Can they break the streak?

Disgruntled Observer*

The cap is going down. And the small market teams get more revenue sharing. This is more of a win for the poor teams.

I don't see how this is good news for the rich teams at all from a competitive standpoint.

You're right.

It's just year one where the rich teams have a bigger financial advantage.

AFter that, it goes back to the $16 million difference between cap floor and ceiling.

Bad news for us.

Spanning 3 GM's and 7 nhl seasons, the leafs never made the playoffs when they only had a $16 million advantage over the poor teams. For the leafs to succeed, we need at least a $30 million advantage. Like the good ol' days.

Apr 1, 2010
You're right.

It's just year one where the rich teams have a bigger financial advantage.

AFter that, it goes back to the $16 million difference between cap floor and ceiling.

Bad news for us.

Spanning 3 GM's and 7 nhl seasons, the leafs never made the playoffs when they only had a $16 million advantage over the poor teams. For the leafs to succeed, we need at least a $30 million advantage. Like the good ol' days.

Why do you even bother logging in?

First off they will not outspend anybody by 30M. BUt that is a fact so keep ignoring it.

Second Even if the LEafs out spent the small market teams by 30M there are still more than enough teams ahead of us on the curve to ensure the LEafs won't make the post season this year.

Disgruntled Observer*

Why do you even bother logging in?

First off they will not outspend anybody by 30M. BUt that is a fact so keep ignoring it.

Second Even if the LEafs out spent the small market teams by 30M there are still more than enough teams ahead of us on the curve to ensure the LEafs won't make the post season this year.

6 different teams that spent near the cap basement got more points than the leafs last year. The leafs... in year four of a "retool", that spent $1 million shy of the ceiling.

An almost $16 million advantage isn't enough for a lame duck GM like Burke. $30 million may have been more manageable for Mr. incompetence... but he only has one season to try and make it work.
Imagine all those GM's working with a $16 million disadvantage who still manage to get more points than the leafs year after year.
It's so ridiculous. So ridiculously ridiculous.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Will the Leafs make the playoffs this year? I think with a shortened season anything is possible.

It is possible, yes, but probable, no.

The defense took quite a hit with Gardiner out for a while, bringing Komisarek back to the fore.

If they get Luongo, the balance may shift, depending on what present assets they give up.

But with Reimer/Scrivens, probably not.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON

The defense took quite a hit with Gardiner out for a while, bringing Komisarek back to the fore.

If they get Luongo, the balance may shift, depending on what present assets they give up.

This is a big misconception that is just spreading like wildfire today. Gardiner is back working out without symptoms, who's to say he doesn't play opening night, let alone be out for a while?

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
We always play good first the past 2 seasons...well now this is the first half. If we can get around 32-35 and some confidence, we can not only make the playoffs but make a run to the cup

Thoughts?

In 2010-11, they started 4-0-1, but then went 1-8-2 for the next 11.

At the 48-game mark, they were 19-24-5, a 73-point pace for a 82-game season.

So no, they did not have a good first half two years ago.

Even last year, they were at 25-19-5 after 48 games, a 91-point pace for a 82-game season. Very borderline (a bit below the border).

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011

You are correct! With a Reimer/Scrivens tandem, this team is most likely not even near the playoffs. With Luongo or another proven guy in net (plus the benefit of a shorter season), it could get interesting.

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
In 2010-11, they started 4-0-1, but then went 1-8-2 for the next 11.

At the 48-game mark, they were 19-24-5, a 73-point pace for a 82-game season.

So no, they did not have a good first half two years ago.

Even last year, they were at 25-19-5 after 48 games, a 91-point pace for a 82-game season. Very borderline (a bit below the border).

As I remember, last year at the midway point of the season the Leafs were indeed in a playoff spot. (I could be wrong)

Anyways, the biggest plus going in to this season for me is the coaching change. I hope RC can work these guys out and have them play as a team and a better defensive system than RW's.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
This is a big misconception that is just spreading like wildfire today. Gardiner is back working out without symptoms, who's to say he doesn't play opening night, let alone be out for a while?

Lets take our time with gardiner, I dont want another reimer fiasco.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
As I remember, last year at the midway point of the season the Leafs were indeed in a playoff spot.

Anyways, the biggest plus going in to this season for me is the coaching change. I hope RC can work these guys out and have them play as a team and a better defensive system than RW's.

However with RCs system, I see our GF dropping by quite a bit. We barely scored after he took over last season.

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
However with RCs system, I see our GF dropping by quite a bit. We barely scored after he took over last season.

He didn't have much time. The GF can drop as long as the GA drops at a higher rate. We'll see what happens. I'm only hoping.

darty

Dec 1, 2008
As I remember, last year at the midway point of the season the Leafs were indeed in a playoff spot. (I could be wrong)

Going to be tough to get good practices in with such a condensed schedule, unfortunately. I will be very impressed if he can put together a decent season without any fiascos/drama along the way.

Apr 1, 2010
6 different teams that spent near the cap basement got more points than the leafs last year. The leafs... in year four of a "retool", that spent $1 million shy of the ceiling.

An almost $16 million advantage isn't enough for a lame duck GM like Burke. $30 million may have been more manageable for Mr. incompetence... but he only has one season to try and make it work.
Imagine all those GM's working with a $16 million disadvantage who still manage to get more points than the leafs year after year.
It's so ridiculous. So ridiculously ridiculous.

Every team in the league is scheduled to spend more than 50M this year according to Capgeek. Which means it is physically impossible for the LEafs to outspend other teams by 30M. Got nothing to do with who was near the basement and everything to do with trying to keep you honest.

Even next year. Before the agreement was signed the NHLPA wanted to keep 70M top cap and NHL wanted 44M bottom cap.

Now there is no way the top went up and the bottom went down in hte last two days so once again you are not being honest when you say 30M.

PLease if I am wrong point it out and I will appolgise, but I think you are posting dishonest numbers and calling them facts.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

I read/heard that he was riding a stationary bike but had not begun skating yet and that he might be out for a month.

If he's back by opening night, that'll be further confirmation that you can't trust HF Boards. ;)

Apr 1, 2010

Really that is good to hear.

YOu got a link to an article or something? WOuld love to read it.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

(...)

48 games is different than 41 (midway point) but you may be right.

Someone posted earlier that they were tied for 8th at the 48-game mark, but that the other team had only played 47 games.

Anyway, as I wrote, their pace at the 48-game point was 91 points (90.54 to be precise), and 91 points is borderline for the playoffs, generally south of the border...

Disgruntled Observer*

Every team in the league is scheduled to spend more than 50M this year according to Capgeek. Which means it is physically impossible for the LEafs to outspend other teams by 30M. Got nothing to do with who was near the basement and everything to do with trying to keep you honest.

Even next year. Before the agreement was signed the NHLPA wanted to keep 70M top cap and NHL wanted 44M bottom cap.

Now there is no way the top went up and the bottom went down in hte last two days so once again you are not being honest when you say 30M.

PLease if I am wrong point it out and I will appolgise, but I think you are posting dishonest numbers and calling them facts.

The freaking cap basement just lowered YESTERDAY! YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGHGHHHH

Teams are currently at the cap basement of the old CBA (which was around $50 million.)

THEY'VE ONLY HAD ONE DAY TO CUT COSTS!!!!!!

The poor teams that are losing millions are OF COURSE going to cut/trade expensive players to get down closer to the basement.

It's just such common sense.

I'm flabbergasted that I even had to write this post. It's shocking!!!

Apr 1, 2010
The freaking cap basement just lowered YESTERDAY! YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGHGHHHH

Teams are currently at the cap basement of the old CBA (which was around $50 million.)

THEY'VE ONLY HAD ONE DAY TO CUT COSTS!!!!!!

The poor teams that are losing millions are OF COURSE going to cut/trade expensive players to get down closer to the basement.

It's just such common sense.

I'm flabbergasted that I even had to write this post. It's shocking!!!
So the cap basement is 40M and the cap ceiling is 70M+0.1 or more?

Disgruntled Observer*

So the cap basement is 40M and the cap ceiling is 70M+0.1 or more?

The basement is 44M and ceiling is 70.2

So the difference went from $16 million to $26.8 million. (Or "almost $30 million" as I said before.)

A very significant increase. Burke's advantage almost DOUBLED!!!

*Common sense footnote for Charliolemieux ( and ONLY Charliolemieux... everyone else understands without explanation).
Poor nhl teams have only had 1 day to adjust to the decreased cap basement. They are still standing at the basement from LAST season. Once that happens, the leafs will have an almost $30 million advantage over a substantial amount of the competition*

Apr 1, 2010

So the difference went from $16 million to $26.8 million. (Or "almost $30 million" as I said before.)

*Common sense footnote for Charliolemieux ( and ONLY Charliolemieux... everyone else understands without explanation).
Poor nhl teams have only had 1 day to adjust to the decreased cap basement. They are still standing at the basement from LAST season. Once that happens, the leafs will have an almost $30 million advantage over a substantial amount of the competition*

So it is not for 30M. Why did you lie?

It is 26.2Million not 26 .8M.

$30 million may have been more manageable for Mr. incompetence... but he only has one season to try and make it work.

Don't see "almost 30M" there.

For the leafs to succeed, we need at least a $30 million advantage.

Don't see "almost 30M" there either. Infact you say "At least".

Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer
I thought this lockout was all about protecting the smaller markets.

But now the leafs can spend almost $30 million more than the poor teams.

What happened?

I guess it's good for us in the long run.

What a ridiculous advantage.
With our new $30 freaking million advantage, I'm sure Burke will find a way to get us into the playoffs.
And his supporters will rant on and on about how much of a genius Burke is for doing it.
But leaf fan realists will know that it doesn't take a "genius" to make the playoffs when you have a $30 million advantage.
Only once of 4 times do you say 'Almost 30M"?

Care to explain?

Apr 1, 2010

Nice back track.

26.2 is closer to "More htan 25M" than it is to "Almost 30M"

Totally disingenious for you to suggest that it is closer to 30M than 25M.

Now why the hell do I have to put up with this kind of crap?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

This is correct on all points.

Disgruntled Observer*

Nice back track.

26.2 is closer to "More htan 25M" than it is to "Almost 30M"

Totally disingenious for you to suggest that it is closer to 30M than 25M.

Now why the hell do I have to put up with this kind of crap?

Because it's literally impossible to defend Burke, his supporters have to resort to this type of arguing.

I wrote "Almost 30" as opposed to "26.2".
Oh the horror.

It makes almost no difference at all.
Having an advantage of "almost $30 million" or "$26.2 million" is DRAMATIC FREAKING ADVANTAGE!!!!!

Could you possibly nitpick any further?

I guess mission accomplished though.
You're actually quite crafty.

Instead of focusing on the inarguable facts that Burke is a terrible GM, you were successfully able to dumb this conversion down to nitpicking about the numbers "almost 30" and "26.2".
Well done sir. Excellent use of rhetoric and spin.
Credit where credit is due.

Apr 1, 2010
Because it's literally impossible to defend Burke, his supporters have to resort to this type of arguing.

I wrote "Almost 30" as opposed to "26.2".
Oh the horror.

It makes almost no difference at all.
Having an advantage of "almost $30 million" or "$26.2 million" is DRAMATIC FREAKING ADVANTAGE!!!!!

Could you possibly nitpick any further?

I guess mission accomplished though.
You're actually quite crafty.

Instead of focusing on the inarguable facts that Burke is a terrible GM, you were successfully able to dumb this conversion down to nitpicking about the numbers "almost 30" and "26.2".
Well done sir. Excellent use of rhetoric and spin.
Credit where credit is due.

1. Are you sure your #'s are accurate? I heard buyouts don't start until next year, which makes all your statements lies.
2. There has been zero buyouts to day so once again your statements are lies.
3. You have n o proof that Toronto intends to spend to 70M this year. So that is a lie.

4. Regardless of when the buyouts can occur, or the max gap in cap room, you have zero proof that enough teams have decided to go to the cap floor while Toronto spends to the cap that they would even make the post season.

Your entire statement was a lie. A Bunch of Lies and fabrications.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad