Rumor: Canadian Bandwagon [New Fan check in and question thread]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Lol, that's a fair point, but I consider myself a different beast. I'm a Senators fan first, but I live in the Yukon and my beer league team I've played with for 15+ years is almost all Oilers fans, Family is mostly Oilers fans too, so I've adopted them over the years as the team I watch the most. Saw at least 50% of their regular season the last few years. I fight the good fight for the Oilers on the Senators board and irl.

Hello Fellow Yukoner!!!

You in Whitehorse?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Hello Fellow Yukoner!!!

You in Whitehorse?
Hellooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

You betcha. Born and raised. Looks like you're up in Dawson CIty. My team used to go up there every year for the mens hockey tourney and tried for a revival last year, but no dice unfortunately.

The downtown must be rocking for the games! My mom made the pottery "Toe" on display.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Hellooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

You betcha. Born and raised. Looks like you're up in Dawson CIty. My team used to go up there every year for the mens hockey tourney and tried for a revival last year, but no dice unfortunately.

Nice!

Born n raised albertan, but been in Dawson, or Yukon at large for almost my entire adulthood. So I've been a lifelong Oilers fan.

If you're team came up before the NHL started, good chance we've run into one another lol.

It's a shame your team missed our this past winter's tournament, it was such a great weekend.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Nice!

Born n raised albertan, but been in Dawson, or Yukon at large for almost my entire adulthood. So I've been a lifelong Oilers fan.

If you're team came up before the NHL started, good chance we've run into one another lol.

It's a shame your team missed our this past winter's tournament, it was such a great weekend.
Cool. The Yukon has a lot to offer that seems to draw people in. That or work opportunities.

Small world story eh. We get a lot of those up here. I had a pm years ago from someone in Montreal on the Senators board just randomly asking if I knew X in the Yukon (asking as if like 10 people live here and I know everyone lol), but it just happened to be a real good friend of mine and someone I played hockey with for years. Blew my mind.

Ya, I was really hoping and was one of the big drivers behind it. It's always a good time ime. I almost hopped on another team late this time and might have to do that for a swan song.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
On the subject of bandwagoning, I was born in 84, so I missed the Oilers dynasty.

Any good, still available documentaries out there about that team?

I got a couple suggestions from Sens fans, but I'm thinking they're gonna be hard to find via torrent or Youtube.
Awesome to have new fans join in. Hopefully the Oil can bring the Cup back to Canada. Like others here, I hope the Sens can put it together especially with Staios in charge. I think he's a really strong new manager that I had hoped would take over the Oilers.

There's some really great content about the 80's Oilers Dynasty.

The Boys on the Bus is a legendary documentary. Here's a snippet focusing on a peak career Gretzky (including Gretz at a team dinner after many cocktails):

Messier, Anderson, :

There's a follow up documentary The Boys Are Back, which follows the Oilers after the Gretzky trade. Full doc is here:

The Game of Our Lives written by Peter Gzowski is a fantastic read of a very young Oilers team as they were beginning to grow into their epic, elite team. Gzowski's access to the team and all of these future Hall of Famers at the early part of their careers is access that would never happen today. A definitive hockey book: The Game of Our Lives

Many of us here grew up with the Dynasty Oilers. Pretty amazing to watch them grow under Sather into one of (THE) best teams of all time. Now decades later we get to watch McDavid perform as the greatest player of his generation with an elite brother in Draisaitl and others.

It's always good to welcome new peeps.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Awesome to have new fans join in. Hopefully the Oil can bring the Cup back to Canada. Like others here, I hope the Sens can put it together especially with Staios in charge. I think he's a really strong new manager that I had hoped would take over the Oilers.

There's some really great content about the 80's Oilers Dynasty.

The Boys on the Bus is a legendary documentary. Here's a snippet focusing on a peak career Gretzky (including Gretz at a team dinner after many cocktails):

Messier, Anderson, :

There's a follow up documentary The Boys Are Back, which follows the Oilers after the Gretzky trade. Full doc is here:

The Game of Our Lives written by Peter Gzowski is a fantastic read of a very young Oilers team as they were beginning to grow into their epic, elite team. Gzowski's access to the team and all of these future Hall of Famers at the early part of their careers is access that would never happen today. A definitive hockey book: The Game of Our Lives

Many of us here grew up with the Dynasty Oilers. Pretty amazing to watch them grow under Sather into one of (THE) best teams of all time. Now decades later we get to watch McDavid perform as the greatest player of his generation with an elite brother in Draisaitl and others.

It's always good to welcome new peeps.

Awesome! Thanks so much for this. I can't wait to dive in these. I love looking back on these moments of greatness lost to time.

Good luck in the finals, I'll be cheering hard!

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Awesome! Thanks so much for this. I can't wait to dive in these. I love looking back on these moments of greatness lost to time.

Good luck in the finals, I'll be cheering hard!
All good. Enjoy the 80s worm hole ride. We were privileged to watch that team and for them to grow into the Dynasty. A Golden Age of hockey with skill and toughness. The Oil had it all.

Appreciate your interest and joining in the ride for this year's team. A few more :)

This one's a little dry but some good elements. Crazy to remember owning this on VHS Tape:

One on the 1990 Cup Run (thank you Jimmy Carson!):

The Gretzky Trade that many of us couldn't believe could happen:

Oh and ABC - Anybody But Calgary. Beating the Flamers never gets old whatever decade!

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Everyone knew we would beat LA. It happened

Everyone said Vancouver was better, they won all the games in the regular season, they had better depth and better goaltending, they were wrong.

Everyone said Dallas would cake walk past us, superior in every facet. Nobody gave us a chance. They were wrong

Now everyone is picking Florida and not giving us a chance. Guess what, they are going to be wrong. This team is determined to get it done.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
On the subject of bandwagoning, I was born in 84, so I missed the Oilers dynasty.

I got a couple suggestions from Sens fans, but I'm thinking they're gonna be hard to find via torrent or Youtube.
Boys on the Bus is an old school documentary that you can often find wandering around the online space.

EDIT: I see someone mentioned it!

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Time to repatriate the cup.
:)

oilers-oilers-cheer.gif

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
I've been telling my friends since December that this team is gonna win it all this year. I believed then and I believe even more now. Almost my whole beer league team is Oilers fans. We're cheering hard from the Yukon.

IMO, during their turnaround, you could see that the maturation process of this team, both the players' experience, and the roster/staff around them, was coming to fruition. VGS and Avalanche went through similar. Lots of other teams too. You have to lose to learn how to win. A guy like Holloway was a much needed factor that wasn't there yet though, and an argument could be made Florida is at a similar stage.

Knoblauch is a high intelligence individual imo and showed it early on in both his lineup and in game decisions, but his interviews just show such a calm, smart leader. And as he said the other night, he consults with anywhere from 5-12 people on each decision, so he's smart enough to not feel like he's the smartest guy in the room all the time. Absolutely loved his interview last night talking about his journey and his wife.

Flowers to Skinner for that performance and stepping up in general. And for all the talk about Dallas' depth, Edm's is massively underrated, as is their ability to defend.
Knoblauch is one of my favorite storylines this year. Seems like the perfect guy for this group and for this particular moment going home down 0-2. Calm in the face of the storm but also not afraid to shake things up and make an “unpopular” move.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

If you can get your hands on an old DVD collection called "Ultimate Gretzky", that might be interesting to you. 10 bucks on Amazon. Probably can find a torrent of it.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad