Management Cam Neely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
If Cam finds a friggin' radio interview "painful" he must do a wiz bang job with player agents and contract negotiations.

"This is to painful, just give him the ****ing no trade clause."

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
And...you still didn't answer the question. If Cam is the root of all evil at TD Banknorth Garden, then isn't it a good thing he's on the hot-seat over sponsors?

Looking at it from the outside yes.

But in the end it all depends on what Papa Jacobs thinks. The real crunch will come in March when the STH renewals go out. A good number have to be on the fence at this point. A big win against Montreal on Sunday could keep a few from jumping ship.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Looking at it from the outside yes.

But in the end it all depends on what Papa Jacobs thinks. The real crunch will come in March when the STH renewals go out. A good number have to be on the fence at this point. A big win against Montreal on Sunday could keep a few from jumping ship.

Murphy did a great job and it's 'painful' to realize what Cam has done.

Heidi Holland looks like she was more into shielding Cam than doing what's right

Not surprised where Matt Chmura stood here

Cam after his interview and Murphy's which I'm buying needs to go

This will be fascinating to watch play out

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Are you people for real saying that he's drunk. Get a grip. You want to be taken seriously and you come with this ****. I thought we were better than that here. I get being upset, but some of the stuff being posted here lately is absurd.

Thank you

It is not cool .

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

I am not a fan of Cam Neely as president and could probably get with the #notmypresident movement but I actually disagree with this writer Buckley. What does Cam being tough as a player have to do with him having to attend a press conference 20+ years later. Or if he wasn't a tough player then it is okay for him to not be at the press conference? It doesn't make sense.

I am sure I am dramatically over simplifying the Bruins chain of command but the chain of command is that Julien's immediate report or supervisor if you will is Sweeney. So it primarily should be Sweeney deciding and initiating the decision to fire Julien. Cam okayed it but ultimately it should be Sweeney's call and if Sweeney decided to fire him and is the guy primarily responsible for the head coach position than it should be him speaking to the media about it, not the president.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The problem is that's their flagship radio station so probably not.

Felger made a very good point though in that if Neely was there more regularly there wouldn't be so much stored up frustrations. Hell one of the last times he was on they just giggled for a few minutes and ran out of questions because the team was winning.

It comes down to Neely's attitude and approach in these interviews. He simply isn't up for that job. He's not a good front man, he's not doing well in terms of delegating authority and making that clear to people, and most importantly they haven't been improving as an organization since he took that job. He is quite simply, and I think clearly, not up for that job. They should transition him to something that might suit him better and bring in someone more qualified.

I mean some people hated Lucchino and Sinden around these parts when they were Presidents, possibly rightly so, but they could at least navigate interviews. They knew how to use the press to their advantage, and that's a big issue here. The Bruins should look at those interviews as an opportunity to spread their message, whatever it is, rather than as a "painful" chore. His perspective is completely backwards.

I don't know why Joe is so hung up on his point about "Hockey Prez" or "NHL GM"s doing a weekly radio show, because that's not the point. Who cares what happens in Nashville or Tampa. Those aren't sports towns or sports talk towns.

What happens in Boston?

Ainge does a weekly appearance and goes on the other rival station from time to time. Brad Stevens does a weekly appearance. Wyck Grosbeck does a fairly regular appearance.

Belichick does a weekly appearance and Jonathan Kraft does a weekly appearance.

Lucchino did a weekly appearance and Bobby Valentine did a weekly appearance. Dombrowski does a weekly appearance, Farrell I know does a game day appearance, I don't know if he does a weekly interview. John Henry has appeared in studio for interviews on both stations.

That's the field to compare Neely, Sweeney and Jacobs with. Whether Anaheim has a radio show with their GM is meaningless to me. In this town, with this group of fans, it's fair to say that you should be upfront and answer their concerns now and then. It's clear the Bruins don't feel they have to. That's fine, that's their choice, but then don't complain when/if the team misses the playoffs again and the rebuild begins that your team is off the map like it was for 20 years.

They worked helluva hard to get their presence back in the market and someone from that team should be making sure it stays there, not shrinking from it because they don't like being treated by big meanies like Michael Felger.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I have already said multiple times I think Neely should have been at the press conference.

However, I'm not a big fan of Buckley. The only time I ever see him commenting on the B's is when he takes them to task for something. Also, he does a **** poor job of explaining why he feels Neely should be at a press conference like Tuesdays, but it would be OK for Sam Kennedy to not be at a similar one for the Sox (they should both be at a press conference firing the coach).

Felger sucks.
Murphy is a hack.
I don't like Buckley.

Fenway already posted that he had the same info as Murphy from a source inside the team. Instead of responding to that actual information you jumped on something Murphy wrote 8 years ago. The issue isn't what Murphy wrote 8 years ago. It's the current piece of info that is being reported by other sources.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So trying to put together a timeline so it all makes sense.

Sometime between the end of the Toronto game on Saturday, and the end of the day Monday, the decision is made by the management group and ownership to fire Julien.

Can't do it Sunday or Monday because all the players are off so they say.

Matt C., the PR guy, advises making the announcement at 4 PM on Tuesday after the SB parade is over.

Heidi Holland, a old PR crony of the Sinden/MOC era who has weaseled her way back into a position of influence, advises the opposite, and says it's best to make the announcement when the parade starts to deflect away negativity.

Cam Neely agrees, and orders Don Sweeney to make the announcement Tuesday morning at 8 AM and schedule the presser to begin during the parade and not after.

Two key sponsors get wind of this, and as they are also business partners of the Patriots, get very upset at how this is being handled, and threaten to pull out as sponsors. Dunkin Donuts, does not want their logo used as part of the back-drop while Sweeney has his presser.

Don does his presser alone.

Cam and Charlie Jr. are hastily trying to win back the two major sponsors who shell out big time bucks for the promotion of their respective brands. I have no idea if they were successful winning the sponsors back.

Sound about right?

And you know what is funny. This Heidi Holland person, whose ****poor advice that 99% of people acknowledge totally back-fired and made the Bruins look worse not better, and may have or almost cost the Bruins two of their major sponsors and thus millions of dollars in revenue, will likely still be in a position of influence when this is all said and done, with this management group and ownership believing this was all handled the right way.

When in reality, a PR blunder of this magnitude she should be shown the door.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Nobody hates doing a weekly show more than Bill Belichick but he does it. The Krafts dangle these media ops to in return get the Revolution excellent media exposure in Boston.

Cam by not being with Sweeney on Tuesday was sending a message that this is all on Sweeney and not ownership. That may not have been the intention but it was the perception.

Is a weekly show needed? No but you can't go 2/3rds of the season without making any media appearances either. Cam and Don won't even go on team owned NESN between periods. That has to change.

I think the main problem is they know what the questions will be and they don't have the answers at this time.

When Joe Morgan was fired after the 1990 season he famously said "They are about to find out that the team isn't as good as they think it is." and he was proven correct.

I don't know why Joe is so hung up on his point about "Hockey Prez" or "NHL GM"s doing a weekly radio show, because that's not the point. Who cares what happens in Nashville or Tampa. Those aren't sports towns or sports talk towns.

What happens in Boston?

Ainge does a weekly appearance and goes on the other rival station from time to time. Brad Stevens does a weekly appearance. Wyck Grosbeck does a fairly regular appearance.

Lucchino did a weekly appearance and Bobby Valentine did a weekly appearance. Dombrowski does a weekly appearance, Farrell I know does a game day appearance, I don't know if he does a weekly interview. John Henry has appeared in studio for interviews on both stations.

That's the field to compare Neely, Sweeney and Jacobs with. Whether Anaheim has a radio show with their GM is meaningless to me. In this town, with this group of fans, it's fair to say that you should be upfront and answer their concerns now and then. It's clear the Bruins don't feel they have to. That's fine, that's their choice, but then don't complain when/if the team misses the playoffs again and the rebuild begins that your team is off the map like it was for 20 years.

They worked helluva hard to get their presence back in the market and someone from that team should be making sure it stays there, not shrinking from it because they don't like being treated by big meanies like Michael Felger.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Nobody hates doing a weekly show more than Bill Belichick but he does it. The Krafts dangle these media ops to in return get the Revolution excellent media exposure in Boston.

Cam by not being with Sweeney on Tuesday was sending a message that this is all on Sweeney and not ownership. That may not have been the intention but it was the perception.

Is a weekly show needed? No but you can't go 2/3rds of the season without making any media appearances either. Cam and Don won't even go on team owned NESN between periods. That has to change.

I think the main problem is they know what the questions will be and they don't have the answers at this time.

When Joe Morgan was fired after the 1990 season he famously said "They are about to find out that the team isn't as good as they think it is." and he was proven correct.

Just read in a paper the other day that Knicks GM Phil Jackson hasn't addressed the media since September. In New York. And the Knicks are a bigger mess than the B's.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just read in a paper the other day that Knicks GM Phil Jackson hasn't addressed the media since September. In New York. And the Knicks are a bigger mess than the B's.

The Knicks and Rangers are owned by the same family - The Dolans.

Jimmy Dolan meddles constantly with the Knicks and they are a mess. Dolan has no interest in hockey and just lets hockey ops do what it wants and while winning the Cup has been elusive for them the team has been in the hunt.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Rip Felger and Mazz all you want...maybe they deserve it. But I thought that interview was entirely appropriate and well executed. They asked every question I would have asked in much the same tone. I thought they did quite well.

Agreed. They did their jobs. Nothing would have been worse than them getting intimidated by surly Cam Neely and them trying to be buddy buddies. They asked the questions that needed to be asked.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Felger sucks.
Murphy is a hack.
I don't like Buckley.

Fenway already posted that he had the same info as Murphy from a source inside the team. Instead of responding to that actual information you jumped on something Murphy wrote 8 years ago. The issue isn't what Murphy wrote 8 years ago. It's the current piece of info that is being reported by other sources.

Fenway said that may here consider Murphy a hack but that TSN trusts him. As far as I could tell he was using Murphy as confirmation for what he had heard. I posted what Murphy said 8 years ago because for me, that type of BS has no statute of limitations and I will never find the guy credible.

That was my one and only point.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
In listening to the Neely interview again one thing leaps out. They asked him several times if he had the power to overrule Sweeney concerning Julien and he tried to deflect answering the question directly before admitting that he does have veto power.

If you look at the timeline the time the team should have done it was Monday afternoon. The Red Sox had their Truck Day nonsense on Monday and then the Patriots were in the air for 3 hours coming back from Houston.

Here is what NONE of us know. How much pressure are Cam and Don under to make the playoffs this year? Even getting blown out in 4 games by Washington the team would generate millions in ticket and NESN revenue and we all know Jacobs has always been a bottom line owner.

:popcorn:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

What happens in Boston?

I'm not hung up on anything. I was merely pointing out that in this country, very few guys (if any) in Neely's position do weekly appearances. In addition, public speaking doesn't appear to be one of Cam's strengths, so if you are the B's do you really want him being the company mouthpiece.

As far as the other GM's in the town, the sports are different, as are most of the circumstances. Are any of those other Coaches/Execs interviewed by someone as adversarial as Felger?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
In listening to the Neely interview again one thing leaps out. They asked him several times if he had the power to overrule Sweeney concerning Julien and he tried to deflect answering the question directly before admitting that he does have veto power.

If you look at the timeline the time the team should have done it was Monday afternoon. The Red Sox had their Truck Day nonsense on Monday and then the Patriots were in the air for 3 hours coming back from Houston.

Here is what NONE of us know. How much pressure are Cam and Don under to make the playoffs this year? Even getting blown out in 4 games by Washington the team would generate millions in ticket and NESN revenue and we all know Jacobs has always been a bottom line owner.

:popcorn:

So, after listening to it again, do you still think he was drunk?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fenway said that may here consider Murphy a hack but that TSN trusts him. As far as I could tell he was using Murphy as confirmation for what he had heard. I posted what Murphy said 8 years ago because for me, that type of BS has no statute of limitations and I will never find the guy credible.

That was my one and only point.

And my counterpoint is what if Murphy was fed wrong info deliberately back then? The Bruins have used that tactic for decades. The Bruins are very liberal in granting media access to Level 9 and the dressing room compared to other NHL clubs. No team in the NHL feeds the media better.

The late Carl Beane ( hard to believe we lost him 5 years ago ) was best known for being the Fenway PA announcer but his main source of income during the winter was getting soundbites at Bruins and Celtics games. He taught me the politics of Level 9 during Bruins games. In the end when the Bruins want to break a major story they will use Canadian media first and Boston second. That goes back at least 40 years when Harry Sinden would feed Frank Orr in Toronto and Red Fisher in Montreal.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So, after listening to it again, do you still think he was drunk?

I am not alone in thinking Cam may have had a couple of pops before going on the air.

I do think Cam was terrified of doing that interview and that isn't the Cam Neely we all came to know.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
And my counterpoint is what if Murphy was fed wrong info deliberately back then? The Bruins have used that tactic for decades. The Bruins are very liberal in granting media access to Level 9 and the dressing room compared to other NHL clubs. No team in the NHL feeds the media better.

The late Carl Beane ( hard to believe we lost him 5 years ago ) was best known for being the Fenway PA announcer but his main source of income during the winter was getting soundbites at Bruins and Celtics games. He taught me the politics of Level 9 during Bruins games. In the end when the Bruins want to break a major story they will use Canadian media first and Boston second. That goes back at least 40 years when Harry Sinden would feed Frank Orr in Toronto and Red Fisher in Montreal.

Pretty cool story about feeding the Canadian media first and Level 9 politics .I like hearing these stories about the inside stuff most here have no access to.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I'm not hung up on anything. I was merely pointing out that in this country, very few guys (if any) in Neely's position do weekly appearances. In addition, public speaking doesn't appear to be one of Cam's strengths, so if you are the B's do you really want him being the company mouthpiece.

As far as the other GM's in the town, the sports are different, as are most of the circumstances. Are any of those other Coaches/Execs interviewed by someone as adversarial as Felger?

1) Unless you've gone and checked for every USA hockey gm's appearances,you don't know that they don't appear regularly.

2) Even if it's true that others don't, you are assuming that the reason is that the GM's don't want to do it, rather than looking at it the other and more logical way: the radio stations don't want to do it because there is not enough interest.

3) Again, what other NHL gm's do is completely irrelevant. Cam isn't in the Columbus market. He's in the Boston market and the standards for the fanbase here and the media here is what he's held to, not the standards of the Sunrise, Florida market. I don't understand what is so difficult to understand about that.

Why is it that the fact that the "sports" are different means a GM shouldn't answer to the fans. You're reaching to reflexively defend the front office. There's nothing "different" about hockey that suggests the GM shouldn't answer questions.

Ainge does it, Belichick does it, Dombrowski does it. Sweeney should do it but hides so that leaves Cam who isn't good at it.

4) Felger isn't adversarial at all. Minihane is a much tougher interviewer. Asking questions isn't adversarial, it's the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad