Canada Soccer Part VII: Copa America Semifinal Edition

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Not like it matters. With Bob at the helm this TFC team looks lost....

Scheduling basically game you a free win @Scandale du Jour
Bah, the problem with TFC is not just the coach, it is mostly that the club has no soul (very passionate supporters notwithstanding, of course). It is a bunch of mercenaries that only come because of the money MLSE is willing to give them. Sometimes it works (Giovinco, Bradley and Altidore) most of the time it does not (all the others, especially the "bloody big deal" guy :laugh;).

It is a shame, because they have a good academy. However, they always build around the mercs.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Bah, the problem with TFC is not just the coach, it is mostly that the club has no soul (very passionate supporters notwithstanding, of course). It is a bunch of mercenaries that only come because of the money MLSE is willing to give them. Sometimes it works (Giovinco, Bradley and Altidore) most of the time it does not (all the others, especially the "bloody big deal" guy :laugh;).

It is a shame, because they have a good academy. However, they always build around the mercs.
I can't believe it's the end of May and i haven't been to a game yet. And i'm not losing sleep over it. I wonder how many other Toronto footie fans are as apathetic to the team as i am? And i am only a short train ride to the stadium.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I can't believe it's the end of May and i haven't been to a game yet. And i'm not losing sleep over it. I wonder how many other Toronto footie fans are as apathetic to the team as i am? And i am only a short train ride to the stadium.
Why bother going? Stadium is hard to get too, everything is expensive, and the team sucks. They haven't scored in 6 straight league games, yet they continue to charge like every game is the 2017 finals.

Reactions: sabremike

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Why bother going? Stadium is hard to get too, everything is expensive, and the team sucks. They haven't scored in 6 straight league games, yet they continue to charge like every game is the 2017 finals.
You saying this depresses me even more. You're usually the optimist lol

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
You saying this depresses me even more. You're usually the optimist lol
Usually I'm an unwavering optimist, and that goes for all the teams I cheer for. TFC is different, they have put themselves in a terrible spot and its so clear what needs to happen to change that.

Fire Bob. Fire Manning. Get it done.

Reactions: Pink Mist

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I don't know how well he is known in Canadian football circles, but Niko Sigur, who only broke into the Hajduk first team a few months ago, apparently is on the preliminary squad for both the Croatia U21s for the upcoming Euros and the Canadian senior team for the Gold Cup. Not sure if this is a flash in the pan type thing or a legit prospect, he was cut by the Whitecaps academy, deemed not good enough to play in the CPL, was playing at some semi-pro level in Ontario before moving to Slovenia where he was spotted by Hajduk. He was part of the squad which made the UEFA Youth League final

I can say from the Croatian perspective, he is nowhere near the senior national team but the U21s have no natural right-back so he would probably be a starter at the Euros

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
I don't know how well he is known in Canadian football circles, but Niko Sigur, who only broke into the Hajduk first team a few months ago, apparently is on the preliminary squad for both the Croatia U21s for the upcoming Euros and the Canadian senior team for the Gold Cup. Not sure if this is a flash in the pan type thing or a legit prospect, he was cut by the Whitecaps academy, deemed not good enough to play in the CPL, was playing at some semi-pro level in Ontario before moving to Slovenia where he was spotted by Hajduk. He was part of the squad which made the UEFA Youth League final

I can say from the Croatian perspective, he is nowhere near the senior national team but the U21s have no natural right-back so he would probably be a starter at the Euros

f*** it Canada should just cap tie him. Let's not have another Stefan Mitrović situation

What a crazy journey that Niko Sigur made though. To go from high school and university soccer (and the C team of an Ontario League 1 team) to starting for Hajduk in a two year span.

That's the hockey equivalent of getting scouted playing at the local outdoor rink and getting signed to an AHL team (still waiting for that to happen to me)

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Does tsn show MLS matches anymore?

I was already apathetic to the whitecaps considering their lack of ambition, but I had literally forgot they exist this year since they would pop up on my tv every once in a while in years past.... But nothing this year.

It's such a shame how the whitecaps are run.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Interesting development to watch. Davies has been linked with a couple of different moves recently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad