Prospect Info: Cam Squires (#122 Pick - 4th round - 2023 Draft)

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Can you break down his game and tell why do you think he will translate his game on NHL level?
I'm not sure...I just appreciate that he already seems to have a pro-type game in that he is very involved at both ends of the ice. I think some untapped offensive upside as well...he was one of the only real threats on a team that played a very defensive system. And did so at 18. He's already got a solid floor because there don't appear to be any big gaps in his game with possibly more offense to give when he is surrounded by more skilled players.

Oh and he's from PEI. Easy to cheer for most of the kids that come from that part of the world.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
From what I have seen from highlights all of last year is he is a very skilled player. No elite parts to his game but he seems like he a has a really good motor , above average shot , play making & skating. He is a bit undersized but not tiny on the ice. If we are being realistic he has the skill set IMO of a 2nd line player but if he even becomes a good 3rd line winger than its pretty easily a very good 4th round pick. It seems what really matters the most with him is if he will be able to produce against better players in the AHL and hopefully NHL someday. The talent is certainly there though. Him and Filmom were good players to take a gamble on.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
early stat line looked a little underwhelming after an electric end to last season/strong showing in camp, so i wanted to check in on squires
  • sniped a goal on maybe his 2nd shift of the game lol. nifty little redirect pass from the boards to get a rush going from his own zone. kept good distance as he trailed, easy lane for his linemate to hit in the high slot. nothing too fancy here, just effective
  • got the 2nd goal going as well. grabbed the puck along the boards (about the same location as 1st goal) and sent a two line chip pass to his linemate who was posted up just outside the off zone. little bit more of a bouncing/in the right area type pass than it was some beautiful, tape to tape play, but the awareness and willingness to try were appreciated
  • had so many plays that showed off his high end anticipation: a D to D intercept that he took in for a dangerous chance, an upright shot block that he was quick to grab out of midair and turn into a counterattack, a shorthanded steal off an errant breakout pass that he converted on. no way i could list all of them. he needs to build up his explosiveness more to really capitalize on some of these plays, but his anticipation is so good that it helps him play faster than he is
  • squires was excellent at getting cycles going/keeping play alive today. quick to loose pucks, composed under pressure, competitive, great with his defensive stick placement/stick checks, smart with his puck movement. never afraid to send it down low/around the boards to a teammate to regroup. so many of his shifts were just constant zone pressure
  • hes showing some higher intensity forechecking/effort in puck battles as well. stick work has always been good but its more aggressive/proactively challenging possession now. also finishing checks a little harder
  • higher motor not as evident defensively. still engaged/positionally focused, but he'll cheat for chances and not show the same earnestness fighting for pucks. doesnt always let breakout attempts reach him before he starts moving up
  • took a bit of an undisciplined penalty late in the 3rd with MON starting to roll. thankfully wasnt punished for it. took a rough shot not long before and seemed pissed at the refs for not calling it, so im sure thats what led to it. i like the fire, just dont channel it like that lol
  • should note, cape breton is basically using him wherever and whenever they can: played both wings, took a bunch of draws, defended the lead late, shifted on the PK (no PP opportunities)
  • 2-2-4 on 5 CB goals (last was an ENG) and generated a bunch of chances. dont think he was out there for a goal against. looked good all game
his playmaking progression the last year and a half has been intriguing. it was pretty vanilla in his DY, opened up more his D+1 (crisper puck movement, quicker decisions, longer stretch passes, etc.), and with this latest stretch i think hes shown way more creativity/willingness to challenge high danger opportunities (one touch plays in transition, cross zone seam passes, varying his own speed to find lanes and not just attack the net head on, etc.). his one preseason game showed a lot of good in this regard. now in saying that, i think hes messing up more/getting a little too cute at times, but to me thats just a byproduct of experimentation. im sure itll clean up over the year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad