Can Lucic bounce back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
lmao

classic "advanced stats guy" comment...you are "smarter" because chose to believe advance stats as fact instead of what they are....supportive numbers

tell me again how Cody Franson is an NHLer

First, this doesn't make any sense at all. Do you know what facts are?

I guess you must be a genius because you can prattle endlessly on about how advanced stats don't tell the whole story and then claim that all that matters is "production." (Not to mention the fact I haven't even used advanced stats in this thread.)

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
First, this doesn't make any sense at all. Do you know what facts are?

I guess you must be a genius because you can prattle endlessly on about how advanced stats don't tell the whole story and then claim that all that matters is "production." (Not to mention the fact I haven't even used advanced stats in this thread.)
that not what I'm saying at all

people commented by Lucic has looked better then you throw out the comment "Lucic is bad cause look at these stats (getting outshot and outchanced and outscored)" without even watching him play (you clearly don't if you just throw out stats like that)
Lucic is having bad stats but not entirely his fault at all when playing with a poor Draisaitl and a rookie...also playing with a bad Benning

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
that not what I'm saying at all

people commented by Lucic has looked better then you throw out the comment "Lucic is bad cause look at these stats (getting outshot and outchanced and outscored)" without even watching him play (you clearly don't if you just throw out stats like that)
Lucic is having bad stats but not entirely his fault at all when playing with a poor Draisaitl and a rookie...also playing with a bad Benning

The thing is, the bar for success for this guy is so low for some people that it's a win if he hits the ice without his skateguards on.

Many of the comments I've seen here support my own observations and the numbers: he's playing better than he did last season (which isn't saying that much) but he's not contributing.

You might think the fact a $6 million "veteran leader" playing like a decent NHL third liner is something to celebrate. I don't.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The thing is, the bar for success for this guy is so low for some people that it's a win if he hits the ice without his skateguards on.

Many of the comments I've seen here support my own observations and the numbers: he's playing better than he did last season (which isn't saying that much) but he's not contributing.

You might think the fact a $6 million "veteran leader" playing like a decent NHL third liner is something to celebrate. I don't.

So let me get this straight, instead of being positive about him playing better than last season while many predicted that it was all downhill from there, we should just keep whining about him when he's going out there and working hard? Was it his fault that Leon started slowly and he played with Yamo? The reality is that it will be hard for him to earn his contract but I'll take a guy that's overpaid but still a decent player over the Lucic that we saw last year all day long.

Reactions: nabob

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

On pace for 20 goals 40ish points, while being a bit of a nuclear deterrent for a team that was historically VERY easily bullied.

He's pretty much what we signed him up to be.

Reactions: Pugilist and nabob

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
So let me get this straight, instead of being positive about him playing better than last season while many predicted that it was all downhill from there, we should just keep whining about him when he's going out there and working hard? Was it his fault that Leon started slowly and he played with Yamo? The reality is that it will be hard for him to earn his contract but I'll take a guy that's overpaid but still a decent player over the Lucic that we saw last year all day long.

Until that actually translates to results I don't see what there is to get excited about.

I also don't think him throwing more hits or working harder is really going to matter when the things that have made him so ineffective at 5v5 the last two years (the lack of speed, the poor puckhandling and decision making) are still present in his game.

On pace for 20 goals 40ish points, while being a bit of a nuclear deterrent for a team that was historically VERY easily bullied.

He's pretty much what we signed him up to be.

I don't think we signed him to be a sub 40 point third liner.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
This is why advanced stats have a bad reputation.

I mean, there are people in this thread complaining about advanced stats like shots and goals, so it's not like we stumbled into a meeting of the Nobel Prize committee here.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
the lack of speed, the poor puckhandling and decision making

He has been much better in all of these areas so far this season compared to the 2nd half of last season. If you believe otherwise IMO your opinion comes across as biased. If he was anywhere close to as bad as he was late last season more people would be calling for his head.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
He has been much better in all of these areas so far this season compared to the 2nd half of last season. If you believe otherwise IMO your opinion comes across as biased. If he was anywhere close to as bad as he was late last season more people would be calling for his head.

Again: that's an extremely low bar. Is he better than last year's impression of a corpse on skates? Sure. Is he helping the team the way a vet top sixer making $6M a year should? So far, I'd say that's a no. You can blame his wingers or the D behind him, but by my eye he hasn't been good enough.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Again: that's an extremely low bar.

Improvement beats stagnation or regression. I agree that it would be ideal if he was playing even better but it's been all of 4 games and he's shown so far that he's at least here to play so far so I'll take that positive and hope that he builds off of it.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Improvement beats stagnation or regression. I agree that it would be ideal if he was playing even better but it's been all of 4 games and he's shown so far that he's at least here to play so far so I'll take that positive and hope that he builds off of it.

I guess I need to see a lot more given how bad he was last year, all the smoke and rumours around him in the offseason, and how much longer we can expect to be stuck with him.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
He's never going to be the old Lucic. He hasn't been for about four years but he's had a pretty solid start and really showed his value in and why we signed him tonight. Who else is going to step up like that and peel Wagner off of Strome and then have a respect to respect agreement with Chara that they aren't going to fight each other. Chara usually goes in there and grabs a guy and simply throws him half way across the ice. That didn't happen and the only big guy out there was Lucic.

He had a lot going on last year. He's started off well. It's not a Rembrandt but he seems to still get it done for what he was signed for and that's reliable leadership, intimidation and still second line production or third line over-producer. I look at his contract as half for his leadership and room skills and half for what he does on the ice.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

Like fury mentioned the bar is incredibly low. He's getting love for trying hard. At 6m a year wrong side of 30 with an in tradeable contract I guess we have to see rch for any silver lining. Eg look at his hit stats, he's playing with Leon Draisaitl etc.

I may be an outlier but I assume a veteran making 6m a year should be able to carry his own line and contribute offensively rather than just intangibles.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Like fury mentioned the bar is incredibly low. He's getting love for trying hard. At 6m a year wrong side of 30 with an in tradeable contract I guess we have to see rch for any silver lining. Eg look at his hit stats, he's playing with Leon Draisaitl etc.

I may be an outlier but I assume a veteran making 6m a year should be able to carry his own line and contribute offensively rather than just intangibles.
6m doesn’t get you players who carry their own line, it’s not 2010

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
He's playing well. Last year he was an absolute black hole that sucked up offense with everyone he played with.

Clearly better, and that's good.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I'm really happy he's done pretty well so far. He looks quite a bit faster than last year. I've seen him out skate some opponents a few times, and he's beating guys to pucks. His puck handling is still not great, but I'm not sure that is all that fixable.

He seems way more dynamic on his feet this year. He definitely had a solid off season.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
He had a good game last night and if he can continue to be effective against other teams' bottom six units, that has value. Fact is, though, he shouldn't be in the plans past this season.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
His GREbar and GREbarX metrics are among the best in the league so far. Can't argue with that.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I'm happy with his play so far.

He's not great, he's not a 1st liner, he's not even good by top 6 standards.

But hell, he has been decent and contributed.

So he’s above the cap dump line? He’s been an NHL player but this team needs more than a warm body. Our drafting and development need to vastly improve soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad