C/W Elmer Söderblom - Grand Rapids Griffins, AHL (2019, 159th, DET)

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
SHL Spotlight: Elmer Söderblom

Elmer Söderblom is off to a great start in his second "real" season in the SHL. In this edition of the "SHL Spotlight" series, he shares his thoughts on Frölunda as an organization, the league, his own play and much more.

The Player

And using his big stature, 6'8", 220 lbs, he's making the opposing d-men work hard, often moving in from the wing to wreak havoc in front of the net. And if you've watched him play, you know he does it in a very smooth way. How is that? Well, he has been playing hockey for most of his life, but he also did Greco-Roman wrestling with his brother Arvid when he was younger.
"Hockey was our primary sport. I've been playing soccer as well. But I did wrestle for a few years I think it was our dad who saw the benefits from it... he says, realizing there was another reason as well: "Or..we were fighting a lot, me and Arvid. So we thought it could be a good thing for us. The physical training of wrestling is very good and you do get your body in order and you practice controlling your body in another way. So, yeah, I guess it has played a role"

Speaking of the future. Elmer Söderblom was drafted by the Detroit Red Wings in the sixth round, 159th overall, back in 2019. Does he dare to dream of the NHL?
"Yeah, of course one can dream. But at the same time, you need to focus on what's here and now. I take one day at a time," he says.
I ask if he is in touch with the Red Wings organization.
"Yeah, Niklas Kronwall has been in Sweden quite a lot so we've been talking some. I get the feeling they've got a good feel for where their prospects are at," he says.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I'm beginning to think that Elmer is NHL ready...

He is very highly rated among the Redwings Swedish prospects and at 6'8 220 lbs can more than handle the physical demands of the NHL.

Interestingly today he crushed one of our other much smaller prospects Albert Johansson with a legit hit. Fortunately the latter didn't get hurt and got up no worse for wear.

Last edited:

Morten

May 24, 2014
great goal tonight, looks way more dominant than Raymond ever did in the SHL, probably cause of his size

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I will never question a Steve Yzerman draft pick. If we get first overall and Rutger McGroarty or someone like that is the pick I'm all on board

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Insane what success we’ve had from the SHL so far. Seider, Raymond, Edvinsson, Soderblom, etc. Has any team EVER pushed through that much talent in just a few years in the SHL before? I’m assuming the latter two don’t completely bust but still possible of course.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Insane what success we’ve had from the SHL so far. Seider, Raymond, Edvinsson, Soderblom, etc. Has any team EVER pushed through that much talent in just a few years in the SHL before? I’m assuming the latter two don’t completely bust but still possible of course.

Ottawa around the Karlsson draft is the best I can think of

drafted Karlsson out of Sweden then the next year Silfverberg and Lehner then the next year Marcus Sorensen(kinda a nobody but played 226 NHL games) then the next year Zibanejad and Fredrik Claesson(kinda a nobody but played 164 NHL games)

Zibanejad was the only top 10 pick in that list too

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

...Wallinder, Albert Johansson...

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
Steve Yzerman trusts Hakan Andersson impicitly. And with good reason. Hakan was one of the chief architects for the DRW's Cup winning teams. Those rosters were littered with guys Hakan scouted.

It's absolutely no surprise that Hakan is also going to be instrumental in this rebuild. They needs lots of talent, and they need it fast. Who better to turn to than the guy who's proven it over and over?

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago

Soderblom is starting to look unstoppable in the SHL. I frankly find it hard understanding how such a tall player at 6'8" can stickhandle the puck that well against so many defenders all by himself and score so easily and he has done it again and again.

And to think the Redwings got him from the 6th round 159th overall in the NHL draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeadStop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad