greatest Leaf ever (Keon) off the team. We ended up with Salming out of spite towards Ballard (while he was in jail they signed him to put it to Ballard knowing his feelings towards Europeans. He demanded his coach wear a paper bag over his head.

All told, the Leafs only had six winning seasons in Ballard's 18-plus seasons as majority owner and never finished higher than third in their division in any format. In Ballard's last 13 seasons, they only finished above fourth once and won only two playoff series.

He dumped Foster Hewitt's gondola in an incinerator.

He sold all their Cup Banners.

He had their pennants used as paint rags.

The guy was slimeball personified.
He was the worst owner in the history of sports.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I would be curious to know the value of the same contract had it been signed in TB, since they have no state tax. Probably $9M aav. League needs to adjust salary cap for each team based on tax rates, otherwise you will have high tax markets like toronto have to overpay on contracts raising the bar on player rates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad