Can we call the Penguins era a disappointment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Church of Toews*

Chicago and LA have four cups? You fail miserably at either math or logic, maybe both.

does 2 + 2 not = 4 anymore on these boards? those two teams won 4 cups in the last 5 years in this supposed Penguins era did they not?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nothingman*

I think that there should have been a couple more finals with the groups they have had and playing in an easier East. And the two HF proclaimed best players in the world. Something seems to be missing though and they better find it before the window closes.

Oct 18, 2011
it is because if the question was posed 6 years ago "will pittsburgh win another cup by 2015" i would wager the majority of posters would have voted yes

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'd say the Pens era hasn't been as great as the media hype would of led people to believe after they made a SC finals appearance and then won the following year, but just getting to the SC Finals twice and winning once is pretty good, the salary cap and the CBA changes to negotiating rights and players reaching UFA status earlier have made it near impossible to have a dynasty in the modern era.

If they want to win another I think a little bit of a shake-up needs to happen, Fleury wasn't at all bad this past year, but to me he's not a goalie you can depend on to be great when you need him to be. Then get 2-3 players who make big contributions on their ELC's or their 2nd contracts to keep costs down, with Malkin and Crosby sucking up a huge amount of cap space you need to find value whereever you can, then a good GM to fill in the blanks with the appropriate players and find a goalie who can provide really solid results without the big price tag.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
does 2 + 2 not = 4 anymore on these boards? those two teams won 4 cups in the last 5 years in this supposed Penguins era did they not?

You clearly missed my point. The Hawks have two cups, the Kings have two cups and they are unrelated--hence the logic part. Because some poster uses the word "era" doesn't meant it's worthy a debate. The Habs were an era. Bossy/Potvin/Trots Islanders? Era. Oilers? Era.

No one since can claim to be the subject of an era, even though someone on HF uses the word. You mention the Pens "so-called dynasty," who would ever claim a dynasty after one cup? Now here's something you can take with you: dynasties and eras are earned, not speculative; there is thus no point in debating something that doesn't exist. Thus, notwithstanding the bizarre assertions, logical inconsistencies and factual errors of your little argument, your post remains a fail.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You clearly missed my point. The Hawks have two cups, the Kings have two cups and they are unrelated--hence the logic part. Because some poster uses the word "era" doesn't meant it's worthy a debate. The Habs were an era. Bossy/Potvin/Trots Islanders? Era. Oilers? Era.

No one since can claim to be the subject of an era, even though someone on HF uses the word. You mention the Pens "so-called dynasty," who would ever claim a dynasty after one cup? Now here's something you can take with you: dynasties and eras are earned, not speculative; there is thus no point in debating something that doesn't exist. Thus, notwithstanding the bizarre assertions, logical inconsistencies and factual errors of your little argument, your post remains a fail.

Agreed, but if the Hawks win this year, then they will be considered a dynasty. 3 Cups in 5 years is amazing.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
clearly I'm not a penguins fan lol, but i do believe the salary cap is flawed and this is a prime example. Chicago will have this problem soon too. Just because you draft well doesn't mean it should hurt your team in the future. Id purpose that 75% of a star's players cap hit "if drafted by said team" should count against his teams cap. just an idea

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
There will be more disappointment after they miss the playoffs next year.

I celebrated when they said they were keeping Johnston. The guy is terrible.

Nothingman*

clearly I'm not a penguins fan lol, but i do believe the salary cap is flawed and this is a prime example. Chicago will have this problem soon too. Just because you draft well doesn't mean it should hurt your team in the future. Id purpose that 75% of a star's players cap hit "if drafted by said team" should count against his teams cap. just an idea

It is unfortunate teams get penalized for drafting and developing well.

Nothingman*

it is because if the question was posed 6 years ago "will pittsburgh win another cup by 2015" i would wager the majority of posters would have voted yes

I thought Bielsma was the problem LOL! At least wheat I read the previous year.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

I love this idea

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
It's too early to say, since they are still playing at a high level when healthy.

However, I expected more out of them up to this point.

Wilma

Sep 4, 2006
I wouldn't call them a "bust" because I think they were severely overrated from the get go. They are a top-heavy team with 2 superstar forwards who, once again, came up very small when it counted. I still don't understand why the "2 best players in the world" combined for 4 points in 5 games and yet people will still call them the two best.

Because they're both more than a PPG in the playoffs for their careers

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
You mean it's unfortunate that teams get penalized for TANKING well. They didn't get Crosby or Malkin because of how well they draft.

Henrik Lundqvist - 205th overall

Pavel Datsyuk - 171st overall

Henrik Zetterberg - 210th overall

Shea Weber - 49th overall

Not all 1-10 picks, these teams found these gems and now have to pay the price of their cap hit, maybe limit it to two per team that get the 75% cap

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Henrik Lundqvist - 205th overall

Pavel Datsyuk - 171st overall

Henrik Zetterberg - 210th overall

Shea Weber - 49th overall

Not all 1-10 picks, these teams found these gems and now have to pay the price of their cap hit, maybe limit it to two per team that get the 75% cap

Or they could do something similar to the NFL and allow teams to put a Franchise Tag on a player and pay the average of the top 5 salaries at that players position (forward, defense, or goalie).

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
The Oilers also had Kurri, Anderson, Coffey and Fuhr as a supporting cast. The 90s Pens had Jagr, Stevens, Mullen, Recchi, and interestingly enough Paul Coffey also.

This team has Neal, Kunitz, and Letang? Not even close. Its not fair to say this team is a disappointment.

They could have done much better with a more adept brass, and I dont think its accurate at all to claim they have underachieved.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
Or they could do something similar to the NFL and allow teams to put a Franchise Tag on a player and pay the average of the top 5 salaries at that players position (forward, defense, or goalie).

agreed, id also like players to be able to restructure their contracts, its not fair to the player to be stuck in the situation and not fair to the teams

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn't call it a disappointment by any means.

Everybody keeps saying they have so much money tied up into two or three players, but when it's Malkin and Crosby, what are you going to do, not pay them?

I think they are going through some growing pains right now, but they have a middle of the pack prospect pool which looks to be heavy on some good D men, and they had a bad first round with injuries against a NYR team with 4 #1 defensemen, and a top 3 goalie, with pretty much the best backup in the league at this point.

edit: LGF and LGRW, screw the Pens.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
to be honest it doesn't look like Geno is having any fun out there. Idk if crosby keeps a tight professional locker room but he doesn't look like he's enjoying himself on the ice

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
Well Ehrhoff Maata and Letang were out.

Letang and Malkin and Crosby have all had injury issues.

They made the SCF twice and won one. I really can't say that they have been a disappointment other than management has not been able to retool a roster lacking depth.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Can't really be a disappointment because they won a Cup.

Otherwise, there is too much parity under a hard cap to expect a dynasty, especially after your stars' last entry-level/RFA contract. If you have a couple of great expensive players, it almost ensures holes in other areas.

gambitlebo

Apr 28, 2006
agreed, id also like players to be able to restructure their contracts, its not fair to the player to be stuck in the situation and not fair to the teams

No you don't. It's the biggest problem with the NFL's contracts and would lead the NHL back down the road that got them in trouble in the first place. It works for the NFL because they don't have guaranteed contracts.

Teams would simply go back to overpaying players in an attempt to buy a championship if they knew they could simply restructure a players contract 2 or 3 years later to get out of cap trouble and sign the next "big FA".

The players would also try to restructure after 1 or 2 good years.

What do you do if one side wants to restructure but the other doesn't?

Let's say a 40 goal scorer signs a 5 year/$8m a year contract. 2 years in, he fails to score more than 25 goals for whatever reason (injuries, not a good fit for team/system, etc). The team wants to lower his salary to say $3m but the player doesn't.

Conversely, let's say a 15-20 goal scorer signs a 5 year/$3m a year contract. The first 2 years on his contract, he scores over 30 goals for whatever reason (better fit for the system, better linemates, etc). The player wants to restructure because he is outperforming his contract but the team doesn't.

Can the team/player force a release? How would that work with the cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad