Can goalie ever be considered best player in the NHL? Has anyone been close?

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
For those that are too young to know, Hasek was basically like a McDavid of the goaltending position. In the way that McDavid moves and reacts differently than all other players, Hasek was that for goalies. His positioning, anticipation, flexibility were all on a different level. He was so on top of the play at all times. Sometimes it seemed as if he turned into that brick wall from the old Wayne Gretzky's 3d hockey game. I think he was the only goalie of the modern era who legitimately intimidated players and teams. Maybe Giguere during his cup run...but Hasek did it for about a decade.

Reactions: crowfish

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Not only that Dubnyk nearly matched Price's stats.

.933/1.96 vs .929/2.07

ninja edit: Not to tear down Price, but it does bug me that the media/fans love to forget that he played behind Subban-Markov-Emelin-Gonchar that year. It's not like it was him and a bunch of AHL'ers
Gonchar was on his last leg in this league. Subban and Markov are offensive D men and Emelin was a #5 on a good team. Price carried the Habs for years. Bottom 10 team every single year he was there if not for him.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
They will be, put for shorter periods of time.

Think Hasek in Nagano and a few seasons, Roy in 86s and 93s playoffs, Giguère, Thomas, Price... It happens, but it's shorter than a whole year most of the time.
Statistically, Roy wasn't the best goalie of those '93 playoffs... Curtis Joseph was

Roy
21.4 GSAA and a GA% of 68 in 20 games

Joseph
18.7 GSAA and a GA% of just 59 in 11 games

In fact, Joseph was the NHL's best goalie throughout the entire '93 season, leading the league in the following stats: .911 SV%, 57.4 GSAA, 77 GA%, 16.2 GPS

His GSAA of 57.4 that season is the 5th best single season GSAA in NHL history - a mark which stands today as the highest total since '76

Reactions: WingsFan95

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
I don't think it's at all controversial to say top goaltenders are more valuable to their teams than top forwards. First of all few forwards are averaging even 30+ minutes a game while the goaltender is in their the whole time and although pressure shifts from game to game, over the long haul unless a goalie has one of the best defenses in the league up front he's going to face a lot of heat and could be a brick wall.

People have already referenced Hasek, Roy and Price but even situations like Bobrovsky on his teams he was the most valuable player in the league. But I guess the OP is asking best overall in terms of talent. This is the hard point. There's also a reason only 3 goaltenders have been picked #1 overall in the NHL. Although given the amount of busts does that really indicate proper judgment?

I think there's also an argument to be made there are less all-time goaltenders historically than d-men and forwards making the top level of goaltenders arguably greater.

If we just look at comparing Hasek, Roy, Cujo, Belfour, Beezer, Hextall, Quick, Brodeur at their best there's not many forwards I'd take over them, certainly not on a x3 level.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
There have arguably been several goalies who were the best player in the NHL during certain seasons. Arguably.

It is not arguable that Hasek was the best player in the NHL for a minimum of two seasons. Peak Hasek was one of the greatest joys to watch in my time as a hockey fan.

Finro

Oct 13, 2018
For those that are too young to know, Hasek was basically like a McDavid of the goaltending position. In the way that McDavid moves and reacts differently than all other players, Hasek was that for goalies. His positioning, anticipation, flexibility were all on a different level. He was so on top of the play at all times. Sometimes it seemed as if he turned into that brick wall from the old Wayne Gretzky's 3d hockey game. I think he was the only goalie of the modern era who legitimately intimidated players and teams. Maybe Giguere during his cup run...but Hasek did it for about a decade.
I remember reading an interview where Hasek said he enjoyed playing in 80-90s because goalies were more fun to watch since they weren't just using butterfly style.

I was just wondering that why isn't there goalies today who try to copy what Hasek did? Surely he inspired many. Isn't there something that modern goalies could learn from him? Is it proven that butterfly is automaticly the best style and everybody from juniors should be taught that?

I'm just very interested in this topic. I never played goalie position and I'd like to learn more about training goalies today.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Price in 2015. The scoring leader was Benn. So a weak year for forwards combined with an outstanding year for a goaltender can lead to the latter being considered the best in the league.
That's like saying Theodore was the best player in the world in 2002. Compared to other goalies Price wasn't even super impressive. Ovechkin was probably still the best. He scored 53 goals in a league where only 2 other people scored more than 40 and 15 players in total scored more than 30, compared to 54 players last season.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nathaniel Skywalker

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
That's like saying Theodore was the best player in the world in 2002. Compared to other goalies Price wasn't even super impressive. Ovechkin was probably still the best. He scored 53 goals in a league where only 2 other people scored more than 40 and 15 players in total scored more than 30, compared to 54 players last season.
If goals were the only thing that mattered, you’d have a point but when a goalie wins the Hart, Vezina, and Lindsay while the best forward has a measly 87pts, it’s a goalie/dman year.

The Hart voting also wasn’t close with Price racking up 139 first place votes to Ovechkin’s 8.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
A number of them have been the best performer for one season.

The only one that comes to mind who was the man for multiple seasons like a Crosby/McDavid was Hasek.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
It's funny to read how Price carried the Habs for years as a playoff team while being a not so good goaltender.

Price was the kind of player that makes everyone better on ice. A third defenseman, sound and reliable and give his anemic offense team a chance to win every night. At his peak, I would pick him over any forward or defenseman of this era to win a game.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
This is so wrong it’s not even funny lmfao
Even Ovechkin’s coach said Price was the best player in the NHL

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Hasek in the late 90s for sure, Roy in 93 as well.

Homer pick yada yada but Luongo in 07 deserved the Hart.
I don’t think I can remember a goalie carrying his team as much as Lou did in 07. I doubt they make the playoffs without him instead they won the division and made it to the second round.

Reactions: God

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This is so wrong it’s not even funny lmfao
Even Ovechkin’s coach said Price was the best player in the NHL
and Roy was in 93 .....when all was said and done.

I don’t think I can remember a goalie carrying his team as much as Lou did in 07. I doubt they make the playoffs without him instead they won the division and made it to the second round.
Roy won the cup and the con smythe for the Habs twice.
Lou who ?

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
To me, it’s 100% no. you need to assess who is the best goalie and who is the best skater, the positions are so different it’s like they are playing a different sport. It’s like asking who is the best, Gretzky or Jordan? You can talk about who you think is the best athlete, but Gretzky is obviously better at hockey and Jordan is obviously better at basketball.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Was that the year they lined up against Dallas in R1?

Think Marty Turco's still the only goalie in NHL history to record three shutouts in a single playoff series - and still lose the series. :banghead: :laugh:

Also, regarding the topic at hand.......Hasek was the first name that comes to mind. Got the hardware to prove it, too.

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad