Value of: Callahan at 50% retained

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Callahan goes from a full to a modified NTC this summer. The NMC just means he can’t be waived or exposed in the next expansion draft (which isn’t an issue anyway since at the earliest it could be he’ll be an impending UFA and therefore won’t require protection.)

At 50% retention he’ll be at $2.9M which is still a bit much IMO considering his offensive contributions. We’ll probably have to add something to move him.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I think he's bought out this summer.

I don't think it will happen. We should have enough room to sign everyone this summer, so we can ride out with our current roster another year. Then, in summer 2019 we have only one year of Callahan, with a modified NTC, which should be painless to move. If we do choose to buy him out that summer, then it's only a 2 year cap penalty. This summer is too early.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
In a fantasy land where Callahan would waive, he actually has a bit of value at 50% off.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
In a fantasy land where Callahan would waive, he actually has a bit of value at 50% off.
For Callahan from 2-3 years ago, sure.

I'm not sure anyone wants an oft injured, aging winger who has trouble scoring for almost $3M.

He's moveable at 50%, but I wouldn't say he has value.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Gee. What happened? Super genius Yzerman whose team missed the playoffs the past 2 years and handed out one of the dumbest contracts in recent memory can't trade that contract? :sarcasm:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If I recall his NMC changes to a limited NTC either this offseason or the next.

Also - to the guy above - 2 seasons ago we were in the ECF. We only missed last season.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gee. What happened? Super genius Yzerman whose team missed the playoffs the past 2 years and handed out one of the dumbest contracts in recent memory can't trade that contract? :sarcasm:

And still somehow wound up with a 1st place team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
For Callahan from 2-3 years ago, sure.

I'm not sure anyone wants an oft injured, aging winger who has trouble scoring for almost $3M.

He's moveable at 50%, but I wouldn't say he has value.

Callahan has shown in the past few weeks that when he's not in a fourth line role he can still put up a few points, and he remains a top tier penalty killer. Not worth 5.8m, but worth half.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

We only missed the playoffs last season; two seasons ago we were in the ECF and the one before that we were in the SCF. Perhaps you aren’t someone who should be sarcastically referring to other people as “genius”.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Even with retention, is there much left in the tank? He's played a pretty rugged style for a guy with a relatively small frame for so long, does he have much if anything left?

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Even with retention, is there much left in the tank? He's played a pretty rugged style for a guy with a relatively small frame for so long, does he have much if anything left?

He’s still a good bottom six/PK guy. Just not worth anything near what he’s being paid. He’d be worthwhile at about $1.5-2M; unfortunately even with 50% retention we can only get him down to $2.9M.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There’s been a lot of excess salt going around this forum lately, mostly from the fans of bottom feeding teams. Guess you gotta do something with the residue once those tears evaporate. Enjoy your tank!

Is that directed at me? I'm not salty, just wondering what Tampa fans think he might have left. Looking at possible destinations, "coming home" as a 2nd line or 3rd line option for the Sabres as a transition player was what I was wondering. Anyway, have a good one!

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Is that directed at me? I'm not salty, just wondering what Tampa fans think he might have left. Looking at possible destinations, "coming home" as a 2nd line or 3rd line option for the Sabres as a transition player was what I was wondering. Anyway, have a good one!

No, not you. The salty one in this thread is pretty obvious; sorry if you got the impression my post was directed at you.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad