Can this team make a Montreal/Colorado-esque turnover next year?

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
Getting a top 3 pick, and having what could be 30+ million dollars of cap space(depending who's moved and bought out but I'm sure Leino is 100% bought out) and pending trades.

Do you guys think it could be done?

With a free agent pool with names like Gaborik, Stasny, Michalek, Cammalleri, Legwand, Vrabata etc.. and a new front office with more ambition.

What do you guys think? We have possible trades to acquire talent and a vet free agent pool to help this young talent that we already have as well.

Or am I just fishing for hope.

It would take a lot of luck and some very bold moves but it could be done. Moves like Moulson and McNabb to LA for toffoli. Ehrhoff and Grigo or Armia to Colorado for ROR, Miller to where ever for a top prospect, etc.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It would take a lot of luck and some very bold moves but it could be done. Moves like Moulson and McNabb to LA for toffoli. Ehrhoff and Grigo or Armia to Colorado for ROR, Miller to where ever for a top prospect, etc.

I don't think those moves are necessarily bold. I think we pretty clearly win those moves, and I don't suspect either of those players are available.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
i dont see the team even trying.

I think alot of it depends on who the coach is.

If they go with youth playing, and they let them play they may struggle eearly, and have bad games individually or as a team, but by mid season they could be competitive Thus they could end up in that 8-12 range.

If they go with this team of signing cap dump vets just to max the floor then the team will finish in the bottom 3.

I am surprised by that standings at this point.

In the past there usually has been some spread in teams at this point. Instead you have a separation of about 6-18 place is about 6 points when you take into account games in hand.

If they target moving Moulson, miller, or Ott to one of these teams and roll the dice and say the pick isnt protected then Buffalo could have 2 top 10 pics where a team at the dealine may be in 18th but then falls to 8th in standings.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Fine with the first move......

I am not moving Grigs/Armia for ROR. I look at ROr as a 3rd line player. I am not giving up now top 6 potential players for him. I havent even address the recapture risk.

Senacus Maximus

Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
And then consider this:

No Miller.
Probably no Moulson.
Possibly no Ott.

NONE of the big-time FAs are going to sign here.

It is entirely plausible that the team that takes the ice to open the 14/15 season is actually less talented than what is on the ice now. There may be some prospects that up the "potential talent" quotient......but I could really see this team setting a new NHL low for goals scored next year.

Completely random and entirely off-topic; but I liked that you used plausibility, possibly, and probability in the same post.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Bye.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY

I am not moving Grigs/Armia for ROR. I look at ROr as a 3rd line player. I am not giving up now top 6 potential players for him. I havent even address the recapture risk.

Then you need to get your eyes checked out, for real. The only way he's a 3rd liner is if its behind McDavid and Reinhart on our cup contending team... :rolleyes:

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

I would trade Grigs and Armia for ROR. I wouldn't think twice actually.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I would trade Grigs and Armia for ROR. I wouldn't think twice actually.

I think it would take a bigger piece like Foligno, Ott or Pysyk. Armia and Grigs have value but are far too unproven to get ROR, even as a throw in with Ehrhoff. Not sure if ROR would even sign the qualifying offer if he was traded to the Sabres, especially if Sacco is still on the staff.

Would much rather target Burmistrov and Ruutu, likely be easier and cheaper.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
It's always a possibility. The culture change is already happening with the old core, it's coach and GM gone. And while we are at the bottom, outshot on a nightly bases and lack offense, we're still within reach in basically every game. Yes, that is mostly on Miller, but not only.

This team is developing. If you compare what's happening on the ice now with what happened early this season, there's a difference. Improvement happens, although slowly. We've got talent in our pipeline and assets to make both trades and signings (and yes I know we're not exactly attractive to free agents right now) so things can change quickly. Is it likely? Naw. But I would like it to happen because sucking gets old fast.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013

If ROR were here next year he would be our first line center

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013

While the recapture is a concern, a good GM will work around it. Ehrhoff could bring a nice return to help in the rebuild.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
“If you do not have time to do it right, when will you find the time to do it over?” –John Wooden

If the Sabres try and speed things up, the likely outcome is that the rebuild is done on an incomplete foundation that dooms the team down the round.

Kind of like rebuilding after the Co-Cap years on the Rochester Boys foundation.

Overpaying for past their prime UFAs is no way to go.

No thank you.

ZeroPT*

Colorado has one of the best goalies in the world right now as well as Duchene,EJ,ROR,PAP and many other very good players. As mentioned Montreal were decimated by injuries and aren't even that good right now.

This team, will be even worse next year, I've said it all along.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

You must not be looking very closely. ROR is at least a highly capable two-way 2C. His offensive totals this year playing alongside Duchene don't lead me to believe he has high end #1 upside, but he could be a 1B type player. I'd trade Grigorenko and/or Armia for him any day of the week.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Even though he's spent the last 2 full seasons playing very well in a 1st line role (at 20 and 22 yrs old)

:facepalm:

He's been playing at a 0.70 pt per game pace for the last 3 seasons at 20-23 yrs old... (57 pt pace per 82 games)... That's basically a top 90 scoring forward pace.... all while playing a Selke caliber 2 way game.

Right now, he's leading the young Avalance in ES ice time for forwards.

Right now, he's scoring at the same pace as Bergeron, another elite 2 way forward.

I don't know why so many people insist on being so so stupid when it comes to Oreilly.

I'd trade BOTH Grigorenko AND Armia for Oreilly... and I'd add if I had to

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'd trade whatever pieces necessary for a core that included Oreilly and the tank assets without hurting our high end blueline youth

4 piece Forward Core : Oreilly, Reinhart, Girgensons, McDavid/Eichel
3 piece D Core : Myers, Risto, Zads

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Colorado was very much underachieving the past few years. They already went through their crappy period of getting high draft picks (Stasny, Shattenkirk, Duchene, Stewart, ROR, Landeskog, etc.), and then tried to balance things out by trading Stewart for EJ…so last year's 1st was ON TOP of an already stacked, though young team.

Once they land another high end defenseman, they're going to be a top team for many years. I wouldn't attribute too much to Roy…he just happened to be there when the high end guys started maturing imo.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'd trade whatever pieces necessary for a core that included Oreilly and the tank assets without hurting our high end blueline youth

4 piece Forward Core : Oreilly, Reinhart, Girgensons, McDavid/Eichel
3 piece D Core : Myers, Risto, Zads

I find it extremely hard to believe ROR will be available. Stasny would be the first to go, no? These are pipe dreams, though I do the same thing myself.

Edit: if you replace ROR with Hodgson, or whomever we can get for him, it's still not a bad core. Very balanced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad