Can this D-corp (plus an add) get us there?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
When healthy I think we have a d corps that can get us there. At least once Schultz is moved and we bring in a Harmonic level or better right shooting d man.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Add Byfuglien and we are pretty well set IMO.

Klefbom-Byfuglien
Nurse-Sekera
Davidson-Reinhart

The top pairing is probably about league average.

The 2nd pairing will be above league average once Nurse comes into his own.

The 3rd pairing will be above league average once Reinhart gets settled in.

I'd sooner pay Byfuglien big bucks and then deal one of Eberle or Yak for a power forward type than deal RNH for Jones or Hamonic.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just need something better than anything on the roster right now. Knock everyone down a peg on the depth chart and things would be ok on the back end. Hamonic would fit the bill and would add some much needed grit as opposed to another Sekera style player.

Also an upgrade on Schultz for the 3rd pairing who can be a #1 PP option would be nice.

This is why IMO Byfuglien is a great fit. He's physical, brings very good offensive skills, a big RH shot, and he'd be our best defenseman.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Even if the Oilers won 10 straight, other teams to keep pace:
Arizona would have to get 14 points in 12 games
Vancouver would have to get 14 points in 10 games
San Jose would have to get 15 points in 13 games
Calgary would have to get 17 points in 12 games

So even if the Oilers win ten straight (never going to happen in 100000 years after losing 7 of 8), the other teams have to hardly play better than .500 to keep pace with the Oilers. I'd say there's about 0.000001% chance of the Oilers making the playoffs.
I don't buy into those percentages, and I bet the real winning probabilities are better than you suggest. There have been teams in worse position than we are now but came back to make the playoffs. Percentages don't take the state of the team into account, and that we are a team that will get better over time.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
We need two more good defenseman. Even if they're just two more Sekera type of additions it allows us to be more patient and let Klefbom/Nurse establish themselves.

Klefbom - xxx
Sekera - Nurse
Davidson - xxx

We'll see about Reinhart.. Schultz needs to go.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
what I'm getting from this thread is that most people think playoffs are impossible with the group we have currently.

Idk, but the word "can" has more wiggle room for me I guess. We "can" make the playoffs this year, in this division, with our current D core assuming Klefbom gets back and both him and Sekera stay healthy.

edit: assuming 'get us there' means make the playoffs[/QUOTE]

actually, by 'get us there' I meant get us to the promised land of being a cup contender. Are they good enough to go forward with, without needing to trade a valuable player for a large D upgrade. Can we get by with just one more mid level FA signing and/or small trade?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
actually, by 'get us there' I meant get us to the promised land of being a cup contender. Are they good enough to go forward with, without needing to trade a valuable player for a large D upgrade. Can we get by with just one more mid level FA signing and/or small trade?

okay then I say no. In order for our current group of D to allow us to be a contender we need to be better. So, we would either need Nurse and Klefbom to take big steps forward, and maybe Schultz to break out of his funk, and then we would be good enough. All of that is certainly possible, but it would take time and luck.

We don't need to have the best D in the league just to be a contender though. Our identity will be our great forward core. So, we don't need to add an elite D. A guy like Hamonic or Byfuglien would be fine.

MagicOilers73

Jul 29, 2013
If our D is fully healthy, then we can reasonably compete with anyone in the league & can compete for a playoff spot. As we are looking for a #1 RHD, everyone is assuming we need a Doughty/Ekblad type, when all we really need is a Chara type, a veteran D that can settle things down for a couple of years to give Klefbom & Nurse time to flourish & establish themselves. As well as handle heavy mins.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
okay then I say no. In order for our current group of D to allow us to be a contender we need to be better. So, we would either need Nurse and Klefbom to take big steps forward, and maybe Schultz to break out of his funk, and then we would be good enough. All of that is certainly possible, but it would take time and luck.

We don't need to have the best D in the league just to be a contender though. Our identity will be our great forward core. So, we don't need to add an elite D. A guy like Hamonic or Byfuglien would be fine.

That's always been the story though......elite scoring. Yet, there has been no indication that this is, or ever will be, the case.

2010 - 28th
2011 - 19th
2012 - 18th
2013 - 24th
2014 - 26th
2015 - 22nd

They need an elite puck moving defenseman to start feeding the "great forward core".....right? Or is it to be a case of "they just need to get more experience" that gets talked about every year?

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
That's always been the story though......elite scoring. Yet, there has been no indication that this is, or ever will be, the case.

2010 - 28th
2011 - 19th
2012 - 18th
2013 - 24th
2014 - 26th
2015 - 22nd

They need an elite puck moving defenseman to start feeding the "great forward core".....right? Or is it to be a case of "they just need to get more experience" that gets talked about every year?

The future best player of that core hasn't been able to make much of an impact yet due to injury. McDavid and Draisaitl (not to mention the development of RNH/Ebs/Hall/Yak) will make a big difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad