C Oliver Kapanen - Timra, SHL (2021, 64th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I'm pretty sure that he or his agent said that he is gonna get signed this season, but he will play in Timrå if he doesn't make to Canadiens roster from the training camp. Right now I wouldn't be surprised if he'd make the team, but odds are against it, and it would propably be the right move play one more season in Europe since AHL isn't possibility.

Wait, why isn't AHL possible for him?

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
This dude was SO GOOD in Liiga playoffs that if i was Habs GM i would sing him, then tell him to go to Timrå and bulk up. Which i guess is exactly what they are doing.

To me he was the best player in Liiga playoffs this year. The latter half of his season is something that isnt comparable to most 2nd round picks, but to those high 1st round picks from Finland.

Reactions: HabsQC and goforit

Leto

Feb 16, 2023

Translation : Kapanen would like to sign with MTL. Kent Hughes and Kapanen's agent met at the U18 and they both agreed to talk again after the WC. Hughes is positive about Kapanen's progress this year.​

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
He's a future top9 NHLer for me. One year, max two years in Timrå with Jokinen is enough. Then NHL after bulking up and playing in the SHL which should be just as of a big step towards NHL as AHL. At least for me after witnessing his strengths. His skating is good and a lot of those things that can make him excel in the NA. He's able to create his own space and finish.
Therefor I believe the SHL will be great for his development and even if he struggles there which is just as likely as he would succeed, i still believe it will be good for him in the long run and that he's capable of playing in the NHL in the future. Could be better than AHL imho. If he can develop anything like Lehkonen back in the days I will be thankful and excited.

Also, the Norway game wasn't a fluke. He's been consistent and been more than enough when others haven't. That together with his Liiga-playoffs is a very promising trend.

Last edited:

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Terrific pre-season debut for Kapanen tonight. 2 assists and just constantly making great decisions out there. Was also impressed by his puck protection and ability to win board battles. It's NHL or back to the SHL for him so I expect he will get several pre-season games to see where exactly he is at against more veteran laden NHL lineups.

Last edited:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
He's a future top9 NHLer for me. One year, max two years in Timrå with Jokinen is enough. Then NHL after bulking up and playing in the SHL which should be just as of a big step towards NHL as AHL. At least for me after witnessing his strengths. His skating is good and a lot of those things that can make him excel in the NA. He's able to create his own space and finish.
Therefor I believe the SHL will be great for his development and even if he struggles there which is just as likely as he would succeed, i still believe it will be good for him in the long run and that he's capable of playing in the NHL in the future. Could be better than AHL imho. If he can develop anything like Lehkonen back in the days I will be thankful and excited.

Also, the Norway game wasn't a fluke. He's been consistent and been more than enough when others haven't. That together with his Liiga-playoffs is a very promising trend.
He just had an absolutely terrific game vs the flyers. Looks like his floor is a 3C. We’ll see as preseason progresses, but I’m very impressed

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Another one from the Kapanen clan. Usually famous for their speed, they all inherited some amazing genetics in that sense. What they usually lack is IQ, but he seems to be an exception.

And the best part is that he seems very mature and level headed, quite the opposite of his older cousin. I think Montreal got themselves a real deal with Oliver!

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Another one from the Kapanen clan. Usually famous for their speed, they all inherited some amazing genetics in that sense. What they usually lack is IQ, but he seems to be an exception.

And the best part is that he seems very mature and level headed, quite the opposite of his older cousin. I think Montreal got themselves a real deal with Oliver!
His IQ baffled me

I thought he was a fringe 3C but he's got the IQ and two way game of a solid 2C

Reactions: karhukissa

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
He was amazing.
But... let's not forget that he's already in game shape and was playing against (and with) players who mostly weren't.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
He was amazing.
But... let's not forget that he's already in game shape and was playing against (and with) players who mostly weren't.
For sure.

We’ll see as camp goes along and he plays against more NHLers. Then see if he can be consistent for more than a couple of games.

But as of now he looks like he can easily become a regular.

Reactions: Dutronc

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
He was very impressive, but will the numbers game be against him to make it to MTL this year?

I mean, even if he makes it, who MSL will scratch to make space for him?

Dvorak?

I think he'll be sent back to Timra, there's worst place to develop than SHL...

Next year, with Dvorak, Armia and possibly Evans (I think they'll keep him) gone, there gonna be available spots for him.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I was thinking to send him back, but if he deserves a spot, it should be given to him.

Otherwise it messes with the culture the team is trying to implement.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I was thinking to send him back, but if he deserves a spot, it should be given to him.

Otherwise it messes with the culture the team is trying to implement.
Msl will not scratch Anderson Dvorak or Gallagher to start the season , there's no room unless we move evans , and there's no use having him at 4C , I suspect we trade DVO at the deadline though (if he has any value)

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
They’re not going to send back an nhl ready player back to sweden because of a numbers game

If he’s good enough to make the team he’ll make the team and they’ll figure out what to do with dvorak or evans

Evans makes 1.7 for this year only
Should be easy to move if they have to

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Msl will not scratch Anderson Dvorak or Gallagher to start the season , there's no room unless we move evans , and there's no use having him at 4C , I suspect we trade DVO at the deadline though (if he has any value)
A colleague of mine live on the same street as Evans parents and he said this summer that he expect to be traded by the end of the year. Might be sooner than expected

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011

I liked his creativity, even if he didn't have a clear pass open he always knew where to safely throw the puck to give us a good chance at keeping possession

A colleague of mine live on the same street as Evans parents and he said this summer that he expect to be traded by the end of the year. Might be sooner than expected
He should be traded, Beck projects as Evans 2.0, retain 50% on 1.7M and a contender will happily take Evans for the 4th line for league minimum

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
He should be traded, Beck projects as Evans 2.0, retain 50% on 1.7M and a contender will happily take Evans for the 4th line for league minimum
If Montreal is trying to compete for a playoff spot no one will be traded. It’s counter productive.

If we do end up selling at the TDL, you can bet Montreal will get a nice return for Evans even without retention. ~30 points 2 way C cost a lot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad