Canada Soccer Part VII: Qatar Booked Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
We need the CPL to start moving young players on to other leagues. It's been a great league to watch and definitely heps with development, but outside of a few cases there has not been consistent players moving from CPL to Europe or even MLS.
Yep - I follow the league , not as much as you but there could still be more youth incorporated than there currently is.

Reactions: robertmac43

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
We need the CPL to start moving young players on to other leagues. It's been a great league to watch and definitely heps with development, but outside of a few cases there has not been consistent players moving from CPL to Europe or even MLS.
Best case scenario is that the CPL becomes a feeder league for Belgium, the Netherlands, Portugal, etc. imo. Those countries have very open rules for foreign players and a good track record for youth development.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Canada needs to get a lot more of its youth into quality European academies, as we can't keep relying on MLS "talent".

It starts from the top. The canadian soccer association is an embarrassment, and is an amateur operation.

I just feel happy for the players . This is a nice morale boost while playing under a clown organization.

I also heard that the the manager's salary is being paid by thr Canadian MLS teams because the csa cannot afford to? I mean, what a joke.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It starts from the top. The canadian soccer association is an embarrassment, and is an amateur operation.

I just feel happy for the players . This is a nice morale boost while playing under a clown organization.

I also heard that the the manager's salary is being paid by thr Canadian MLS teams because the csa cannot afford to? I mean, what a joke.
It's because the national team money is all being siphoned off and put into the CPL. They were especially pillaging the women's program and cutting their funding to the bone. They couldn't even afford to train or play friendlies...

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's because the national team money is all being siphoned off and put into the CPL. They were especially pillaging the women's program and cutting their funding to the bone. They couldn't even afford to train or play friendlies...
yes im aware of that. They sold it to CSB for scraps. It's an example of the amateur hour. It was an awful deal and any semi competent person would have recognized that.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yep - I follow the league , not as much as you but there could still be more youth incorporated than there currently is.
They have the 2000 minute rule, it's cool in theory. However, every team seems to use a few players to get those minutes completed.

Need to find a way to incorporate more players for sure.

Best case scenario is that the CPL becomes a feeder league for Belgium, the Netherlands, Portugal, etc. imo. Those countries have very open rules for foreign players and a good track record for youth development.
Definitely in the cards. The first big signing was Borges moving from Forge to OH Leuven. It didn't work out for him and since then there hasn't been much noise from those leagues.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They have the 2000 minute rule, it's cool in theory. However, every team seems to use a few players to get those minutes completed.

Need to find a way to incorporate more players for sure.
The simplest way is to institute a youth academy system like they have in Europe and you just put very restrictive home grown player rules in place. Allowing 7 foreign players and just requiring any 6 Canadians to start isn't strict enough, they should be requiring like 12 home grown players for the 23 man roster.

gattaca

Jan 5, 2011
Mississauga
Lazy take. CSB deal only involves sponsorship ex betting/hard liquor and media rights.

Pre-CSB, value of media rights to Canada Soccer's bottom line was -$1 million/yr as TSN didn't pay for rights and Canada Soccer was on the hook for production costs. So, the CSB deal eliminated the $1m yearly spend.

Canada Soccer has about 14 other levers to pull which they historically have been ineffective in even pulling them, let alone optimizing it. But they will be raising player registration fees in 2025 which should net them over $9m/yr. New CEO has also emphasized private funding which led to the 3 MLS Canadian teams funding part of Marsch's salary.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Canada - Venezuela is gonna be so crazy. I just finished watching the Venezuela - Jamaica games and their fans are so energetic.

I was the thinking the same thing with Crepeau. Issue is - he turned 30 this year and has only ever played in the MLS (outside of a brief loan spell with the Fury).

Just don't see him making too big of a step forward at this point. Maybe a middling European league give him a look. Goalies do peak a little later in life. Even then, I don't think its likely.

Absolutely, but I believe when Keylor Navas went to Real he wasn't young and no one knew who he was. Possibly 29/30 ? But certainly not 25 or younger.

With how he's been playing, it would be such a downer for us and himself if he goes back to Portland.

If I am his agent, I do my best to find a team. Call me crazy but he could be Bayern's 2nd gk. With Davies' success they might be more lenient to get another Canadian and with Neuer pushing 40, he'd play every once in a while. He just needs to leave Portland and MLS asap.

That said, my idea would make more sense if we manage to make a historic and memorable copa.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Canada - Venezuela is gonna be so crazy. I just finished watching the Venezuela - Jamaica games and their fans are so energetic.

Absolutely, but I believe when Keylor Navas went to Real he wasn't young and no one knew who he was. Possibly 29/30 ? But certainly not 25 or younger.

With how he's been playing, it would be such a downer for us and himself if he goes back to Portland.

If I am his agent, I do my best to find a team. Call me crazy but he could be Bayern's 2nd gk. With Davies' success they might be more lenient to get another Canadian and with Neuer pushing 40, he'd play every once in a while. He just needs to leave Portland and MLS asap.

That said, my idea would make more sense if we manage to make a historic and memorable copa.
He was still in his late 20s when he went to Real. He was also coming from Levante so he had that La Liga/big 5 league experience. I think that familiarity with the league and his slightly younger age was helpful in getting that move.

I think Bayern or any club of that stature will be out of reach for him at this point. But hey, I'm here for the enthusiasm and hope he can make a move to bigger pastures.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00