C Quinton Byfield (2020, 2nd, LAK) part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So let me get this straight, it’s more of a dissapointment to score PPG in U20 cause most of the points came in one game than to get cut from the tournament entirely?

And he was 4th in scoring for his team in U17 with 3 points in 5 games, while being almost 6months younger than most of the players.

That's really been my beef with the rhetoric. People are treating it as if he had to dominate, or was terrible, with no in between. Quoted poster called it 'poor.' Those aren't the words I'd use. I just don't get how one could watch anything but the box score and come away with the evaluation that he was 'poor' or as one poster put it so bad he shouldn't even be invited to next year's team.

Do I think the lack of dominance is a concern? Sorta, but more for the reasons that it's clear he wasn't dominant--he appeared to be comfortable with a checking role and didn't take the bull by the horns to be 'the guy' with the puck like he does in Sudbury. Does that mean he can't? Seems like some posters are absolutely sure of it.

I don't think he was dominant, but there's a ton of grey area between that and 'bad.' I don't think he was bad in a way that I'm super concerned and I think it's important to see what happens after his first pro camp under Kopitar and LA's great development staff. Playing against men, imo, is going to be GREAT for him, instead of against kids who want nothing to do with his physical contact, he's going to be playing with/against people more his size with pro checking ability and the desire to smash him.

Last edited:

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Having Radek Bonk in the organization for 10 years cant be painful either.
So you’ll be fine with Byfield turning in to Bonk who’s very best season had him 51st in the NHL in scoring? Great guy, but certainly not what you hope for from a #3 overall. His best season he produced at 53pts, that same year Jagr had 96 and Bure scored 58 goals alone.

Notice how you ignored the point of the post about the “lanky” 220lb guy playing against 180lb peers.

carry on, as I mentioned good luck I hope he works out but you don’t help yourself cherry picking

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
So you’ll be fine with Byfield turning in to Bonk who’s very best season had him 51st in the NHL in scoring? Great guy, but certainly not what you hope for from a #3 overall. His best season he produced at 53pts, that same year Jagr had 93 and Bure scored 58 goals alone.

Notice how you ignored the point of the post about the “lanky” 220lb guy playing against 180lb peers
Dont put words in my mouth.

For that time and that draft, Bonk was hardly a horrible pick. He played for Ottawa for a decade. If that is painful, ok, I guess you have high standards.

No idea why you think I will be fine with Byfield turning into another Bonk, nor what you mean with your last sentence.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Dont put words in my mouth.

For that time and that draft, Bonk was hardly a horrible pick. No idea why you come up with a Byfield comparison, nor what you mean with your last sentence.

I never said he was horrible but he sure wasn’t what was hoped and expected. If you don’t see how that would be a comparison I don’t know what to say.

next time I’ll just say Byfield sucks and won’t go beyond the 4th line rather than being objective, doesn’t seem to work

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I never said he was horrible but he sure wasn’t what was hoped and expected. If you don’t see how that would be a comparison I don’t know what to say.

next time I’ll just say Byfield sucks and won’t go beyond the 4th line rather than being objective, doesn’t seem to work
Look at that draft, who were better options ? I just dont think Radek Bonk is a good example, no.

No need to get excited.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I’m not sure the argument of him being a tall lanky kid is valid. He’s 220lbs, likely plays in the NHL at 230ish, not much more. So he won’t fill out a ton further or the speed which is an important part of his game will go away. His peers in the best on best tournaments are giving up massive size differential which won’t be the case in the NHL.

On the positive side if he can develop a mean streak he could impose his will. There are valid concerns that he has never done this against much physically smaller players and starting while you are on an equal physical footing will take a lot of coaching.

As a sens fan I’m hoping he develops, we’ve went through pains with Daigle, Bonk, Berard, Philips, etc as high end picks who never reached that top line potential. All good players in their right just not what you expect when picking top 3. We also had the Yashin’s who although a true top line player his desire and greed never allowed him to materialize long term. I don’t believe Byfield is a Yashin but am concerned he ever becomes a top liner

Byfield is a nice kid but he plays like he's Cole Perfetti's size.

I've played with a lot of guys that are like that and had a couple of coaches who tried to awaken the beast in them, but most of the time those guys just didn't have that kind of aggression in their game. Just because a dude is big doesn't mean he's going to become Eric Lindros. That smash or be smashed attitude is something a hockey player either has or doesn't have. I don't think Byfield has that in his game.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
As a King's fan, I pinky swear that I am not concerned for his pro future that he hasn't scored gobs of points in tournaments to date.

I also pinky swear that I do not care about team Canada and any of its fans who feel "disappointed" by his performance.

Finally, I pinky swear I don't care about concern trolls who post multiple times on a single page telling met that I should care.

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
I trust LA's development system to make sure that they will get as close to the best out of the Byfield and if they aren't able to do it in the span of a few years starting now, then I would be concerned about him becoming a bust. Anything that does not have to do with him playing games with the Kings or any other team affiliated in their system, it's whatever and I'm not going to concerned about it.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So let me get this straight, it’s more of a dissapointment to score PPG in U20 cause most of the points came in one game than to get cut from the tournament entirely?

And he was 4th in scoring for his team in U17 with 3 points in 5 games, while being almost 6months younger than most of the players.
4th in his team in scoring for a player who is expected to be the best or second best player IN THE WORLD for his age class is not good, its was reported back then that he wasn't good, not sure why youre changing that now.

And no its good he made the WJC team at 17, it's not good that hes been bad at every tournament before that, and was not good at 18 when players pf his pedigree at 18 typically shine. Again this isnt calling him a bust, it is a fact

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Again, apparently those tournaments weren’t that bad or not that much of importance according to the top scouts while he was still rated a top pick THREE months ago.

When he fails to produce at a pro level, than the concerns should be starting. Thats not because he is a LA prospect, that is what I am saying for years already. I can be excited about junior stats too but thats about it.

Actually it was a concern... Before the tournament he was viewed as a potential #1 pick and would battle out with Lafreniere... Fast forward to today and it's a big argument if he should have even gone 2nd because Stutzle has potentially passed him. This drop in status dropped after the WJC last season

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
4th in his team in scoring for a player who is expected to be the best or second best player IN THE WORLD for his age class is not good, its was reported back then that he wasn't good, not sure why youre changing that now.

And no its good he made the WJC team at 17, it's not good that hes been bad at every tournament before that, and was not good at 18 when players pf his pedigree at 18 typically shine. Again this isnt calling him a bust, it is a fact

Players of his pedigree aren't typically assigned to barely double digit minutes on the deep checking lines with rotating linemates either.

I don't like people going "well you expect more from 2nd OA" but if you play him like he's some random banger you can't complain that he didn't save you from yourself either.

And again that's not an excuse, everyone wanted more production, but let's not pretend he was force-fed offensive opportunities and repeatedly failed.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Actually it was a concern... Before the tournament he was viewed as a potential #1 pick and would battle out with Lafreniere... Fast forward to today and it's a big argument if he should have even gone 2nd because Stutzle has potentially passed him. This drop in status dropped after the WJC last season
Sure...

If you had said this earlier, I would have known you are just here to stir things up and had not waste any time on you.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Players of his pedigree aren't typically assigned to barely double digit minutes on the deep checking lines with rotating linemates either.

I don't like people going "well you expect more from 2nd OA" but if you play him like he's some random banger you can't complain that he didn't save you from yourself either.

And again that's not an excuse, everyone wanted more production, but let's not pretend he was force-fed offensive opportunities and repeatedly failed.
Quite true. He didn't have a great tournament but also wasn't put in a position to put up big numbers. Let's see how he does in camp (whenever he takes the ice) and the rest of the season.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Are we expecting QB to make the Kings this season? I’m hoping for his sake he doesn’t, and they find a better level for him to play at. I just see another Kakko and Hughes year coming, and those types of struggles aren’t good for development.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Sure...

If you had said this earlier, I would have known you are just here to stir things up and had not waste any time on you.

It might be slight hyperbole, but there is certainly some reality to it. The narrative throughout the tournament was that while there was very little doubt about Lafreniere going 1st, he erased any doubts throughout the tournament. That was more to do with Lafreniere's excellent play than anything, but if Byfield had been 2nd fiddle, rather than a depth piece, the argument may have still remained.

That said, I'm not here to critique Byfield. He is an elite prospect with an elite toolkit, and I firmly believe that his competitive nature will push him to be a very good NHLer at the very least. Will he dominate physically on every shift? Probably not, but I think he will learn to use his body as a compliment to his skill and skating over the next 5 years and come out at the other end as a very unique player. No point comparing him to other guys, imo... even if he's not the 2nd best player from his draft, he will be an important part of the Kings for a long time and has every chance to be a high impact guy.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Are we expecting QB to make the Kings this season? I’m hoping for his sake he doesn’t, and they find a better level for him to play at. I just see another Kakko and Hughes year coming, and those types of struggles aren’t good for development.

No, not at all. He MIGHT get 6 games depending on what's happening with junior leagues. If those are canceled, then AHL, which would be fantastic imo.

It might be slight hyperbole, but there is certainly some reality to it. The narrative throughout the tournament was that while there was very little doubt about Lafreniere going 1st, he erased any doubts throughout the tournament. That was more to do with Lafreniere's excellent play than anything, but if Byfield had been 2nd fiddle, rather than a depth piece, the argument may have still remained.

That said, I'm not here to critique Byfield. He is an elite prospect with an elite toolkit, and I firmly believe that his competitive nature will push him to be a very good NHLer at the very least. Will he dominate physically on every shift? Probably not, but I think he will learn to use his body as a compliment to his skill and skating over the next 5 years and come out at the other end as a very unique player. No point comparing him to other guys, imo... even if he's not the 2nd best player from his draft, he will be an important part of the Kings for a long time and has every chance to be a high impact guy.

I said it on our forum as well but he also doesn't have to be a banger to be physical. I think of Kopitar who is physical as hell by shielding/absorbing contact, just straight wearing people down. And I think of other huge skill players, like Wheeler, who did really take a while to come into their own. I imagine now that's going to be more of his trajectory, maybe a few less years. Spend a couple of years really ramping up then when at full man strength, watch out. But I agree comparables are tough, even stylistically. He's pretty unique.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I said it on our forum as well but he also doesn't have to be a banger to be physical. I think of Kopitar who is physical as hell by shielding/absorbing contact, just straight wearing people down. And I think of other huge skill players, like Wheeler, who did really take a while to come into their own. I imagine now that's going to be more of his trajectory, maybe a few less years. Spend a couple of years really ramping up then when at full man strength, watch out. But I agree comparables are tough, even stylistically. He's pretty unique.

Agreed 100% - and there are legitimate upsides to that style of play too (longevity, health). People think of physicality as laying guys out when, in reality, the most practical use of strength is shielding the puck, establishing body position, wearing guys down, and making yourself into a more accessible target for your teammates. I think Byfield can get there quicker than Wheeler, and if he entered the league right after the lockout like Kopitar did, I think he might be able to make a good offensive impact right away. But Kopitar wouldnt have the success he had back then if he entered the league right away, imo, and even Kopitar - one of the most successful big man transitions in recent memory - took some time to adjust.

Byfield may require more patience than the typical top 2 pick, but you see a lot of guys drafted high who burst onto the scenes but never develop a ton beyond that point. Byfield may not burst, but he will continue to develop significantly, year over year, for much longer than the average guy imo. Personally, I dont think anyone in the top 6 will be less than thrilled with the player they ended up with (not to say that guys picked after wont be great too... I am just very gung ho on the entire top 6).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
AHL would be a good place to go for Byfield.. I don't think the OHL does what he needs now. If those signed under age players (re CHL) can be assigned there it will be great for Byfield... No way he's NHL ready... A couple years in the AHL should be good for him

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
AHL would be a good place to go for Byfield.. I don't think the OHL does what he needs now. If those signed under age players (re CHL) can be assigned there it will be great for Byfield... No way he's NHL ready... A couple years in the AHL should be good for him

I believe they can only play AHL until the OHL starts up. When I thought Byfield was going to end up in Ottawa, my ideal scenario for him would have been spending the year somewhere in Europe, like Matthews did in his pre-draft season. Given the structure this season will follow, though, I think there is some merit to playing him in the AHL for as long as is allowed and then bringing him up to the NHL. If he can't hang, send him down to the OHL for a nice playoff run.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I believe they can only play AHL until the OHL starts up. When I thought Byfield was going to end up in Ottawa, my ideal scenario for him would have been spending the year somewhere in Europe, like Matthews did in his pre-draft season. Given the structure this season will follow, though, I think there is some merit to playing him in the AHL for as long as is allowed and then bringing him up to the NHL. If he can't hang, send him down to the OHL for a nice playoff run.
My point was based on the OHL not starting up

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Uhhh that's kind of a fact. Read the Byfield thread on HF or the many articles at the start of the 19/20 season saying Byfield could overtake Lafreniere as the #1pick. This stopped being true after the WJC that year.

Could Quinton Byfield leapfrog Lafreniere for first overall pick? - Sportsnet.ca

Here's one for you already.
A fact, due to a Byfield thread on HF. :thumbu: Lovely.

“Could overtake” is quite a reach and we weren’t talking about the stars of the 19/20 season. As nice as it would be, Lafreniere was going 1st. No idea why you make things up. He was rated 1st everywhere and nobody with common sense thought otherwise.

It might be slight hyperbole, but there is certainly some reality to it.
Slight hyperbole and some reality are two different things.

Last edited:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
At 18 and playing limited minutes sometimes it is hard to get their game and legs going. Byfield is use to maximum TOI and PP + PK. I see Perfetti in the same situation, oh to small, can't skate but when the chips were down Quinton+Cole played well in the 3rd. Tourney has to take some credit for getting out coached. If your favorites are not going then get em going or mix it up like he did in the 3rd. Levi was solid. The PP looked stangnent because lack of movement. Easy to stop a PP if nobody is moving to the open area.
Quinton will be a future star but needs to be taught how to maximize his game over the next 1.5 years. Whether it is AHL which is best fit for him, however, rules would need to change in order for that to happen. Not just Byfield but many other D+1 or D+2 players benefit from AHL experience if allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad