Rumor: Cam Fowler potentially available, Gibson, too

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Late to the party but Fowler is being paid more in real dolars than his AAV which may make an impact to some teams.

I could see a Fowler $1.5m retained for Timothy Liljegren trade being useful for both teams. Fowler was born in Ontario so might be interested and would be a significant upgrade for the Leafs, whilst the Ducks get a young guy with something to prove and would get a chance to do so. At present the Ducks only have Gudas as a RHD on the roster.

Rielly/Tanev
Fowler/McCabe
OEL/Benoit

Would be an improvement to now.
Just to be clear, the Ducks retain 1.5 so the difference between Liligren and Fowler cap would be 500k.

Why would the Ducks downgrade to save 500k when they have the most cap space in the league?

If they trade Fowler it should be because it will make the team better. Either by getting picks/prospects that will make them better in the long term, or get a better fit stylistically to play with Mintyukov and Zellweger on the right side.

Liljegren is neither.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
A couple of questions:
1. Why would either Fowler or Gibson waive to go to the Sharks?
2. Why would San Jose want either player?
I'm not saying that they would but it's an assumption for the purposes of gauging trade value. Gibson could legitimately start in San Jose and if he's slated to be the backup because Dostal has outplayed him then that seems reasonable. Fowler is an even bigger assumption but San Jose would be one of the closest handful of teams from the area his professional career allowed him to build roots and some players have made similar choices like Rob Blake did when he went to the Sharks.

As for why San Jose would want them, I think that's a pretty easy question to answer. Fowler would be their best defenseman and his contract doesn't run past the ELC's of Celebrini and Smith. Gibson is a veteran NHL goalie that also doesn't have term past the ELC's of Celebrini and Smith and brings a more legitimate veteran presence to the organization to help Askarov along. Gibson is better than either Blackwood or Vanecek. The Sharks are still bad and will probably still draft top five in next year's draft but they're trying to be competitive. These two make them a much better competitive team.
The Ducks have the most cap space in the league. In fact if they made that trade with Blackwood or Vanecek coming back the Ducks would be like 7 mil under the cap floor. So "given the cap hits and terms they are losing" is not even close to the most important thing, especially with Fowler.

Also not sure why SJ would want either of those guys. It doesnt seem like a good fit for the window.
I asked because I wanted to gauge what Anaheim's looking for in a trade more than anything else. I don't know what their priorities and cap situation and all that looks like so I figured I'd try to leave it open-ended but it was sloppily worded. The Sharks do have other contracts that can be returned that helps with reaching the floor as well as figuring out what the value looks like if you retained what makes sense on either Fowler or Gibson to have the money make sense.

The Sharks moving forward are going to try and make trades that improve their ability to compete. Yes, this year is seemingly a development season but Gibson is a veteran NHL goalie that can be very useful to someone like Askarov on his way up and Fowler would easily be their best defenseman. If the Sharks have an opportunity to add at least a legitimate top pairing defenseman, they need to at least figure out the cost. The Sharks have a lot of flexibility with their cap sheet and contracts and they're trying to get better.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Just to be clear, the Ducks retain 1.5 so the difference between Liligren and Fowler cap would be 500k.

Why would the Ducks downgrade to save 500k when they have the most cap space in the league?

If they trade Fowler it should be because it will make the team better. Either by getting picks/prospects that will make them better in the long term, or get a better fit stylistically to play with Mintyukov and Zellweger on the right side.

Liljegren is neither.

Young RHD have a lot of value. Liljegren seems like a player who just needs to get out of that environment and given a low-key opportunity. The same happened with Sandin and he's now a solid top 4 D for the Caps. If Liljegren doesn't fit the style longer term, play him, get his value up and use him in a trade as he will be valuable providing he takes the chance.

He seems like a guy who could do well elsewhere. It depends on how teams see the value of Fowler.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I remember wanting to take a flyer on Gibson for the Oilers.

Then a few Ducks posters insisted several firsts would need to be attached. I insisted a cap dump that's got less term should suffice.

Nobody can agree on value for Gibson. Nothing indicates he's anymore than a cap dump, yet Ducks fans insist he still has great value and would be elite on a contender.
Was the phrase “not without an overpay” ever bandied about during this interaction?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
fowler should have been traded a while a while ago

that being said i think the wings make sense, especially if ducks are willing to take back a contract
This, I think both should have been Jettisoned 3 years ago.

About the only thing going for the Ducks is likely a ton of cap space to take back contracts in.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Young RHD have a lot of value. Liljegren seems like a player who just needs to get out of that environment and given a low-key opportunity. The same happened with Sandin and he's now a solid top 4 D for the Caps. If Liljegren doesn't fit the style longer term, play him, get his value up and use him in a trade as he will be valuable providing he takes the chance.

He seems like a guy who could do well elsewhere. It depends on how teams see the value of Fowler.
Or, OR, they could trade Fowler who is already a 40 point top 4 defensemen for a good return you hope Lilejgren might return IF he takes a step.

Fowler is a solid #3 on a good team. He should be valued as such.

He isn't overpaid at all either. If the Ducks retain 1.5 mil he should get a good return, not a reclamation project. At 50% Fowler would be a steal for 2 playoffs.

Reactions: lwvs84

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Or, OR, they could trade Fowler who is already a 40 point top 4 defensemen for a good return you hope Lilejgren might return IF he takes a step.

Fowler is a solid #3 on a good team. He should be valued as such.

He isn't overpaid at all either. If the Ducks retain 1.5 mil he should get a good return, not a reclamation project. At 50% Fowler would be a steal for 2 playoffs.
Would love him on the nucks. Not just because he is really good and Quinn, Him and Soucy would be one hell of a left-side but it keeps him away from another team we might end up facing.

This would be a likely trade either at the deadline but let's say Forbort isn't working out and given the fact our GM and president are not shy about trades a deal could go down anytime assuming the ducks were willing to help precipitate a deal in November/ December for example and we're ok with taking back Poolman 2.5 million expiring LTIR contract and retain 50% I think a fair deal could be reached.

A 2027 2nd for retaining and a 2025 1st and a 3rd that turns into a 2nd 2026 if the nucks reach the conference finals?

I have no idea what Cams value is (so go easy 🙃) is that fair a 1st and a 1st 2nd and a 3rd, (possible two 2nds) seems fair or are the ducks looking for prospects which in that case I dont think we make a good fit.

Lekkerimakki and Willander won't be traded and while other nuck fans might move Raty or D+ Petey, we need as many ELC's going forward and I'm a big fan of the two latter, while the two former are a big part of the future.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Gibson: IMO, Anaheim waited waaaay to long before taking action, I can't see them getting anything of value for him

Fowler: This dude could bring back good assets if he has a solid season. If I'm Anaheim, I'm trading him at the TDL to the highest bidder

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
I do recall him missing a bunch of games when he got that puck to the face that caused a fracture. But other than that he's been remarkably durable over his career. And I would never consider that sort of injury to be anything other than a freak thing. Considering how many minutes he plays his durability has been very impressive.
He also took a cheapshot to the knee which is not some recurring weakness, just a one off flying knee from Giordano.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I was one of those Ducks fans and I will tell you circumstances have changed.

Gibson was the only elite level player on the Ducks even up until the covid year in 2020-2021. They started that year 5-4-3. In the 5 wins he gave up a total of 3 goals. The Ducks basically should have started that year without a regulation win through the first 20ish games but Gibson stood on his head.

Since then he has basically not cared. He will have stretches (especially to start the season) where he plays like a stud, but then goes back to not caring.

So ya, in 2021 there was no reason for the Ducks to dump him when the hope was he would return to consistently being that guy. Now, not so much. Especially with Dostal able to take the reigns.

I still think he would be elite on a contender, but the downside of trading him is much smaller for the Ducks now compared to 3 years ago. It is clear he will not be that guy again on the Ducks.
You can't soar like an Eagle if you're running with turkeys... or ducks at the moment.

Ask a 1st, a young blue chip roster player with potential and maybe another pick and send him the other way. That's the value of his potential because that's all you can value at this point from 31 year old whose a sub 900 netminder without Vezinas.

Oilers need to target this man. This might be the diamond in the rough they need.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Gibson: IMO, Anaheim waited waaaay to long before taking action, I can't see them getting anything of value for him

Fowler: This dude could bring back good assets if he has a solid season. If I'm Anaheim, I'm trading him at the TDL to the highest bidder
Almost makes no sense for Ducks to trade Gibson now. Fowler will bring back some assets.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Yep I’d be aiming at
1st + 2nd quality + taking back cap.

Retention and more cap dumps increase value, but also seems like a situation where cam could make it pretty hard on Anaheim
He is under contract and the Ducks have no dreams of the playoffs this year. Not sure what leverage he has. Go ahead and sit. Enjoy losing millions while the Ducks basically play with the roster they will have once they trade you.

Nurse, 1st, 2nd, top prospect, whatever else is needed.
That requires you to have a 1st and a top prospect.

Seriously though, it isn't a good fit. There is no realistic overpayment that would make the Ducks take on that contract.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Now THAT would be shocking. He better be willing to just waive his NTC then. The Ducks better not let him strong arm them into sending him where he wants for a shit return.

Let him sit if he doesn't want to waive.
If he wanted out, he should have made that clear at the conclusion of the season. He and Gibson are the final guys left of their 2017 WCF team. Goes for both sides as the Ducks have young Dmen that they need vets to help play with them. Best to get someone who wants to be there or at the very least, content on being there. Something rebuilding clubs need to ask their higher priced vets. Are they happy being on a rebuilding club or should the club aim to move them.

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
Trading Gibson only makes sense if A) he has a bounceback season and recovers value or B) one of our goalie prospects makes a huge leap and essentially forces him out.

A seems more likely but we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad