Prospect Info: C/W Jiri Kulich, 28th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft; recalled 11/25/23, assigned 11/29/23

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Amerks Assistant Vinny Prospal:

"Where I see him personally (sigh/shoulder shrug), I see him at center, you know. That's why I want him to improve the faceoffs, because I think on the wall he is a little stuck. But that's just my opinion.....but that's how I see him. I see him as a center."
Vinny was one of my favorites when he played. He changed his game as he aged and stayed relevant for a long time, which is why I respect his opinion so much.

The fact that my love of hockey peaked when he was in the last chunk of his great career probably has a lot to do with it too.

Sounds like Kulich has the same problem as a lot of Buffalo Sabres have had these past few generations - can’t win puck battles along the boards. Here’s to hoping he can play center so he can get his value back up.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Interesting, I think they said he didn't look very good at center. How is he doing in his two-way game and defense in general? It turns out that the camp can have five players at once who can claim the role of 3C.

Vinny Prospal also said this:

"Is he an NHL player right now? I don't know. Maybe he'll come in here and tear it apart and grab a spot. I don't know."

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

"Is he an NHL player right now? I don't know

"Is he an NHL player right now? I don't know. Maybe he'll come in here and tear it apart and grab a spot."
He’d be in hot water with Adams if he said “no.” There’s no way any development coach would ever say that publicly.

But he’s basically saying “no” here.

Reactions: Jacob582

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

"Is he an NHL player right now? I don't know. Maybe he'll come in here and tear it apart and grab a spot. I don't know."
That's right, they can't just give that spot to Krebs because he hasn't earned it. Any of our young C players could surprise and earn that spot.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Lower than it was heading into last season
Eh. He's still a top 25 prospect in the league. One of the best u20 scorers in the world.

Prospal's comments were misinterpreted, hopefully not willfully. He might work better in space at C to get his shot off. That doesn't mean he can't win puck battles along the boards (based on a 19yo season in the AHL).

He's been relatively durable. He hasn't completely flunked out of the C experiment. His production remained excellent in WJC and AHL, even while working through some midseason doldrums that are entirely common for a 19yo and necessary to progress.

If he's a center, he's still trending as a middle six puck hound that's average defensively with one of the best shots in the world. If he's a wing, he still has a very high ceiling as a top six sniper.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Eh. He's still a top 25 prospect in the league. One of the best u20 scorers in the world.

Prospal's comments were misinterpreted, hopefully not willfully. He might work better in space at C to get his shot off. That doesn't mean he can't win puck battles along the boards (based on a 19yo season in the AHL).

He's been relatively durable. He hasn't completely flunked out of the C experiment. His production remained excellent in WJC and AHL, even while working through some midseason doldrums that are entirely common for a 19yo and necessary to progress.

If he's a center, he's still trending as a middle six puck hound that's average defensively with one of the best shots in the world. If he's a wing, he still has a very high ceiling as a top six sniper.
This isn’t the first time he’s talked about Kulich - Appert has said similar things too.

He’s fine, still a top prospect for the team but he may fall out of buffalo’s top 5 soon, with Whalberg and Rosen’s development, and Helenius entering the fold.

He isn’t anywhere near the top 25 prospects in the league for me personally.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
This isn’t the first time he’s talked about Kulich - Appert has said similar things too.

He’s fine, still a top prospect for the team but he may fall out of buffalo’s top 5 soon, with Whalberg and Rosen’s development, and Helenius entering the fold.

He isn’t anywhere near the top 25 prospects in the league for me personally.
Curious to see the upcoming prospect poll, I think you're well in the minority. This season would have to go very poorly for Kulich to get passed by Rosen or Wahlberg (or incredibly well for them).

Pros who cover prospects all still have him top 25 (20 mostly) but we'll see if enough shiny new toys from the 2024 draft push him down.

Being down on a solidly built, strong skating 19yo maybe center who did 27-18-45 in 57 AHL GP might be the epitome of Sabres doom. Is he a sure thing? Of course not, but he's probably in the 75th percentile of what he could have done since being drafted.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If Prospal’s comments are indicative of how the organization feels about him. Then there is no way he is on the NHL roster to start the season.
If Kulich really wants to be a center then he should want to be in the AHL again. (As in, he's not ready)

But we know that's not how it works.

Reactions: joshjull

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
If Kulich really wants to be a center then he should want to be in the AHL again. (As in, he's not ready)

But we know that's not how it works.
A third year for Kulich in the AHL seems like a tough one to swallow for him. At some point he has to show he is ready. 20 year old Kulich doesn't seem much better than 18 year old Kulich. I feel like Savoie is more NHL ready but it would also be great to see him get a year in the AHL.

I think a spot is up for grabs between Kulich, Savoie or Rosen and its a matter of who performs best in the preseason.

Reactions: allsilverdreams

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
A third year for Kulich in the AHL seems like a tough one to swallow for him. At some point he has to show he is ready. 20 year old Kulich doesn't seem much better than 18 year old Kulich. I feel like Savoie is more NHL ready but it would also be great to see him get a year in the AHL.

I think a spot is up for grabs between Kulich, Savoie or Rosen and its a matter of who performs best in the preseason.
I don't believe a spot is open this year for anyone.Unless they have a great preseason.
Next year will be a different story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad