Can no longer search Twitter/view tweets without an account?

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I only use Twitter as a newsfeed. It seems every mobile browser I use is now blocking me from seeing tweets. I can see a tweet initially but as I click on it or do a side search, the browser keeps trying to force me to login or sign up.

Has Anyone else noticed this?

I have android and have tried mobile chrome, Firefox, and Amaze browser.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
That's horrible. . One of the good things about social media is how it can me used for emergencies like amber alerts. Now fewer people will spot these if they don't have a Twitter account. Most traditional message forums like this one allows people to view posts.

But not Twitter?

I guess I can sign up and have a skeleton account. Not happy

Last edited:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
If what you're seeing is an Android mobile pop-up that reads ...
Don’t miss what’s happening
People on Twitter are the first to know.
Switch to the app​
... I continue browsing the underlying Twitter page by simply closing that annoying window using the X.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

... I continue browsing the underlying Twitter page by simply closing that annoying window using the X.

That only works for a few seconds now. After clicking on the X, you still see the initial search results, but any further click to any one tweet, you get the pop up again and exiting it will not enable you to enter the Twitter conversion.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I only use Twitter as a newsfeed. It seems every mobile browser I use is now blocking me from seeing tweets. I can see a tweet initially but as I click on it or do a side search, the browser keeps trying to force me to login or sign up.

Has Anyone else noticed this?

I have android and have tried mobile chrome, Firefox, and Amaze browser.
I had the same problem (Android). Use Brave browser, it's the best browser anyways imo and the twitter shit isn't affecting it like chrome.

Try it for yourself.

Doesn't work

Reactions: Jetsfan79

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I had the same problem (Android). Use Brave browser, it's the best browser anyways imo and the twitter shit isn't affecting it like chrome.

Try it for yourself.

It's works for the most part. Occasionally I still get the sign-up pop up but I generally can exit and still navigate . I fear Twitter will eventually create an algorithm to invade Brave. Thanks though, for now this will be my go to

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
In case I do have to join one day, for those who have twitter, is there a way you can disable your account so Noone can tweet or follow you? I will likely never tweet or follow anything in my life . I Just use it like a news website or search engine.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Had the problem at work today, and part of my job is getting background on social media posts.

Found that going ack to Google and clicking back into Twitter works, but it may just be for me that I can put up with such a routine.

Sep 19, 2008
There is a lot of anger about twitter and social media and old people bitching about how they don't use no social media like Facebook or Twitter

At this point you are out of the loop if you don't have any type of social media; i'm not sure how you could follow sports without it

Yes I am a twitter nerd and social media savant but I also follow certain people on social media so a lot of the garbage escapes me. If you use social media responsibly you can be updated of trades without issue

Reactions: PanthersPens62

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Are private boards like Hfboards considered social media?

I don't think so. Traditional message boards are generally topic focused and where you go to discuss specific things. Social media is a presence where people can find you and you can talk about basically anything but it's tied to your profile heavily and has as much to do with who you are talking to as what you are talking about.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I don't think so. Traditional message boards are generally topic focused and where you go to discuss specific things. Social media is a presence where people can find you and you can talk about basically anything but it's tied to your profile heavily and has as much to do with who you are talking to as what you are talking about.
But isn't that just the long-winded description for what @Tarantula dubbed "anti social media"? :huh:

Reactions: Tarantula

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
But isn't that just the long-winded description for what @Tarantula dubbed "anti social media"? :huh:

Well he was specifically talking about the lounge, but I don't think HF or traditional message boards can be defined as anti something that wasn't invented until like a decade and a half later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad