Calder Trophy Race

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Is Kuznetsov still eligible?
If so, him.

Kuznetsov is eligible as he only played in 17 games last year for Washington, more than 25 regular season games would have made him ineligible. So he will definitely be in the running with Drouin, Rattie, and many other very good rookies this season.:nod:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Just glancing through a list of 60 top NHL prospects with Calder Trophy eligibility on NHL.com, compiled with the help of three anonymous NHL scouts and three of the NHL.com staff; Adam Kimelman, Corey Masisak and Mike Morreale.

Some very interesting choices amongst the top 60 and a further list that includes other eligible prospects that gained at least one vote. For all of the Hab posters with keen interest in prospects, these selections include a few of the Habs prospects. Leading the way for the Habs were JDLR and Zach Fucale in the top 60. With Scherbak and Sekac that also gained some votes, promising that 4 of our prospects gain this type of recognition. Johnathan Drouin #1, John Gibson #2 and Evgeni Kuznetsov #3, with small write-ups with each of the Top 60.:handclap:

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
When Mac & Jo played together in jr they were close to equal with different skill sets.

Mac has always had the heart of a lion and will bring work ethic along with his talent. Jo's road will be harder...while fast, he lacks that extra gear Mac has. His vision and passing ability was superior to Mac but that was in jr, if he can find the confidence in the NHL, lookout because he is elite.

From what I've seen and read, Mac's anticipation and hockey sense is quite superior to Drouin's. He knows exactly where the puck is going to go, and is fast enough to get there before the puck does.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
One from the left field.... Anthony Mantha in Detroit.

Truly has warranted a Top Ten position with his play in the WJC's, in leading Val D'Or into the Memorial Cup tournament, and his outstanding season in the QMJHL. I like seeing the rankings for players that play more of a team game or 200 ft. players; JDLR, Lazar, Horvat, Domi, Laughton, Jarnkrok, Larkin too name quite a few from the Top 60. Lots of others will most certainly join them with development, just the type of players I've always admired for their teamwork & character, playoff types in brief, I guess.:nod:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
From what I've seen and read, Mac's anticipation and hockey sense is quite superior to Drouin's. He knows exactly where the puck is going to go, and is fast enough to get there before the puck does.

What's the point, then?

You have to get there exactly when the puck does. A wizard is never late, or early, for that matter. He arrives precisely when he means to.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Just glancing through a list of 60 top NHL prospects with Calder Trophy eligibility on NHL.com, compiled with the help of three anonymous NHL scouts and three of the NHL.com staff; Adam Kimelman, Corey Masisak and Mike Morreale.

Some very interesting choices amongst the top 60 and a further list that includes other eligible prospects that gained at least one vote. For all of the Hab posters with keen interest in prospects, these selections include a few of the Habs prospects. Leading the way for the Habs were JDLR and Zach Fucale in the top 60. With Scherbak and Sekac that also gained some votes, promising that 4 of our prospects gain this type of recognition. Johnathan Drouin #1, John Gibson #2 and Evgeni Kuznetsov #3, with small write-ups with each of the Top 60.:handclap:

Dude. Zach Fucale won't even play one NHL game this year. And he won't play next year either.

Calm down. :laugh:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Dude. Zach Fucale won't even play one NHL game this year. And he won't play next year either.

Calm down. :laugh:

That's part of the write-up about Zach in the article actually, they are just ranking prospects with Calder Trophy eligibility, quite a few aren't expected to break into their NHL team's lineup.:nod:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
That's part of the write-up about Zach in the article actually, they are just ranking prospects with Calder Trophy eligibility, quite a few aren't expected to break into their NHL team's lineup.:nod:

If a prospect's probability of playing in the NHL is 0, the probability of him winning the Calder is 0 too.

K9

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
If a prospect's probability of playing in the NHL is 0, the probability of him winning the Calder is 0 too.

The list S Bah is referring to isn't a Calder prediction list, it's just a list of best prospects who are still "Calder eligible" i.e. they haven't played 25 games in the NHL yet. Half the list won't play in the NHL this year. It's an interesting list, recommend you check it out. 3 NHL writers and 3 anonymous NHL scouts each gave their top 60 so it's a composite ranking. Some pretty interesting outcomes for sure, just goes to show how different scouts evalute different players.

Back to the Calder discussion, someone I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet is Brett Ritchie in Dallas. He's expected to at least get a try out in pre-season/training camp with Seguin/Benn line. Keep an eye out for him.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The list S Bah is referring to isn't a Calder prediction list, it's just a list of best prospects who are still "Calder eligible" i.e. they haven't played 25 games in the NHL yet. Half the list won't play in the NHL this year. It's an interesting list, recommend you check it out. 3 NHL writers and 3 anonymous NHL scouts each gave their top 60 so it's a composite ranking. Some pretty interesting outcomes for sure, just goes to show how different scouts evalute different players.

Back to the Calder discussion, someone I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet is Brett Ritchie in Dallas. He's expected to at least get a try out in pre-season/training camp with Seguin/Benn line. Keep an eye out for him.

Another very good character/team player with size and talent, if he plays on a line with those two he will garner lots of attention as a Calder candidate no doubting that.:nod: I have posted numerous times about the Habs trying to trade for Brett Ritchie when he was playing in Europe, with the hope the Habs might be able to pry him out from Dallas, no chance of that after he plays on a line with Benn & Seguin.

Last edited:

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite

not sure what you're getting at but I'll reiterate "Drouin's vision and passing ability are superior to Mac but that was in Jr, if he can find the confidence in the NHL, lookout because he is elite."!

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
It would be very surprising at best that a Habs wins the Calder Trophy.

Theres a chance Sekac scores a lot of points but being older won't help him when they make the selection, unless he dominates the scoresheet which would be a bit of a fluke if it happens. Just forget about De La Rose or others... None of them is even guaranteed to make the team.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I could see a situation where a Habs forward gets hurt long term, Sekac steps up and takes a Calder nomination. Otherwise, too many rookies playing for teams that are gonna give them big minutes just because they can.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
A top ten prospects eligible for the Calder Trophy;

1) J.Drouin
2) E.Kuznetsov
3)M.Domi
4)C.Lazar
5)A.Mantha
6)D.Jaskin
7)b.Horvat
8)A.Wennberg
9)G.Rinehart
10)J.De la Rose - My personal favorite, but certainly a darkhorse candidate.

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012
A top ten prospects eligible for the Calder Trophy;

1) J.Drouin
2) E.Kuznetsov
3)M.Domi
4)C.Lazar
5)A.Mantha
6)D.Jaskin
7)b.Horvat
8)A.Wennberg
9)G.Rinehart
10)J.De la Rose - My personal favorite, but certainly a darkhorse candidate.
i would be surprised to see De la Rose make the team but i hope i am wrong

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
i would be surprised to see De la Rose make the team but i hope i am wrong

Yes I'd love to see him win so much, just due to his work ethic and of course he's a Hab!:laugh: I read Bo Horvat is practising on a line with Hunter Shinkaruk, two former Team Canada teammates, both could be lethal scoring weapons in the very near future, IMHO.:nod::nod:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Teuvo Teravainen or Drouin will win it. It's going to be harder for TT unless a key element gets subtracted by way of injuries or a trade. Mantha is probably bound the the AHL but he has to be in the discussion too.

No Habs prospect will be in the run this year. Sherbak is a potential candidate for next year.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Drouin will have a selanne like rookie year
Maybe when he's 22-23 he can have a Selanne like season, that's how old Selanne was. Now if you said a Bossy like rookie year, I might have agreed.

Either way, he's my favorite to win it.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
My money is on Drouin.

How often do people correctly predict the winner of the Calder trophy?
Agreed but many are looking at the last year draft.
This year was simple because of McKinnon (1st overall).
Was competing with 22 years old Palat and Johnson who was 23 years old.
But many draft choices do not get to NHL the first year.

Sekac for example was the second scorer of his team (first in ppg) that was top-3 in KHL.

Tough to compare a 19 or 20 years old with players who are much more ready.

Then you need to consider rookies that are put in favorable situations (Skinner) and are able to score more because they are unknown...

Se (g)kac is going to be a definitive top-10. Time will tell if he is top-3.

Great players who would be top rookies have a hard time being in Calder race if they are in top-6 (top-4 in West and top-2 in East).

Despite that, Sekac will be a top-10 in Calder cup and could very well be top-3.

Drouin, Rattie, Sekac, Bennett, Teravainen, Sekac, Reinhart (G), Dumba are the nearest in time.

Lesglorieux

Jun 27, 2014
Calgary, AB
Agreed but many are looking at the last year draft.
This year was simple because of McKinnon (1st overall).
Was competing with 22 years old Palat and Johnson who was 23 years old.

But many draft choices do not get to NHL the first year.

Sekac for example was the second scorer of his team (first in ppg) that was top-3 in KHL.

Tough to compare a 19 or 20 years old with players who are much more ready.

Then you need to consider rookies that are put in favorable situations (Skinner) and are able to score more because they are unknown...

Se (g)kac is going to be a definitive top-10. Time will tell if he is top-3.

Great players who would be top rookies have a hard time being in Calder race if they are in top-6 (top-4 in West and top-2 in East).

Despite that, Sekac will be a top-10 in Calder cup and could very well be top-3.

Drouin, Rattie, Sekac, Bennett, Teravainen, Sekac, Reinhart (G), Dumba are the nearest in time.

I thought Sekac was ineligible because of his time in the KHL?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I thought Sekac was ineligible because of his time in the KHL?

Pretty sure he isn't eligible also. People seem to only consider the 25 games limit in the previous season. Maybe they dropped the "can't have played more than 6 games in any 2 previous seasons in any major professional league" part from the rules?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad