C Samuel Helenius - JYP Jyväskylä, Liiga (2021, 59th, LAK)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Pretty sure skating won't be problem. His skating is right now decent. Never going to be fastest guy, but i dont really see that he isn't going to get in NHL because of skating
We will see. Quite a few big players do have problems in modern NHL in speed.
Good example is that Ranger winger. Gauthier if I wrote it right. 97 born training his skating but still lacks in NHL.
And yes. Skating was his strenght as a junior.

But yes. Lets see and hope for a best!

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Not likely. The wings have drafted fewer finns than any team in the league except the Knights.

Red Wings are drafting more finns nowadays: Eemil Viro(2020, 3rd round), Antti Tuomisto(2019, 2nd rd), Otto Kivenmäki(2018, 7th rd), Kasper Kotkansalo(2017, 3rd rd), Vili Saarijärvi(2015, 3rd rd), Julius Vähätalo(2014, 6th rd) and hopefully Samuel Helenius 2021

Capitals don't like finnish players at all.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We will see. Quite a few big players do have problems in modern NHL in speed.
Good example is that Ranger winger. Gauthier if I wrote it right. 97 born training his skating but still lacks in NHL.
And yes. Skating was his strenght as a junior.

But yes. Lets see and hope for a best!

I don’t know what you are watching. Gauthier is one of the best skaters in the league. His size/skating is the best part of his game.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Still projected as a late second-third rounder? Ideal target for the Rangers in my opinion. A team built with skill on the wings can use a space creator/plumber at the pivot.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
i would absolutely love him as an islanders pick in the 2nd round. kid is massive, he looks sturdy on the puck, and the B6 role of his size is badly needed down the road

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Do you think he falls a bit simply because of how JYP played, or how he was playing? 6'6 is a very big frame and leaves a lot to be desired

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Acquired in the off-season from Jokerit, Samuel Helenius was part of JYP in the Finnish SM Liiga, playing against men. He got decent minutes for the team but was often used in a defensive role. Helenius put up seven goals and 14 points in 54 games. He joined Team Finland at the IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships, where he was again used in a checking line role. Helenius scored two goals and two assists for four points in seven tournament games. Helenius helped Finland to a bronze medal.

In 2019-20 Helenius played for Jokerit’s team in the Under-20 league. In 51 games, Helenius scored 13 goals and 11 assists for 24 points. He also played in one playoff game before the season was cancelled due to the start of the pandemic. Helenius also played one game in the Under-18 league, picking up one goal. He also played 12 games for the Finnish Under-18 team in various exhibition games. Helenius scored just two goals in those games. His father Sami Helenius played in the NHL for the Calgary Flames, Chicago Blackhawks, Dallas Stars, and Colorado Avalanche. His older brother, Sasu, is a defenceman in the lower divisions of Finnish hockey.

2021 NHL Draft #60: Samuel Helenius Scouting Report

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Sandpaper. I'm here for it.
Helenius is promising player but i'm not sure is he enough good to play NHL.

Helenius is not highly scoring oriented and he won't never win any scoring titles.
Probably Helenius ends up bottom 6 shutdown C who can create little offense.

Skating is huge weakness ( Helenius is slow skater ) and that can hold him back.
But if Helenius can become even mediocre or passable skater that's great for a player of his size.

Scoring is not Helenius's calling card but physical game is.
Samuel loves play hard and if there is chance he don't hesitate to share heavy and big hits
and throw his body around Helenius is also good near to the boards thanks for his size
which makes him hard to win in a board battles.

Yes 14 points in 54 SM liiga games
in weak liiga team like JYP last season ( 2020-2021 ) is fine performance.

Helenius is at least 3-4 yrs away of NHL and he needs at least two more seasons in SM liiga
and 1 season in AHL before NHL debut.

Hopefully La Kings do not hurry Samuel Helenius.
Let him develop his own pace before bringing him to NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad