C Will Smith - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 4th, SJS)

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
Not trying to rile up Sharks fans but wasn’t sure where to put this.

Who is the straw that stirred the drink between Smith and Cutter Gauthier? Who was driving the line and the better play now and in the future for those that watched them a ton?

Thanks!
They didn't play on a line together regularly -- Smith generally played with Ryan Leonard and Gabe Perreault. Between Leonard, Perreault, and Smith there have been literally dozens of pages of debate about who drives that line with no consensus.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Not trying to rile up Sharks fans but wasn’t sure where to put this.

Who is the straw that stirred the drink between Smith and Cutter Gauthier? Who was driving the line and the better play now and in the future for those that watched them a ton?

Thanks!
They didn’t play together.

Reactions: DJB

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
They didn't play on a line together regularly -- Smith generally played with Ryan Leonard and Gabe Perreault. Between Leonard, Perreault, and Smith there have been literally dozens of pages of debate about who drives that line with no consensus.
The only thing to add to this good summary is that when Perreault was injured late season, Smith centered Leonard and Gauthier and it was a pretty lethal line, with Smith going on a points tear and probably having his best games of the season. At other times he looked for Perreault a little too much.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As objective as possible the framing of their line would be that Leonard was the dirty work guy who dug pucks out, played more direct, went to the net, and got open for shots. Perreault was a playmaker often looking for open teammates, making quick puck decisions, and working to move the puck around, while Smith was a little bit of a combination of those two as the center on the line and maybe tilting a little more towards the type of game Perreault was playing.

They worked very well together, and all three benefit from playing with each other. We’ll see how each does when they aren’t playing together. Smith will be apart from the other two this season, and the two wingers will be without their center.

Reactions: CaptainShark

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
As objective as possible the framing of their line would be that Leonard was the dirty work guy who dug pucks out, played more direct, went to the net, and got open for shots. Perreault was a playmaker often looking for open teammates, making quick puck decisions, and working to move the puck around, while Smith was a little bit of a combination of those two as the center on the line and maybe tilting a little more towards the type of game Perreault was playing.

They worked very well together, and all three benefit from playing with each other. We’ll see how each does when they aren’t playing together. Smith will be apart from the other two this season, and the two wingers will be without their center.
I mean, who is Smith even going to play with next year? I can’t imagine Smith and Celebrini play together on the same line other than PP.

San Jose better sign some decent vets. I think Smith is going to really struggle early on in the year.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I mean, who is Smith even going to play with next year? I can’t imagine Smith and Celebrini play together on the same line other than PP.

San Jose better sign some decent vets. I think Smith is going to really struggle early on in the year.
I think he will struggle. Could play him with Eklund (Perreault) and Zetterlund (Leonard), but probably better to introduce him on the wing. Either way the sharks definitely need to sign some upgrades even if only moderate upgrades.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Edit now know they didn’t play on the same line….still want to know why is the further better NHL playere
Well Will Smith scored a few more points, is a center and a year younger so I would say he is trending to be the more impactful NHL player. Cutter still looks really good though

I could see Couture on his wing if he is able to play. Eklund and Zetterlund could also be an interesting pair of wingers for him, but would leave Celebrini out in the air.

Reactions: DJB

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Scratched tonight against the Jets. I’m still of the opinion he signed too early but maybe he’ll be somewhat productive as the year goes on.

While you’re technical correct, Coach Wario said it’s for load management for a 19 year old on back to back. He also said Smith had his best game last night. Given he played 18 minutes it doesn’t sound like lip service to me.

If you’re a glutton for punishment the Sharks sans Eklund, Smith, and Celebrini is great fun. Gushchin is a fun little eater but out there though.

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014
While you’re technical correct, Coach Wario said it’s for load management for a 19 year old on back to back. He also said Smith had his best game last night. Given he played 18 minutes it doesn’t sound like lip service to me.

If you’re a glutton for punishment the Sharks sans Eklund, Smith, and Celebrini is great fun. Gushchin is a fun little eater but out there though.
I think ANA did the same thing with Carlsson last year? You'd naturally prefer they play a full 82, but not a huge deal if it's planned (as opposed to reactive).

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
Scratched tonight against the Jets. I’m still of the opinion he signed too early but maybe he’ll be somewhat productive as the year goes on.
The rationale for signing seemed to have been that he had outgrown the NCAA after his first year. I've heard both his agent and his teammates refer to his point total as ostensible proof of that.

Just my opinion, but even though the numbers might have been there because of the talent alongside him on the lines he played on, I never felt like Smith was taking over games to the point that he had nothing left to prove in college. And he disappeared down the stretch as the games got more intense.

The Sharks seemed to push pretty hard for Smith to sign, so I hope they did so with a development plan in mind that might include load management like this healthy scratch and didn't call him up with the expectation that he would be ready from the jump and are now benching him because he's not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad