C Ryan Smith - Tri-City Storm, USHL (2024 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The only 2024 draft-eligible on the US Hlinka team. He didn't have more than an average tournament, but I thought he showed some potential. You see above-average puck skills, good hockey sense, and he competes, but he's physically lacking right now. Only about 5'10 and I don't love his skating. Has early round potential, but it'd help his draft status if he wasn't 5'10 167, his current listed height/weight, by the time of the draft. Committed to UMass.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Had 11 points in 32 games this past season. Probably will get a bigger role with Tri-City next season. I'm not totally convinced about this guy, but he has a reasonable chance of being picked next year.

My scouting report from his USHL season.

No real different thoughts from the summer tournament. Let’s see what his draft season is like. He’s a smaller forward with some offense, good enough skating and compete level. Not elite at anything, but not notably weak at anything other than being 5’10. Likely a pick. As of now, probably more of a mid-round/late-round pick, but if he has a big draft season, he could move up. Could also move down and not get picked if he doesn’t get better.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My review of what I've watched from him this season. Has 19+13=32 points in 44 games.
I’ve liked his game a lot over the last few years in the USHL and for USAH, but I think there’s a real question if he has the size and speed to be drafted. He’s a 5’9 center with average skating for 5’9. He's seemingly shrunk from previous seasons because he was previously listed at 5'10, and now the listings have him at 5'9. He has very good hockey sense, and is pretty competitive with above-average skill. His scoring is pretty good too, but I don’t think I see clear NHL quality offense and then at 5’9 with average speed you have to wonder if he has a clear role in the NHL. He has a chance to be drafted though, and I would endorse him as a draft pick. Committed to Quinnipiac for next season, which he switched to from UMass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad