WJC: Canada and their goal celebrations

NativeHockey77*

Lots of Canadian fans thought Jack Johnson was over the top in 2007, Canada is more over the top now....

These arent kids, they are men. 18,19, and 20 year old men...

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Lots of Canadian fans thought Jack Johnson was over the top in 2007, Canada is more over the top now....

Stop already. You're making wayyyyy more out of it then needs to be said. In a gold medal game you expect them to just tap gloves when the crowd is going crazy! You're an idiot.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

Actually its the u-20's. So there is no 20 year olds. And no these are not men. men have facial hair. Men have families and children of their own.
But it does look like they have read this thread cause they didn't exactly celly too hard after the 2 goals so far.

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
Maybe it's already been mentioned but in the WJC, goal differential counts so each goal has much more significance than it would if it were a NHL game. Canada is playing in the so-called "group of death" so a goal could be a difference in seeding. Besides, Canada just went up 7-1 against the Czechs and there was hardly any exuberant celebration. Happy now?

The Big Swede*

I usually dont like big celebrations but for this tournament I dont give a ****.

They are 18,19 year old kids playing on the biggest stage theve every played.Gimme a break

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
Ok im from canada first and foremost. But i just cant help but every year i see this and it URKS me to the core. Canada scored their final goal last night and they already had the game in the bag and they're cheering around like they just won the stanley cup.

whats with the young kids these days not showing respect and just tapping gloves after a goal? act like you scored a goal before.

:shakehead

its the same thing as when kovalchuk was cheering before he put the puck in the empty net....everyone here was mad about it then but its ok when canadians are going crazy after a goal?

Tiger thinks you're a *****.

CrosbyCrosby*

they did it in retaliation for the czechs getting dirty at the end of the game.

NativeHockey77*

Actually its the u-20's. So there is no 20 year olds. And no these are not men. men have facial hair. Men have families and children of their own.
But it does look like they have read this thread cause they didn't exactly celly too hard after the 2 goals so far.

At the end of the day this tournament is basically played by 20-year-olds and it’s very difficult for a 17 or 18-year-old to make this team,†says Hockey Canada’s head scout Kevin Predergast.

http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey/news?slug=ss-rnhcouturier121310

NeverGoingToWin

Jul 24, 2004
Congrats on finding that quote. I am pretty sure Ellis and Olsen are the only players that will be 20 during the tournament for Canada.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC

There is no 20-year old men in this tourney, unless one has a birthday during the tournament. Also, 18 and 19-year olds are still teenagers; eighTEEN, nineTEEN.

Last edited:

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
If fans and players of other countries don't like Canada's goal celebrations, I think there's an obvious solution:

stop allowing Canada to score so many goals.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i dont think Barrie ot Cowen did much of a celebration for the last two goals

dr carling

Dec 9, 2010
Montreal
the inherent significance of the world juniors to canada is obvious...we flock to foreign nations to massively outnumber host nation's fans, follow coverage of the tourney religiously throughout the holidays, and generally (at least i do) look forward to the tourney all year long. this is no different for these guys. they have been watching crosby, getzlaf, mike richards...eberle....rip this tournament up for years, only wishing that one day they can play in it. and you are ********* angry that they are cellying after scoring a goal? on the biggest stage of their career thus far? (i do not care if it is a 7-2 blowout, if you were watching attentively you'd notice the last 3 goals were celebrated without any exuberance at all). i registered on this board simply to call out people like you. you obviously never played hockey at a high level, and your reference to bobby orr harkens back to a time that no longer exists. get with the times. scoring a goal in the wjc for a canadian kid, especially in the 1st or 2nd game he ever plays (and will ever play) in the tourney, is massive. ********** give me a break complaining about their exuberance.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
If fans and players of other countries don't like Canada's goal celebrations, I think there's an obvious solution:

stop allowing Canada to score so many goals.

Yeah, exactly. And realize that every goal is made exciting because it's usually someone's first of the tourney. Canada has had, what, 11 different scorers for their 13 goals so far?!

In Exisle

Nov 24, 2006
Boston, MA
Not a big deal.. it's a game. The celebrations are reflective of passion and having FUN. This isn't a professional tournament. This is all about passion for your country and the game. Let the kids have fun as long as they aren't delibrately mocking the opposition and tone it down during blow outs.

This thread seems to resurface every year. Ultimately it isn't a big deal. I'd rather the players show this side. There's a certain raw charm to it that we don't get to appreciate in the NHL game which at times is too stoic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad