Can Jack Hughes be New Jersey's first 100-point player?

Jack Hughes - NJ's first 100 point player?

• Total voters

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He is going to have to start taking the middle of the ice to even sniff 90 points. I think we are going to have to see huge strides in his game if he is going to get to 100 points.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's got the potential too, as good a chance as any U22 player in the world.

He looks like he's done a lot of bulking up this summer, the extended off-season could be huge for his development.

If he's anything like his brother Quinn, he should take a huge jump from age 18/19 to 19/20. Quinn really wasn't all that impressive in international tournaments at 18, and even now you can see how much better he's gotten since March.

Reactions: Swiss Prodigy

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He could, but I wouldn't gamble on it. Especially if he is tasked with the demands of being a center. He's going to need an elite goal scorer like Marner has had to get close. He simply isn't a good enough goal scorer on his own.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
He could, but I wouldn't gamble on it. Especially if he is tasked with the demands of being a center. He's going to need an elite goal scorer like Marner has had to get close. He simply isn't a good enough goal scorer on his own.
Am I missing something? I agree with what you said but I don't think anyone including Leaf fans consider Marner an "elite goalscorer"

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Am I missing something? I agree with what you said but I don't think anyone including Leaf fans consider Marner an "elite goalscorer"
Meant, he going to need to play alongside an elite goal scorer like Marner has in Tavares and Matthews. Not that Marner is an elite goal scorer. I clearly know he isn't. Nice selective bolding. "Like Marner has had" is pretty clear I'm talking about who he plays with.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I need to see more before I can say yes. Not impossible but you'd have to be one of the top tier 1st overalls for me to say yes, and after his rookie season the needle didn't move up any.

Also since 2008, McDavid is the only 1st overall to crack 100 points. Mackinnon would have but injuries/covid kinda prevented that. I'm voting no.

that will change soon. Nate Mac will do it soon. Matthews should approach it is well (94pt/82 game pace this year and has increased ppg every single year)

I dont see hughes or hischier ever doing it. Dahlin is obvious as well

Reactions: HarryLime

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The question is "can he". Yes - he can. In a career year i could see him doing 100. He certainly don't do it consistently, but it's possible he hits it once. Not sure if he will or not though

TorontoMedia

Aug 11, 2020
Not a bad thing, Barzal is very good. I don't see him scoring 100 points though. Also he hasn't smoked us since his rookie year.

Is Hughes a better skater than Barzal? Does he have better hands? A better shot? Higher IQ etc.
Both are pretty weak in the shot department. I think Hughes has better hands and agility/speed, but in terms of strength on their skates Barzal has him beat by miles. I know they both circle the zone quite a bit but I’m not sure how similar or players they actually are

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Meant, he going to need to play alongside an elite goal scorer like Marner has in Tavares and Matthews. Not that Marner is an elite goal scorer. I clearly know he isn't. Nice selective bolding. "Like Marner has had" is pretty clear I'm talking about who he plays with.
fair, I guess I misread what you were saying

Reactions: d rake

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I don't think so.

When was the last time Hughes played against equal competition? He wasn't great in the NHL this year, was better than the NTDP competition in his draft year, wasn't great at the World Juniors as a draft eligible. Maybe the year before his draft year?

I think he's got '1st line' upside but I don't think he's going to be a top 5 forward.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Definitely not.
It depends on what NJ surrounds Jack with. After a very poor rookie season (shouldn’t have been in the NHL) it doesn’t look like he will get anywhere near 100 points. But if Jersey can find a terrific centre, and move Jack to wing, I think he’s more likely to become a point producer.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
how does he compare to Barzal? They have similar skillsets. Barzal isn't close to 100 points.

Think Barzal gets to a 100 one day. Heck, he was at 85 his 20 year old rookie season. It would help if he played in an offensive system with some running mates. Think Barzal is cool with sacrificing offense to win hockey games though. Not to hijack the Jack thread. Think Jack gets to a 100 one day too

REM17

Jul 21, 2010
Switzerland
I do hope his goal is not to score 100 and ask 11/8 after his elc just to get eliminated in the first round.
His goal should be to get into the playoffs and go as deep as possible regardless of his personal stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad