Rumor: Cam Fowler potentially available, Gibson, too

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Given their injury history, and the fact they're now on the wrong side of 30, it's 'buyer beware' for NHL teams interested in acquiring them. But rest assured, some team unhappy with the state of their blueline and their goaltending, will dramatically 'overpay' and live to regret it.
Fowler has missed 19 games in the last 5 seasons. What injury history?

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Fowler would likely pair well with Darrell Nurse but no idea how the Oilers would swing that. Nurse needs someone that allows him to concentrate on defence a little more because being a jack of all trades spreads him too thin at everything.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Fowler would likely pair well with Darrell Nurse but no idea how the Oilers would swing that. Nurse needs someone that allows him to concentrate on defence a little more because being a jack of all trades spreads him too thin at everything.
Do Darnell and Darrell have another brother named Darrell

Makes sense now

Reactions: Chet Manley

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Fowler played RD back when the Ducks were good but is he really good at it?

We heard Ekholm played both sides but we found that he was better on the left and losing that little bit didn't seem worth it.

Idk maybe we can't be choosy

We could make that deal work if they did retention.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
From what I’ve heard this weekend, nobody has approached Cam since his yearly conversation before the draft every year, where he once again said he wanted to stay in Anaheim.

If the Ducks are shopping him, he didn’t initiate it, and would be surprised if they approach him anytime before the trade deadline. Even if it’s to 1 of his 4 approved teams. Just as they’ve done both of the last two years, and then again before the draft. Every time he’s said he has no interest in moving.

One thing that’s new maybe? Good bet he’ll say it’s time to move on, if he’s asked again (at the deadline) and the Ducks are still at the bottom of the standings. He won’t just say yes to any teams though. His list will be pretty small, if he expands the 4 teams.

Bottom line though, right now, if Anaheim wanted to, they could still trade him to 1 of his 4 approved teams, and not ask his permission. It’s pro sports and it happens.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Fowler has missed 19 games in the last 5 seasons. What injury history?
Might help or you to go go back and check Hockey DB....all you really have to do is 'click' on to it. From the 2017-18 season through the 2020-21 season, Fowler played 59 games; 59 games and 56 games.

Since I'm assuming that the Ducks play an 82-game schedule like everybody else, that means he missed at least 22 games with injuries during the prime of his career. I'll say it again.....he's a serious 'post 30 regression candidate.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Fowler played RD back when the Ducks were good but is he really good at it?

We heard Ekholm played both sides but we found that he was better on the left and losing that little bit didn't seem worth it.

Idk maybe we can't be choosy

We could make that deal work if they did retention.
Just remembered him playing the right side and still skating/passing really well. But I haven't paid alot of attention to Ducks' players the past few years. So yeah maybe it's a bit much to expect him to play the RD and be the breakout guy that's paired with Darrell... umm Darnell.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Might help or you to go go back and check Hockey DB....all you really have to do is 'click' on to it. From the 2017-18 season through the 2020-21 season, Fowler played 59 games; 59 games and 56 games.

Since I'm assuming that the Ducks play an 82-game schedule like everybody else, that means he missed at least 22 games with injuries during the prime of his career. I'll say it again.....he's a serious 'post 30 regression candidate.
You actually may want to double-check that 82-game schedule from the 19-20 and 20-21 seasons. Not that I don’t get trying to memory-hole the covid years, but come on.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Doesn't Fowler have something like 15 games to go to get to 1k, all only with the Ducks (less than 20 anyway)? He's not going anywhere until that's hit in a month or two. After that, & depending on how all the very young D core is doing, 'then' I could see it if he wants to go.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Doesn't Fowler have something like 15 games to go to get to 1k, all only with the Ducks (less than 20 anyway)? He's not going anywhere until that's hit in a month or two. After that, & depending on how all the very young D core is doing, 'then' I could see it if he wants to go.

He's at 974 career regular season games, would hit 1000 in early December barring injuries.

Reactions: anezthes and Rec T

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

I know math is hard so I will walk you through this.
Fowler has missed 19 games in the last 5 seasons.

Let focus on the second number for now. 5. Lets count down from 5 from this last season. Are you ready?

1 - 2023-2024
2 - 2022-2023
3 - 2021-2022
4 - 2020-2021
5 - 2019-2020

Now lets look at the first number. 19. Lets add up all the games missed in those 5 seasons and see what we get!

2023-2024: 1
2022-2023: 0
2021-2022: 6
2020-2021: 0
2019-2020: 12

1+0+6+0+12

19!

I'll say it again. What injury history?

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I remember wanting to take a flyer on Gibson for the Oilers.

Then a few Ducks posters insisted several firsts would need to be attached. I insisted a cap dump that's got less term should suffice.

Nobody can agree on value for Gibson. Nothing indicates he's anymore than a cap dump, yet Ducks fans insist he still has great value and would be elite on a contender.

Reactions: VeteranPresence

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
I remember wanting to take a flyer on Gibson for the Oilers.

Then a few Ducks posters insisted several firsts would need to be attached. I insisted a cap dump that's got less term should suffice.

Nobody can agree on value for Gibson. Nothing indicates he's anymore than a cap dump, yet Ducks fans insist he still has great value and would be elite on a contender.
I was one of those Ducks fans and I will tell you circumstances have changed.

Gibson was the only elite level player on the Ducks even up until the covid year in 2020-2021. They started that year 5-4-3. In the 5 wins he gave up a total of 3 goals. The Ducks basically should have started that year without a regulation win through the first 20ish games but Gibson stood on his head.

Since then he has basically not cared. He will have stretches (especially to start the season) where he plays like a stud, but then goes back to not caring.

So ya, in 2021 there was no reason for the Ducks to dump him when the hope was he would return to consistently being that guy. Now, not so much. Especially with Dostal able to take the reigns.

I still think he would be elite on a contender, but the downside of trading him is much smaller for the Ducks now compared to 3 years ago. It is clear he will not be that guy again on the Ducks.

Reactions: Czechboy and Rec T

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Part of the problem is that his downsides have and still mean less to the ducks then to the teams that would try to trade for him. His cap hit isn't an issue for the ducks, and it is actively helping them hit the cap floor. His struggles behind the team would also likely be experienced by any goaltender the ducks put in that position.

So while to most teams he would be an obvious cap dump with upside, he isn't quite that to the ducks. There is still enough term left that retention is a tricky subject, and getting 3 years of it on a player is still going to cost.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If Gibson starts the year strong, there may be suitors, if Anaheim is willing to eat some contract. I full-heartedly believe that he can still play, and that motivation has been an issue with him, but the results haven't been there for awhile now, and teams don't like to take a chance on large cap hits on underperforming goalies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If the Sharks were willing to take both Fowler and Gibson off the Ducks w/o retention assuming they'd go to San Jose (which is obviously a big assumption) and all the Sharks need to send back to Anaheim for cap purposes is either Blackwood or Vanecek, what would need to be added to make it acceptable for Anaheim given the cap hits and terms that they're losing?

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If the Sharks were willing to take both Fowler and Gibson off the Ducks w/o retention assuming they'd go to San Jose (which is obviously a big assumption) and all the Sharks need to send back to Anaheim for cap purposes is either Blackwood or Vanecek, what would need to be added to make it acceptable for Anaheim given the cap hits and terms that they're losing?
A couple of questions:
1. Why would either Fowler or Gibson waive to go to the Sharks?
2. Why would San Jose want either player?

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
The Ducks have the most cap space in the league. In fact if they made that trade with Blackwood or Vanecek coming back the Ducks would be like 7 mil under the cap floor. So "given the cap hits and terms they are losing" is not even close to the most important thing, especially with Fowler.

Also not sure why SJ would want either of those guys. It doesnt seem like a good fit for the window.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Developing their young D isn't just about giving them ice time. Also pairing them with good partners. If they were planning on moving Fowler, it should have been done earlier so that they could go and obtain another veteran.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
Late to the party but Fowler is being paid more in real dolars than his AAV which may make an impact to some teams.

I could see a Fowler $1.5m retained for Timothy Liljegren trade being useful for both teams. Fowler was born in Ontario so might be interested and would be a significant upgrade for the Leafs, whilst the Ducks get a young guy with something to prove and would get a chance to do so. At present the Ducks only have Gudas as a RHD on the roster.

Rielly/Tanev
Fowler/McCabe
OEL/Benoit

Would be an improvement to now.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
You actually may want to double-check that 82-game schedule from the 19-20 and 20-21 seasons. Not that I don’t get trying to memory-hole the covid years, but come on.

I do recall him missing a bunch of games when he got that puck to the face that caused a fracture. But other than that he's been remarkably durable over his career. And I would never consider that sort of injury to be anything other than a freak thing. Considering how many minutes he plays his durability has been very impressive.

Reactions: Vipers31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad