Calder Trophy Race

Lesglorieux

Jun 27, 2014
Calgary, AB
Pretty sure he isn't eligible also. People seem to only consider the 25 games limit in the previous season. Maybe they dropped the "can't have played more than 6 games in any 2 previous seasons in any major professional league" part from the rules?

Yeah I'm not too sure how it works, I could be completely wrong, I just had it in my head that you couldnt play more than 25 games in any pro league, not just the NHL.

Edit: just looked it up, yeah its 6 games in any 2 previous seasons in any pro league, so he's not eligible

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Who do you think will be the winner and two runner ups in voting this season?

Jiri Sekac - Montreal
Jacob De la Rose - Montreal
Nathan Beaulieu - Montreal
Jarred Tinordi - Montreal
Ty Rattie - St. Louis
Matt Dumba - Minnesota
Aaron Ekblad - Florida
Joey Hishon - Colorado
Sam Reinhart - Buffalo

or some other player from another team?

The Habs certainly have a bevy of good choices this season.:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Perhaps J.Drouin of Tampa Bay!

<Drouin (favorite)
<Dumba (pulling for Dumba)
<Sekac? (small maybe/question mark for top 5...and only if he plays with Pleks or Eller for entire season)

<Tinordi: really pulling for him to be our best rookie this year.

<Scherbak: top 5 in NHL rookies for 2015-2016? or 2016-2017?
(but not this season).

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
Agreed but many are looking at the last year draft.
This year was simple because of McKinnon (1st overall).
Was competing with 22 years old Palat and Johnson who was 23 years old.

Well, it wasn't quite as simple as you're making it out to be.

He was also competing with a 19 year old Tomas Hertl who, if not for that knee injury, would have made it very, very different race.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
One of these 4:

- Drouin
- Gibson
- Jake Allen (I think he'd be eligible)
- Kuznetzov

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Tampa Bay's Johnathan Drouin has found the going tough already in the pre-season with a broken thumb. Players don't enjoy being undressed the way Drouin can do with his beautiful playmaking abilities, veteran's are after him like they did with PK Subban when he came up into the NHL.:nod:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Kuznetsov is not eligible. He has over 200 games in the KHL.

He's eligible having only played 17 games for Washington last season, although with new head coach Barry Trotz, he will be expected to play a two/way game and be responsible defensively first and foremost.:nod:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
He's eligible having only played 17 games for Washington last season, although with new head coach Barry Trotz, he will be expected to play a two/way game and be responsible defensively first and foremost.:nod:

No No no: Read the rules! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calder_Memorial_Trophy) He has played more than 6 games in 2 separate previous season in a major professional league. He is not eligible. Here to make it easy on you:

To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played any more than 25 games previously in any single season, nor have played in more than six games in each of two separate preceding seasons in any major professional league

Edit: + the 25 games is in any major professional league...

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
No No no: Read the rules! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calder_Memorial_Trophy) He has played more than 6 games in 2 separate previous season in a major professional league. He is not eligible. Here to make it easy on you:

Edit: + the 25 games is in any major professional league...

Yes I've read the rules on eligibility, but it seems the NHL doesn't give the KHL that kind of recognition. In earlier posts a list was posted for the NHL top prospects with Calder Trophy Eligibility and Kuznetsov made the list, imagine my surprise, thinking that Drouin would be the leading candidate by far. Gretzky unfortunately never won due to playing for the WHA, even though he tied Marcel Dionne for the Art Ross Trophy(Most Points in a season) as a 19 yr. old. But the WHA had folded and the NHL deemed they were a Pro League, screwing Gretzky out of the Calder, IMHO it was a penalty for signing with the WHA underage.:nod: Others greats that never won the Calder trophy are a huge list, only the last decade or so have the truly great players won IMHO, quite often goalies have won that play short careers without significance. But that's to be expected when it's voted on by the media, instead of by the players peers, a far better method IMHO.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Yes I've read the rules on eligibility, but it seems the NHL doesn't give the KHL that kind of recognition. In earlier posts a list was posted for the NHL top prospects with Calder Trophy Eligibility and Kuznetsov made the list, imagine my surprise, thinking that Drouin would be the leading candidate by far. Gretzky unfortunately never won due to playing for the WHA, even though he tied Marcel Dionne for the Art Ross Trophy(Most Points in a season) as a 19 yr. old. But the WHA had folded and the NHL deemed they were a Pro League, screwing Gretzky out of the Calder, IMHO it was a penalty for signing with the WHA underage.:nod: Others greats that never won the Calder trophy are a huge list, only the last decade or so have the truly great players won IMHO, quite often goalies have won that play short careers without significance. But that's to be expected when it's voted on by the media, instead of by the players peers, a far better method IMHO.

That's it? That's the leg you're standing on? I don't thinks so... He isn't eligible, people are just making a common mistake. :nod:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
That's it? That's the leg you're standing on? I don't thinks so... He isn't eligible, people are just making a common mistake. :nod:

This isn't my decision, why would you make such a statement, I'm merely explaining the NHL's eligibility requirement, and they obviously don't give the KHL that type of recognition. I'm not into argumentative conversations, so please don't waste your time or mine trying to create such futile responses, thanks S.Bah.:nod:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
This isn't my decision, why would you make such a statement, I'm merely explaining the NHL's eligibility requirement, and they obviously don't give the KHL that type of recognition. I'm not into argumentative conversations, so please don't waste your time or mine trying to create such futile responses, thanks S.Bah.:nod:

I see that, you just have nothing to substantiate what you write.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I see that, you just have nothing to substantiate what you write.

Well if that's your interpretation, who am I to disagree? Try the NHL see what their reasoning is for eligibility requirements, I certainly have no say in what they deem to be a Professional League. I'm relating what I've read on their official web site, which is open for all readers, and people are permitted to respond to as well. A far better idea than accusing other fans of having nothing to substantiate their statement's, read back on previous posts and you will find the appropriate posts to substantiate the remarks. My Sunday isn't going to be spent trying to please you any further.Thanks bye now.:shakehead

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
With recent play of Sekac...maybe some of you would put Sekac in top 5 now? (rookie points).

Will Nylander make the Leafs' top 9 this season?
(and how many of you would take Nylander over Scherbak? or forget I asked!?).

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Kuznetsov is definitely eligible. The NHL does not recognize the KHL as a professional league.

Not saying he will win, but he is eligible.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Kuznetsov is definitely eligible. The NHL does not recognize the KHL as a professional league.

Not saying he will win, but he is eligible.

That makes Sekac eligible too and it appears that he will be a regular going by his play in the pre-season, he may have a good opportunity to be in the running.:nod:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
How often do people correctly predict the winner of the Calder trophy?

Try the Guiness book of records, perhaps they take polls of such monumental feats.:laugh: My pick before Drouin broke his thumb was Drouin, now I would be leaning Kuznetsov's way, they are probably the two most gifted offensive players eligible this year. But it's a long season and injuries often times knock players out of the running for the Calder, the last decade many of the winners would have been the favorites pre-season. This year there are quite a few, Anthony Mantha in Detroit could be a darkhorse to win, Max Domi, Curtis Lazar, Bo Horvat are others. Check the list from NHL.com, it's a pretty good long list of possibilities.:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad