Player Discussion Cam Fowler

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Fowler with a assist on that power play goal giving him 37 points on the season which is the 3rd most points ever in a season for him. 2 more points to tie for 2nd most points in a season and 3 to tie for most points in a season.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
1649709849722.png

Cam Fowler has played way over 300 minutes since Lindholm and Manson has been gone and has recorded 1 hit.... how is that possible :laugh::laugh::laugh:

We are going to need to build our blueline from top to bottom... Fowler, Drysdale and Zel in the lineup ain't gonna work if we don't have 2-3 physical defensemen.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
View attachment 529675

Cam Fowler has played way over 300 minutes since Lindholm and Manson has been gone and has recorded 1 hit.... how is that possible :laugh::laugh::laugh:

We are going to need to build our blueline from top to bottom... Fowler, Drysdale and Zel in the lineup ain't gonna work if we don't have 2-3 physical defensemen.

We did have two physical defensemen, which allowed Fowler to do what he does best by playing more offensive. That's why I called Fowler, Lindholm, and Manson our Defensive Trinity. We needed all three at a minimum to be successful b/c we're talking top-4 talent outside of them. Shatty is the perfect bottom-pairing defensemen for the time being.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fowler is 1 point away from hitting 40 points tying his record since his rookie season. In my opinion, a 40 point D man is like sorta having another 60 point Forward. He is not a physical player, never was, this is why he plays his best with a physical D like a Manson, Hakanpaa, or Gudbrandson.

Fowler is a very solid #2/#3 D, and could handle top pairing mins if he had a partner who could handle the physical aspect of the game. As I said the key to this summer, not just get Forward support but to get physical D who can be ideal for Fowler and Drysdale. Although I am curious how Vaak - Drysdale will pan out. They have looked good so far in the 2 games they have been together.

Reactions: Hey234 and Static

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
The Fowler takes on the recent Ducks Nation Facebook post are so cringe worthy
The only good one was "The dude is playing more minutes than he ever has with no help."

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
And I wasn't saying he is a physical player..... I'm saying he has to literally be avoiding anything physical and only be using his stick which is not a good thing.... It's probably because he's being over used and is completely dead half the time. The only way a defensemen has 1 total hit since we traded our best 2 defensive defensemen is because he is completely avoiding anything physical.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Unless Terry was communicating with Fowler to challenge the shooter on that OT goal last night, you gotta feel bad for Cam having no support in that scenario.

Regarding the lack of hitting, I don't see it as an issue with him in particular. The dude is too busy chasing down Shattenkirk's misplays.

Cam is having a tremendous season. His best in years. I just hope he can recover in the offseason and bring the same game next year. He's getting older, so it won't be as easy.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Because people want him to be some big bruising hitting defenseman, even though he’s never been that m, but that’s a problem with certain people.

Some people expect every player to be everything as opposed to being one part of the puzzle. Fowler gets dinged b/c he isn't a physical defenseman. Lindholm gets dinged b/c he's not a high scoring defenseman.

On this board, it's been Fowler vs Lindholm as it's best defenseman, but people take to the extreme and believe each player gets hate instead of preference. I prefer Lindholm's physical defense, puck battle wins, and transition game b/c better chances to win a close game than a shootout.

Lindholm is underrated than Fowler on this board and mass media b/c he doesn't score a lot of points. An example of this is on this board many prefer Chychrun over Lindholm despite their career ppg rate are similar. Lindholm can be paired with almost any defenseman save Fowler. Fowler needs a stay-at-home D to be most effective. That's what makes Lindholm more valuable. Fowler is mostly offense and Lindholm does like joining the offense, but therein lies the problem - they'll both pinch and leave the blue line unprotected. They both expect their counterpart to be the supporting D, which is why they can't be on the same pair.

Yet, having only one of them on the ice isn't going to help dominate the game. We need a mix of a Fowler, a Manson, and a Lindholm until we can find other talents to easy the burdens. Lindholm's pairing will work you over shut you down and then the Fowler pairing will score on you. Now, it's just Fowler and it's affected his PP game. Missing Lindholm and Manson affected the PK along with the PP, apparently, b/c Fowler is working so much more now.

We need two physical defensive defenseman this off-season to have a similar set up as this season so Fowler can be at his optimum. One to take the brunt of the heavy work on a different pair and one to do the dirty work as Fowler's counterpart. I love me a scoring Fowler.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We need two physical defensive defenseman this off-season to have a similar set up as this season so Fowler can be at his optimum. One to take the brunt of the heavy work on a different pair and one to do the dirty work as Fowler's counterpart. I love me a scoring Fowler.

I read your entire post but this last part stood out to me. This is what will get the Top 4D back to above average play, and if Drysdale takes the next step, already showing signs of that, it’s gonna be a lot less painful than we think next season.

But yeah you hit the nail on the head. Need two physical guys who can do the dirty work, take some mins away from Fowler like on the PK, and let him play his game. If the PP can be good again next season and get some support, I don’t see how Fowler cannot have another 40 point season.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
And I wasn't saying he is a physical player..... I'm saying he has to literally be avoiding anything physical and only be using his stick which is not a good thing.... It's probably because he's being over used and is completely dead half the time. The only way a defensemen has 1 total hit since we traded our best 2 defensive defensemen is because he is completely avoiding anything physical.
At this point of the season, he’s carrying accumulated wear/tear/injuries, he’s been carrying a ludicrous load this season because of Lindholm being sheltered because of Drysdale, and he’s 30. He’s the defense right now. Physical play is going to degrade his play even more than his partners do.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
At this point of the season, he’s carrying accumulated wear/tear/injuries, he’s been carrying a ludicrous load this season because of Lindholm being sheltered because of Drysdale, and he’s 30. He’s the defense right now. Physical play is going to degrade his play even more than his partners do.

I accept Fowler for what he is, an offensive defenseman. Hitting, getting gritty, puck battles in the corner isn't Fowler's thing or forte for that matter. Fowler's always had a physical defenseman in his years here to do that for him like Manson, Gudbranson, Hakanpaa, and Sustr.

I wouldn't say Fowler is avoiding any physical contact. It's more like his play is that of an offensive defenseman who would rather use his skates to get to the puck and disrupt the flow of traffic. Being physical isn't his game and it's also not the best use of his talents as an offensive defenseman.

We know who Fowler is. Losing Manson and Lindholm shows that Fowler is reliant on having a physical partner to be at his best offensively. I accept Fowler for who he is. It's not Fowler's fault that Lindholm and Manson were traded away. At least we know what our GM can do to make Fowler more effective again. The bigger question is will Verbeek make that move?

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Fowler gets crapped on here like no other. Holy shit
Fowler hardly gets crapped on lol…. If anything he’s gets too much praise.

Unless we’re counting someone criticizing his physical play, then sure he gets crapped on but that’s more factual than anything

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Fowler hardly gets crapped on lol…. If anything he’s gets too much praise.

Unless we’re counting someone criticizing his physical play, then sure he gets crapped on but that’s more factual than anything

What? Hardly. For most of his ducks career and up until pretty recently, Fowler got a disproportionate amount of hate around here. It’s kind of weird that you wouldn’t have noticed that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad