Can Montreal Really Take The Next Step With St. Louis As The Coach ?

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Sitting here with the Habs up 4-1 mid game over Ottawa coming into the the game 1-1. The team is where it is expected or ahead of what is deemed by those who know all. This is year of being in the mix and being in the mix extends to being in the playoffs not just being on the outside.

chapeau

Jan 16, 2019
Hard to tell. No coach is making that Habs roster look good this year. Their bottom 6 has some guys who should not be in the NHL at this point in Anderson and Gally. Their defense is young with some potential but not very good. Their goalie is unproven and a waiver wire pickup, remains to be seen what he is.

Habs have a few years until they are competitive IMO.
Gallagher has 12 points in his last 10 games.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I would not sleep on Montreal. They have a very good team with above average goaltending.

They are going to have some nights where they show glimpses of promise

But they will have more nights where they just plain suck.

That's the mark of a young team in transition.

As for goaltending, huge question marks behind Montembeault

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
MSL has done a great job developing young talent. His teams have been incredibly young and inexperienced.

Short answer is that we don’t know yet. Honestly thought, I don’t see why not. The players love him and he’s done a great job developing these guys so far.

• Love
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Hard to tell. No coach is making that Habs roster look good this year. Their bottom 6 has some guys who should not be in the NHL at this point in Anderson and Gally. Their defense is young with some potential but not very good. Their goalie is unproven and a waiver wire pickup, remains to be seen what he is.
There’s nothing wrong with Montreal’s bottom six - but it’s grossly overpaid. At this point it doesn’t matter much but this contracts are crazy for bottom six players.
Habs have a few years until they are competitive IMO.
I think they’re probably an 85 point team. They might sniff the playoffs this year but I don’t think they make it.

I think they’ll be competitive for a spot next year. But it’ll be a few years before they’re challenging for a championship.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Expect the offense to improve this year and expect the defense to be bad.

Wildcard is Montembeault. Can he hold the fort enough to get them to the postseason? I don’t think he can. Not with that D.

Reactions: Lshap

Mar 26, 2010

As for goaltending, huge question marks behind Montembeault
Montembeault is solid. Big potential there.

Caufield is a goal scoring machine. Once Laine comes back that PP is going to be lethal.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Starting the season without playing the majority of their squad together in the pre season wasnt the best.

Looked night and day against Ottawa last night, I definitely think they can take the step with Msl.

Montreal is in a rebuild, tail end may be, but still right on track with good prospects in the pipeline and good players on the roster.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
28 High Danger Chances Against (5v5) in 2 games......Not to mention the fact that when you look at the metrics that i consider important they were bottom 10 in those categories lsat year....

I know the season is young and the team is young but he has been there for a few years now ......
I don't know if the coach is the issue that back end just is very young and not that great as is the team, they need to develop.

Jan 21, 2018
3 straight years at the bottom of the league = coach’s fault

Picking the wrong player every time they have a lottery pick = GM’s fault

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad