OT: Call out to ALL HF Sens Posters - Why aren't you posting as much?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I've thought about it a little longer, and actually read through this whole thread and considered your posts.

It's funny, just a few days ago someone mentioned that I was one of the old guard and I looked up some of my first posts and was hit with a wave of nostalgia. 10+ years, wow.

Like many of you have said, it seems the boards have devolved into a hive of negativity. Personally I think this city and by extension these boards are taking on the persona of some sports reporters in this city who seem content to tear down players to generate hits on their blogs or sites (or sell papers). Some posters seem to not see the forest for the trees I guess. It's depressing around here sometimes.

You're right to a certain extent jbeck, those were the days. We were on top of the world. I mean god damn, Alfredsson, Hossa, Havlat, Neil down the right side? Chara, Redden (when he was good), Phillips (in his mid 20's), vets like de Vries, and young guys like Volchenkov and Pothier on D? Spezza, Fisher and Vermette all in their early 20's coming down the middle? Man. Amazing. Even the prospects were fun to speculate about. Guys like Kaigorodov, Mirnov, Platil, Schubert were real enigmas, boom or bust, real discussion points. Not to mention Spezza coming up.

Even further, the team wasn't only pretty dominant but it was also involved in several rivalries, the leafs the flyers etc. it was an intense time. The on-ice intensity spilled out onto the boards and I remember massive arguments with leafs posters comparing our prospects or discussing who won a fight or whether a hit was clean.

There was definitely more to talk about, more to discuss.

The quality of subject matter is only a part of the equation. Back then there were far more posters on here with real knowledge and well thought out, and well written opinions. I think nanuuq said it, as a rookie poster you felt you had to really think things through because people would call you out on ridiculous opinions or baseless comments. It felt that your reputation mattered.

I'm chuckling as I'm writing this because I sound like my father talking about old time hockey and respect on the ice but it's the truth. I remember starting out in 2004 and being borderline apologetic about starting threads asking questions I thought might be stupid.

The truth is I learned a ton about hockey by reading these boards. Hashing out different opinions and coming to respect different points of view helped me grow as a fan and as a person. I really appreciate the opportunity this board has given me to learn about hockey and discuss my team.

The truth is, back in the day, to me, the boards were more than that. I remember working on a term paper in an introduction to law class and getting some advice at 3am from more than one poster on here who I knew were lawyers (you know who you are). It might seem insignificant but that advice certainly helped me ace that class and helped solidify my interest in going to law school (I've been a lawyer for several years now). These boards literally helped shape my career.

Petersidorkewicz also hit the nail on the head. There was a hilarious sarcastic vibe on the sens board which couldn't be found anywhere else on hfboards or anywhere else on the web. It was a blast, I remember being proud to post on the sens board. I cried of laughter more times than I can remember.

I guess what I'm saying is that the sens board used to be a community.

Unfortunately, many members of that community have moved on to other boards or moved on to other things in life, getting older, getting jobs or having kids.

What's really sad is that in many cases they moved on because of overly strict and authoritarian decisions by the powers that be and that's really a tragedy. We had a great community here and it's been dismantled much like the dominant sens team of the early 2000's was dismantled. Worse, it's like the Réjean Houle job on the habs back in the 90's.

I got the invitations to other boards, and I felt like a traitor sticking around, but I guess I stuck around out of loyalty to a place that gave me so much over the years. I know the glory days are gone but I do hope the quality around here can improve.

Some of those key posters have popped up in this thread so I won't rename them but I'd give a few more shout outs : Nyquil, discostu, Preds77, PapaLazarou, Murphy, moz, MarsVolchenkov, Silvercup, Voodoo, Hossa, Bingosensfan, DG, Golden (etc) you guys were the best, I know I'm leaving out a bunch, I hope you understand it's not because you aren't on my list (mostly because it's getting late and I'm getting old).

TLDR: I miss the old posters.

Good post man. Glad to have you around, makes me feel less old. ;)

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I definitely think Bingo should have a sticky, they are our affiliate team, I remember it getting removed once and it offended a lot of bingo posters.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
I've been a member for a while here on HF in sharing B-Sen prospect updates and recently been told to fly a kite by some mods.

BigBush*

I've been a member for a while here on HF in sharing B-Sen prospect updates and recently been told to fly a kite by some mods.

You can't be serious, I used to look forward to your bingo updates

The EnigmatiC Soul*

The quality of the discussion about the team is absolutely disgusting for the majority. It is why I dont really post much. I also can't speak much without getting an infraction around here.

Seriously though, these days especially, most fans seem like haters. It's disturbing.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Lately I have decided to finally use the ignore function and I'm at 12 for now with at least one more coming up... that might help a lot actually lol

Cutting on 50% or more of the non-sense should really help improve the experience. My patience had its quota.

hang in there, i really appreciate reading your posts.

Thanks a lot Nan, you've always been supportive.

It's annoying reading constant criticism based on knee jerk reactions. Team goes down a goal or a player makes a mistake, the sky is falling where everyone and everything sucks.

There's 29 other teams in the league trying to win and this team is not that bad. Sometimes I wonder if the success this team had up until 2007 created unrealistic expectations and made it seem easy to build a winning team.

If they lose, it's a disgrace, if they win, they're screwing up the draft. When they play well and lose, they're a crappy team, when they play poorly and win they didn't deserve it.

And then there's the cheap owner gibberish. When the time is right, they'll try to get players through FA, but that time is not now.

So when the team loses, it's mostly a waste of time to post or read any of that crap. Constructive criticism is great, whiny people acting like spoiled children is not interesting.

You totally nailed it

Let's start a petition to bring back the likes of Pancakes, Masterplan, Papa Lazarou, DG, Golden, Redden Hogalot, Silvercup, Germz, and many of the oldies that are posting in this thread.

Is it possible to un-ban some of these guys? :D

Papa was the guy who had the cat with a red hat at some point, no? God, that guy was insanely funny lol

The quality of the discussion about the team is absolutely disgusting for the majority. It is why I dont really post much. I also can't speak much without getting an infraction around here.

Seriously though, these days especially, most fans seem like haters. It's disturbing.

This is something of big concern for me. I lived in Montreal for a long time and have witnessed Habs fans unconditional love for their team... Maybe it's a bit over the board sometimes but why can't this fanbase love the Sens a little bit more and be behind them a little bit more? Just reduce the amount of hate released and it will improve a lot.

When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be

And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me

Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be

And when all the brokenhearted people
Living in the world agree
There will be an answer, let it be

For though they may be parted
There is still a chance that they will see

Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Yeah, there will be an answer let it be

Let it be, let it be
Let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be

Let it be, let it be
Let it be, yeah, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be

And when the night is cloudy
There is still a light that shines on me
Shine on until tomorrow, let it be

I wake up to the sound of music
Mother Mary comes to me

Yeah, let it be, let it be

Let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom
Let it be

Last edited:

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Along with whiny posters, I think elitism is also a growing problem. Just reading this thread it has become painfully obvious to see this. Just because someone hasn't been a fan of the team for 10 years doesn't mean that they are not invested in it or have nothing to offer.

As well, who is keeping track of who posts what? I just respond to the post not to the poster. Keeps me from pre-maturely judging a comment based on who it is.

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I used to come here religiously to read up on how our prospects in the OHL and in Europe were doing. People who actually were watching these kids were giving useful insight in to what they saw and thought. I feel like now the only discussion in our prospects thread is player A is a bust or player B is garbage or player C is too small. There is no actual analysis, it's just tear down and insult.

I feel like the quality of posting has gone down in the last year or so. While there is still a solid group of intelligent and rational posters, I feel like most threads aren't worth sifting through the mounds of fodder and knee jerk reactions to get to them.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
People shut you up pretty quickly, with the annoying "close this thread now pls" crap, just rude and discouraging to many posters.

People used to have the ability of sharing opinions without being cut to pieces...I just wish that there was more of a community here, we are all supposed to be on the same side.

I find that there is always something to talk about, even when the results are not what you are hoping for. I enjoy watching the terrific development of the young players: Hoffman (I was wrong about him), Stone, Ceci, Boro, etc...I am more excited about this team's future since my first post 5 years ago.

Sure, it sucks we are not higher up in the standings, but I have accepted that it may take a little longer to get to the top.

I suppose my defence of Melnyk did upset people around here, just because I run my own business and understand the financial aspect of things and sympathize with people who run businesses. I am also a sports fan and want to see my team win. I go to the games and will always go, because I can still remember that fateful day in the St. Pius X parking lot, with snowflakes falling, hearing the news that the league that had Gretzky and Lemieux was coming to Ottawa. We all stared at each other in shock. I am at the end of the day, and always will be, ecstatic that we have NHL hockey in my city. Win or lose.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Too much negativity, trolling and elitism for me really. I still frequent the boards but don't post much here. Plus some other stuff in life keeping me busy at the moment.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I've thought about it a little longer, and actually read through this whole thread and considered your posts.

It's funny, just a few days ago someone mentioned that I was one of the old guard and I looked up some of my first posts and was hit with a wave of nostalgia. 10+ years, wow.

Like many of you have said, it seems the boards have devolved into a hive of negativity. Personally I think this city and by extension these boards are taking on the persona of some sports reporters in this city who seem content to tear down players to generate hits on their blogs or sites (or sell papers). Some posters seem to not see the forest for the trees I guess. It's depressing around here sometimes.

You're right to a certain extent jbeck, those were the days. We were on top of the world. I mean god damn, Alfredsson, Hossa, Havlat, Neil down the right side? Chara, Redden (when he was good), Phillips (in his mid 20's), vets like de Vries, and young guys like Volchenkov and Pothier on D? Spezza, Fisher and Vermette all in their early 20's coming down the middle? Man. Amazing. Even the prospects were fun to speculate about. Guys like Kaigorodov, Mirnov, Platil, Schubert were real enigmas, boom or bust, real discussion points. Not to mention Spezza coming up.

Even further, the team wasn't only pretty dominant but it was also involved in several rivalries, the leafs the flyers etc. it was an intense time. The on-ice intensity spilled out onto the boards and I remember massive arguments with leafs posters comparing our prospects or discussing who won a fight or whether a hit was clean.

The quality of subject matter is only a part of the equation. Back then there were far more posters on here with real knowledge and well thought out, and well written opinions. I think nanuuq said it, as a rookie poster you felt you had to really think things through because people would call you out on ridiculous opinions or baseless comments. It felt that your reputation mattered.

I'm chuckling as I'm writing this because I sound like my father talking about old time hockey and respect on the ice but it's the truth. I remember starting out in 2004 and being borderline apologetic about starting threads asking questions I thought might be stupid.

The truth is I learned a ton about hockey by reading these boards. Hashing out different opinions and coming to respect different points of view helped me grow as a fan and as a person. I really appreciate the opportunity this board has given me to learn about hockey and discuss my team.

The truth is, back in the day, to me, the boards were more than that. I remember working on a term paper in an introduction to law class and getting some advice at 3am from more than one poster on here who I knew were lawyers (you know who you are). It might seem insignificant but that advice certainly helped me ace that class and helped solidify my interest in going to law school (I've been a lawyer for several years now). These boards literally helped shape my career.

Petersidorkewicz also hit the nail on the head. There was a hilarious sarcastic vibe on the sens board which couldn't be found anywhere else on hfboards or anywhere else on the web. It was a blast, I remember being proud to post on the sens board. I cried of laughter more times than I can remember.

Unfortunately, many members of that community have moved on to other boards or moved on to other things in life, getting older, getting jobs or having kids.

What's really sad is that in many cases they moved on because of overly strict and authoritarian decisions by the powers that be and that's really a tragedy. We had a great community here and it's been dismantled much like the dominant sens team of the early 2000's was dismantled. Worse, it's like the Réjean Houle job on the habs back in the 90's.

I got the invitations to other boards, and I felt like a traitor sticking around, but I guess I stuck around out of loyalty to a place that gave me so much over the years. I know the glory days are gone but I do hope the quality around here can improve.

Some of those key posters have popped up in this thread so I won't rename them but I'd give a few more shout outs : Nyquil, discostu, Preds77, PapaLazarou, Murphy, moz, MarsVolchenkov, Silvercup, Voodoo, Hossa, Bingosensfan, DG, Golden (etc) you guys were the best, I know I'm leaving out a bunch, I hope you understand it's not because you aren't on my list (mostly because it's getting late and I'm getting old).

The bolded does a good job of summarizing a point I couldn't succinctly put into words - I don't think there's ever been less buzz about this team. Even in the mid-90s, after the post-expansion honeymoon and before we became a playoff team, there was more buzz about this team than there is now.

Going to games live hasn't been fun in ages. Bileur, you got your nostalgia fix from reading old posts; I got mine from watching old clips - the Turris OT goal vs. the Rangers, game 6 vs. the Pens in 2010 (before we blew a 3-goal lead), Alfreddson tying and Greening winning game 3 in 2013 (they needed to use a difference camera angle that game because there were people standing and blocking the view of the regular camera!). These were opponents who were going to stomp us flat and we knew it, and yet every game was a rockshow, and we didn't need a recording of a guy screaming MAKE SOME NOOOIII-IIISE to make it that loud.

Compare that to now - I've been to two games this season (the Kings last month and the Canes last Saturday), and both games were deathly quiet, and from what I've seen on television, the lack of atmosphere at games translates directly into the broadcast. There's nothing about this team to get us excited, the fans in the building respond with that same lack of excitement, and the people at home take their cue from that. Add in a losing record, expectations so low you could scrape them off your shoe, and an owner not spending and [perceived to be] in financial trouble, and there's literally nothing to counterbalance the stream of negativity that comes from the media and the HF alarmists, both of whom do everything to cut this team down.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Lately I have decided to finally use the ignore function and I'm at 12 for now with at least one more coming up... that might help a lot actually lol

Cutting on 50% or more of the non-sense should really help improve the experience. My patience had its quota

I don't always agree with you, but I do always enjoy your posts and I appreciate the thought you put into them.

I decided to start using the ignore function last season, which help me get through the worst of what was happening on the boards at the time. I made a self imposed rule where I would remove everyone from the ignore list in June every year so everyone had a blank slate moving toward the next season. Posters can change and/or improve over time. So far it has worked, because I actually enjoy the posts of a couple of people I had on ignore last year.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
I think it generally has to do with how the team has performed the last 2 years and who we have lost. 2 star players leave and many stars left before that, i think many are worried, who's going to leave next and this makes people less attached to the team then they were before. I know I am.

What has happened the last several years with the team really bothers me and the only people that can do anything about it is ownership and GM. But hey, if the team was winning all would be good and we can't really blame anyone here for that.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005

Love this post, reads like a lifetime movie. We fought, we cried, we laughed oh the memories. Nailed it :)

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
This has been the least interested Ive been in the Sens in a while. Im also way busier then I used to be with work and what not. I still watch every game that I can, I just don't feel the need to talk about the same issues over and over and over without getting bored with beating a dead horse.

Jerk Store*

I just wanted to point out that our mods on the sens board are pretty good, helpful, and lenient. We're pretty lucky.

Every time you go on the main boards and get in a heated debate, you log back into hf,see the blue at the top right corner and cringe. And its never the thing you thought it would be. Its always something ridiculous that you're like " THAT got me infracted?!"

You shouldn't be on a message board with the feeling "i want to say something but i know it will be a back and forth and i'll get infracted so i wont".

100% agree with this. Mods for a few specific teams I find to be more sensitive. I'll admit that I'm responsible for many of my infractions, but a large number of them have been based on reputation and often given by the same mods, while worst comments have been tolerated if in line with what said mods posted. It's irritating. I agree that our mods have been terrific over the years.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
It's nice to see you posting Jerk Store.

One of my all time favorite board moments was following your journey to get your design made as the third jersey. And of course the aftermath and cool stories you shared after it was revealed you were the designer.

Good times...

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I am pretty happy that this thread was made as a member of this forum and a fan of the senators I want this board to be better and I for one want to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. (Not that I think I'm part of the problem as I never ever whine about the team and keep my posts positive because I am just happy to have a team to cheer for). I have a home here on HF Sens some like me some don't that's cool. I post a lot of gifs and funny pictures because I feel the board needs them sometimes. I for one vow to probably break the rules from time to time and to engage more in actual hockey related conversation. I also vow to help kill the cynical cry baby attitude in here and try to make it more fun to be in this community.

I also vow to rehab my injury and work my butt off to have coach Cameron insert me back into the lineup lol. I love you all and hope that together we can have fun and make this place better than ever.

2CHHHAAAIIIINNNZZZ

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I am pretty happy that this thread was made as a member of this forum and a fan of the senators I want this board to be better and I for one want to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. (Not that I think I'm part of the problem as I never ever whine about the team and keep my posts positive because I am just happy to have a team to cheer for). I have a home here on HF Sens some like me some don't that's cool. I post a lot of gifs and funny pictures because I feel the board needs them sometimes. I for one vow to probably break the rules from time to time and to engage more in actual hockey related conversation. I also vow to help kill the cynical cry baby attitude in here and try to make it more fun to be in this community.

I also vow to rehab my injury and work my butt off to have coach Cameron insert me back into the lineup lol. I love you all and hope that together we can have fun and make this place better than ever.

2CHHHAAAIIIINNNZZZ

All I know is I only created this thread so I could get more 2Chainz-related imagery in the GDT and PGTs...

Also, Benny used to post more cat pictures. I want more cat pictures. Especially since the new greatest Senator forward likes cats. We need to appease our goal-scoring god.

tumblr_mk8adduFOs1qm6joao1_1280.jpg

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
When I think about it, I found this board when the Internet was still only starting and that meant the quality of posters was higher: not everybody was interested in participating in a hockey forum on the web

Nowadays the internet is everywhere and no one bats an eye at someone quoting something they saw on the internet. I can't go on a date without the girl quoting some meme which is really weird when you think about it...

I signed up to post in 2007 but had been lurking as early as 2003 and here we are, in 2015 and the world has passed us by: we were at the frontier and it has been pushed back and then some!

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
When I think about it, I found this board when the Internet was still only starting and that meant the quality of posters was higher: not everybody was interested in participating in a hockey forum on the web

Nowadays the internet is everywhere and no one bats an eye at someone quoting something they saw on the internet. I can't go on a date without the girl quoting some meme which is really weird when you think about it...

I signed up to post in 2007 but had been lurking as early as 2003 and here we are, in 2015 and the world has passed us by: we were at the frontier and it has been pushed back and then some!

I think you raise some really good points here, which I will take a step further. Even compared to a couple of years ago, hockey blogs and hockey sites with multiple writers have proliferated like crazy. People who are good hockey writers are continually being asked to write for one hockey site or another. There are tons of options for both writing and reading out there in other places, which cuts into the amount of time some people spend here.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005

That's surprising and very disappointing. Reading your poss and ZekeA's about whats up down in Bingo are always interesting to me.

I wonder if the drop off in fan interest is not just in HFBoards, I don't think yesterday was a sell out at CTC and it looks like quite a few empty seats there some nights. I wonder if interest in the team is dipping right now over all.

it seemed like something broke the summer that Alfie left and its not really mended yet .

Last edited:

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
All I know is I only created this thread so I could get more 2Chainz-related imagery in the GDT and PGTs...

Also, Benny used to post more cat pictures. I want more cat pictures. Especially since the new greatest Senator forward likes cats. We need to appease our goal-scoring god.

I laughed because I was just thinking where have Benny and all the cats been ?

I think a lot of the problems have to do with the surge of quality adult video streaming sites. I think a lot of fans log on hf then get side tracked then log off due to shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad