C Will Smith - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 4th, SJS)

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
1+1 tonight and just like that, he's having a phenomenal rookie season as he's tied for second on the team in scoring.
I think people are overstating the concern from before this game (even overstating/overreading my concern), but phenomenal is also overstating it. Had a secondary assist on the PP, had a nice snipe from the slot, generally looks smart in positioning and awareness, generally looks slow but it might be conditioning. Still generally looks a bit soft on the boards. Much better to see 2 points in a 6-1 win. Let's see how he plays vs a better team in Denver. I'm not re-evaluating him every game, but it's all breadcrumbs to consider.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I think people are overstating the concern from before this game (even overstating/overreading my concern), but phenomenal is also overstating it. Had a secondary assist on the PP, had a nice snipe from the slot, generally looks smart in positioning and awareness, generally looks slow but it might be conditioning. Still generally looks a bit soft on the boards. Much better to see 2 points in a 6-1 win. Let's see how he plays vs a better team in Denver. I'm not re-evaluating him every game, but it's all breadcrumbs to consider.
The "phenomenal" comment was sarcasm. I don't make assessments of players' seasons after three games.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Smith had his best game of the season vs Denver this weekend. It wasn’t just his impact on the score sheet but also the way he was playing. His energy and aggressiveness was great. I thought at times in other games he wasn’t as assertive all the time as I’d like out of him, this game he was all over the ice. He’s also already gotten much better at the face off, where he struggled in the past

In case anyone wants to watch Smith, Leonard, or any other BC draft pick, most of their games are on ESPN+ including Thursday and Fridays games against Michigan State which should be a great series

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Smith had his best game of the season vs Denver this weekend. It wasn’t just his impact on the score sheet but also the way he was playing. His energy and aggressiveness was great. I thought at times in other games he wasn’t as assertive all the time as I’d like out of him, this game he was all over the ice. He’s also already gotten much better at the face off, where he struggled in the past

In case anyone wants to watch Smith, Leonard, or any other BC draft pick, most of their games are on ESPN+ including Thursday and Fridays games against Michigan State which should be a great series

Sorry to go off topic, but how was Perreault?

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Sorry to go off topic, but how was Perreault?
He looked good, he’s still finding his way but he’s getting better and better. The more I watch of him, the more I’ve started understanding the way he plays. I think the skating question mark around him was a bit over blown and I was even a bit guilty of that as well. That said, I don’t think he’ll ever be a burner unless he makes a mechanical change to his skating. Perrault seems to be the type of guy who finds holes and space in other teams rather than be the guy who’s going to constantly drive the play. As he’s gotten more comfortable at the college level, the better he’s played and found space to create. He played well against Denver but you can see there’s more there. The Smith Leonard Perrault line was BC’s best line against Denver

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He looked good, he’s still finding his way but he’s getting better and better. The more I watch of him, the more I’ve started understanding the way he plays. I think the skating question mark around him was a bit over blown and I was even a bit guilty of that as well. That said, I don’t think he’ll ever be a burner unless he makes a mechanical change to his skating. Perrault seems to be the type of guy who finds holes and space in other teams rather than be the guy who’s going to constantly drive the play. As he’s gotten more comfortable at the college level, the better he’s played and found space to create. He played well against Denver but you can see there’s more there. The Smith Leonard Perrault line was BC’s best line against Denver

Thanks.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

Thanks, great writeup. I haven't watched any games yet, but other Sharks fans have said he looks like he doesn't have top-end speed / "wheels" e.g. getting caught on breakaways, with some speculating it might be more of a conditioning/fitness issue. What have you seen on that front?

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
3 point night, giving him 8 points in five games so far to lead BC. He’s gotten noticeably better and more confident each game. He’s so good at forcing turnovers on the forecheck.

Sky is the limit.
He definitely looked great out there tonight. Arguably his goal should have been saved but it was a sneaky turnaround shot and well placed just under glove. Super creative and effective pass on a dime to Gauthier at the end of the 5 on 3. Seemed to be up in the play, fast enough, and forced a turnover on Levshunov at the end (and others throughout the game, good on the forecheck). Saw him lose some physical battles and doesn't look big even among college kids, so he'll need to get stronger, and hopefully quicker too.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He definitely looked great out there tonight. Arguably his goal should have been saved but it was a sneaky turnaround shot and well placed just under glove. Super creative and effective pass on a dime to Gauthier at the end of the 5 on 3. Seemed to be up in the play, fast enough, and forced a turnover on Levshunov at the end (and others throughout the game, good on the forecheck). Saw him lose some physical battles and doesn't look big even among college kids, so he'll need to get stronger, and hopefully quicker too.
Right, he absolutely needs to get stronger and quicker, but he hasn’t been doing the juniors-type cheat-for-offense shit he tried to do in his first game at all in the past couple games and he’s been so much more engaged and effective off-puck. Downright tenacious at times tonight.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The line of Smith, Leonard, and Perreault are going to be a REALLY fun to watch at the WJCs this year.

All 3 having been putting up points 5 games into their NCAA careers. Line is fun. Hopefully they all stick around one more year at BC after this to really dominate.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The line of Smith, Leonard, and Perreault are going to be a REALLY fun to watch at the WJCs this year.

All 3 having been putting up points 5 games into their NCAA careers. Line is fun. Hopefully they all stick around one more year at BC after this to really dominate.
I don’t think they’ll be a line at the World Juniors. It’s a 19 year old tournament. 18 year olds better be great or be prepared to play depth roles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad