C Will Bitten (2016, 70th, MTL; traded to MIN; traded to STL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I don't think this guy has his own thread on here, but he definitely should. Draft eligible player tearing up the OHL right now with 32 points in 22 games, and he's not doing it on an elite team like Tkachuk, Debrincat, etc. are (not to say he's as good as those guys, but he's carrying the offensive load for Flint). Also note that Bitten will be one of the younger players in the draft, with a July birthday. I've only seen him watching highlights, but I'm really impressed with his game. What can people say about him? Strengths, weaknesses? Where do you think he'll be taken in June?

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
I don't think this guy has his own thread on here, but he definitely should. Draft eligible player tearing up the OHL right now with 32 points in 22 games, and he's not doing it on an elite team like Tkachuk, Debrincat, etc. are (not to say he's as good as those guys, but he's carrying the offensive load for Flint). Also note that Bitten will be one of the younger players in the draft, with a July birthday. I've only seen him watching highlights, but I'm really impressed with his game. What can people say about him? Strengths, weaknesses? Where do you think he'll be taken in June?

Haven't seen him since his midget year here in Ottawa (Jr 67s) but glad to see him doing well. Great puck-handler at that age, so not surprised to see his OHL numbers jumping up in year 2.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Seems to be on a fair amount of the Saarijarvi highlights that are put up over on the Wings board. Small shifty player with a very good right-handed release in my opinion, fast hands in general in terms of the puck handle to go with tremendous hand eye especially in controlled receptions of crisp passes. I don't see him as a center at the next level when I watch him at least to date that isn't my expectation. But I have only caught a couple full games.

Still a lot to like, has really good offensive instincts. Really good initial burst and acceleration in his skating. Is going to need more size though he seems to have a solid lower body already that could still add more weight which is important on the smaller guys, but yes an intriguing player in my opinion.

An NHL player he kind of reminds me of is Cam Atkinson on CBJ, though admittedly a rough comparison and I would need to watch him more.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Seen all of Flint's games this year. He's a smaller forward with a lot of speed. Seems like he gets a breakaway almost every game because of how fast he is. He also has really good hands when he gets in tight on the netminder. I can see why he's under rated, playing on a Flint team that doesn't get a lot of coverage (unless it's in a negative aspect). I think next year he plays for team Canada at the world juniors. He alone creates offense on a team where he doesn't have the depth around him.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Fast and skilled, only seen him a handful of times but was very effective last year as a OHL rookie. Comparisons are tough but Cam Atkinson like Zetterberg Era mentioned is close to bang on. Brendan Gallagher or Tyler Johnson could also work, though I don't think Bitten has that edge to his game like them yet.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
What's everyone's best guess for where he'll get drafted? I've seen early second round a lot, anyone think he can jump into the first round if he keeps this pace up?

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
If he keeps it up yeah I think he'll for sure be a late 1st rounder. But I'd agree a safe bet is early 2nd. I can't see him falling past mid 2nd round though.

Canuck71*

What's everyone's best guess for where he'll get drafted? I've seen early second round a lot, anyone think he can jump into the first round if he keeps this pace up?

I see a team taking a chance on him in the 1st. In my opinion he would be a surefire top 20 pick if I was in charge of it all but I think his size is gunna scare some teams a bit. He is incredibly fast and shifty and most of his goals are a result of this but he is also a great playmaker with great hockey sense. He's playing on a pretty dismal team with not much talent around him and is still having great production. He's not as feisty as Gallagher but he has more skill and is one of the shiftiest players in the OHL, he hardly ever gets hit. I personally think he's right there with Clayton Keller who some have ranked inside the top 10 but generally a consensus top 20 player. Get out to a Flint game if you can, Bitten is worth the price of admission.

LePalle

Aug 22, 2006
South Jersey
Aside from being a fantastic hockey player he's also not that small. His lack of size is incredibly overplayed and he's a young guy who can still grow. No one should be 'scared' to draft a man of average height.

I want my team to draft hockey players personally, and this is a hockey player right here. He should not make it out of the 1st round.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Bitten with another breakaway goal and was just able to sneak the puck under Smith's pads off of a nice deke in tight.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Wow Flint is HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE.

Amazing he is putting up the numbers he's putting up on this dumpster fire team

amack081

Nov 1, 2015
To me he's a first round talent that is likely going to be drafted in the 2nd round.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
The Firebirds' owner has fired the coaches (again) and Bitten's father is, understandably, most upset:

Father of Flint Firebirds star: ‘They have to take this team away from that man’

The father of the Flint Firebirds top scorer this season said his son will not return next season if the Ontario League does not do something about Firebirds owner Rolf Nilsen. Michael Bitten, the father of Firebirds leading scorer Will Bitten, said his son would have probably left the team immediately, but has been advised by his agent to remain with the team for the rest of this season.

But Michael Bitten said there is “no way†his son will return to the Firebirds next season if Nilsen still owns the team. “If there are not changes there, my son will not go back, and I don’t think many others would as well,†Michael Bitten said. “It’s probably out of (OHL commissioner) David Branch’s control to a certain extent, but he must have the power to rectify it and I don’t know what that is. But surely they have to take this team away from that man. How can you go on long-term?â€
Michael Bitten also said that his son was “devastated†when the Firebirds traded defenseman Josh Wesley and goalie Alex Nedeljkovic, Will’s mentors and two best friends on the team. Will Bitten is in his draft year and said the turmoil surrounding the team and the trades that were prompted by it definitely affected his play, and likely his status heading into the draft. He also said his son has been through the wringer in his two OHL years. Bitten was drafted by the Plymouth Whalers prior to last season and his father said that team would not have been his first choice, but decided to respect the draft process and report to the team that took him. The Whalers moved after last season, then landed in the turmoil in Flint this season.

“My son went through a kind of a depression when Nedeljkovic and Wesley were traded,†Michael Bitten said. “The stats speak for themselves. I saw on a forum said that William only scored two goals the last 15 games and was minus-19 and that speaks volumes because that’s exactly what happened. It was the turmoil that was really getting to him. It was very, very difficult.â€

I really can't imagine any team that drafts Bitten wanting him anywhere near the team next season. What a disaster.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Firebirds' owner has fired the coaches (again) and Bitten's father is, understandably, most upset:

Father of Flint Firebirds star: ‘They have to take this team away from that man’

I really can't imagine any team that drafts Bitten wanting him anywhere near the team next season. What a disaster.

While understandable and these kids are humans, I would not have shared this tidbit if I was his father. Bitten still looked good even during the freefall to be honest. He was doing his best while getting little help around him. Why confirm he was struggling with it and that it impacted his play. I mean that isn't something NHL execs want to hear as tough times are certain to happen for him in the future both on and off the ice. I get that it is a learning process. I just don't think his father needed to comment on it.

Feel bad for all involved. People were pretty excited to land a team in the Flint area and the Owner is just crushing this thing. Reports are Bitten isn't alone in terms of he will not be there next year. The Wings are pulling the plug on Vili there according to most reports. Honestly if I was them I would ship him to Grand Rapids tomorrow and get him away from that toxic environment. Because of how he was drafted they can end that experiment whenever they want is my understanding. Poor Bitten will have to wait into the off-season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
While understandable and these kids are humans, I would not have shared this tidbit if I was his father. Bitten still looked good even during the freefall to be honest. He was doing his best while getting little help around him. Why confirm he was struggling with it and that it impacted his play. I mean that isn't something NHL execs want to hear as tough times are certain to happen for him in the future both on and off the ice. I get that it is a learning process. I just don't think his father needed to comment on it.

Feel bad for all involved. People were pretty excited to land a team in the Flint area and the Owner is just crushing this thing. Reports are Bitten isn't alone in terms of he will not be there next year. The Wings are pulling the plug on Vili there according to most reports. Honestly if I was them I would ship him to Grand Rapids tomorrow and get him away from that toxic environment. Because of how he was drafted they can end that experiment whenever they want is my understanding. Poor Bitten will have to wait into the off-season.
I don't think an owner is going to insist his son gets playing time at the NHL level, a team in this big shambles I don't think execs will hold it against him.

Also, I'm not sure an NHL team can recall a guy back from the CHL, then send him to an NHL affiliated league (AHL/CHL), til that teams season is over. What they may be able to do is have him cancel his contract with Flint then loan him to an overseas team til Flints season ends then send him to GR.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

I hear you, but the kid is only human. It would be beyond unreasonable for NHL staff to equate that stretch for Bitten with some sort of lack of internal fortitude. If anything, it's more impressive that he is having a solid season in the midst of such a s***show. Draft year brings a lot of pressure to kids. This just multiplies that, and he's still navigating it well. Impressive

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Carolina was always a decent bet to draft guys from Plymouth since they owned that franchise until recently (and they relocated to Flint). They have LA's 1st and their own 2nd which seems to be in the ballpark for Bitten.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad