C Nolan Patrick (2017, 2nd, PHI) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
The hernia issues which I’m sure disrupted his summer were a concern coming into this year. He was pretty slow in the beginning of the year then he had a concussion which made him miss games. But he’s turned it around since January not just statistically but you can see it in his skating. He’s getting separation with quickness now that wasn’t there early in the season. He’s getting the usage now to do something with playing with Voracek at 5v5 & playing on top PP unit in Simmonds place while he’s out with an injury.

My hope for Patrick long term from the start has been a better defensively Monahan. This year really hasn’t changed that.
Patrick is already a pretty good NHL 2C and he's just starting to get his speed back. He reminds me of Jeff Carter in his rookie year: he is in such good position all the time it looks like he isn't doing much, then he gets the puck and makes perfect passes. He's getting more tenacious on the boards, he's getting more chances. In the next couple years he's going to get even stronger and be a really impactful centre - just as he was in Jr. We lucked out in the lottery.

Reactions: Fixxer and 99664987

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Patrick is already a pretty good NHL 2C and he's just starting to get his speed back. He reminds me of Jeff Carter in his rookie year: he is in such good position all the time it looks like he isn't doing much, then he gets the puck and makes perfect passes. He's getting more tenacious on the boards, he's getting more chances. In the next couple years he's going to get even stronger and be a really impactful centre - just as he was in Jr. We lucked out in the lottery.

He’s been good & filled the role the past two months but let’s see more first here before we treat him like that definite quality of player.

Reactions: whitstifier

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I made a new account on the forum shift. I think I’ve been a poster here 3? years, and I can honestly say that I have only ever seen you have good things to say about Americans - your recent commentary on DeBrincat comes to mind - and, when you do comment on prospects of other nationalities, it’s almost always to caution people away from being excited, point out issues, etc. If I’m incorrect - as I surely am, you know yourself better than I do - then I apologize, but I was just reacting to what I have seen.

again, just excuses....far reaching excuses...changed your account huh??? lol all good...

my recent comment on DeBrincat? what, that I was one of the few that "knew" he would make it to the NHL right away, and said it everywhere? Be a top rookie this year, which I stated as I ranked him in my top 5 American prospects? That he would be farther along if he had a coach who played him with talent each night? not following you on that.

But again, apparently you know all my posts, threads, etc over the past "now 3 years" you have been here. If you did know me, I don't go into any players thread that I do not follow, certainly do not go into any players threads trashing them either, regardless of nationality - if I post in it or create it like I did with guys like Ty Rattie, Curtis Lazar, Boone Jenner, etc, etc it is because I actually watched these kids play and enjoy commenting on them and praising them when they do good....if I follow a player and they struggle, I will post that too. I mainly focus on US players which is why I post on them...I am one of the few that actually posts on what he knows and not out his ass like most...but yeah from time to time I do watch one of those weird kids from Canada and comment on them as well...

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
again, just excuses....far reaching excuses...changed your account huh??? lol all good...

my recent comment on DeBrincat? what, that I was one of the few that "knew" he would make it to the NHL right away, and said it everywhere? Be a top rookie this year, which I stated as I ranked him in my top 5 American prospects? That he would be farther along if he had a coach who played him with talent each night? not following you on that.

But again, apparently you know all my posts, threads, etc over the past "now 3 years" you have been here. If you did know me, I don't go into any players thread that I do not follow, certainly do not go into any players threads trashing them either, regardless of nationality - if I post in it or create it like I did with guys like Ty Rattie, Curtis Lazar, Boone Jenner, etc, etc it is because I actually watched these kids play and enjoy commenting on them and praising them when they do good....if I follow a player and they struggle, I will post that too. I mainly focus on US players which is why I post on them...I am one of the few that actually posts on what he knows and not out his ass like most...but yeah from time to time I do watch one of those weird kids from Canada and comment on them as well...
Considering how far you’re taking things away from what I’ve said and how passive aggressive your response is, I feel I’ve struck a nerve. My first post was out of line, I don’t think that you’re some blind USA fan who would really consider Patrick to be the second coming after a good stretch. But I firmly believe my intent behind that comment. Just look at your response in the Ty Smith thread after he had a great game. You acknowledge the achievement, then go on to say “but his IQ man” and have to throw in “he’s below Hughes”. Those aren’t unreasonable statements and I’m just a sensitive little Canadian, but to suggest you have zero bias is absurd in my eyes.

If you want to play the unprovable doubt card on me, you say you watched Smith for a significant stretch, but then come in here and say he has low IQ; that’s exactly what has him as high as he is in draft rankings and what professional scouts and those who do watch him frequently rave about him for.

Anyways, I’ve said my piece, and apologized for stating my views only to have my credibility attacked in the way one would expect a middle schooler would respond to someone raising issues with them. I have no issues with you as a poster (in fact, I truly appreciate your insights and opinions, especially with prospects) other than the little bias I tried to initially make light of. I’m not trying to be all high and mighty here, and feel free to address any problems with this post, but I will not continue this conversation - which, again, I am probably in the wrong on - and clog up this thread any further.

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
I knew Nolan Patrick was good from the start and I say good for people saying when he scores or plays well because everyone was calling him a bust before and drooling over other players who aren't even in the NHL yet!

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
are you guys going to do this when he scores every time?? Saw a lot of silence when he didn't score for weeks at a time..

he is 26th overall in rookie scoring...26th....for a 2nd overall pick. I would stay pretty silent on him and hope he just shows up next year and plays like he needs to - not for a 12 game stretch but for the entire year.

hopefully he does as the game needs more and more offensive talent, but this has been a horrible year for Patrick and anyone saying otherwise is just being a blind homer...(yes I know of his injuries as well, not calling him a horrible player, just having a horrible year).

I am sure the attacks will come from Flyers fans, it is all good, wish the kid all the best, but he has a long long way to go.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
yeah, sure I would be advocating a player 26th overall in rookie scoring as the next superstar.

I don't know why I need to defend myself to you, as I have no clue who you are since I have been on here talking prospects and players for over a decade...but in your few months here have obviously got me pegged. I talk more **** about American players than anyone....annoyingly so to some.

I also have my name on plenty of young Canadian players threads that I started discussion on...but again, ya got me!!! when your player isn't scoring, and a poster has a different view of them, when in doubt just call on Nationalism as the reason why..lol...

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Kid has two things he had to prove to me to be a solid front line NHLer. Everyone that has watched him since he was 16 knows that he has amazing offensive ability but could he
(1) Stay Healthy
(2) Compete level in the NHL. Can he handle NHL speed and size

After watching the first 50 games its obvious only health concerns are going to prevent him from being a top tier NHL player. His compete level is there... the kid has made leaps and strides the past 15-20 games. He had 9 shots today 9. Voracek has taken him under his wing and you can see the results. Speed and shot has improved. Playmaking is very good. Wait until he gets more strength its really going to help him along the boards (which he is already good). This surge the Flyers are on is directly related to Konecny and Patrick becoming solid top 6 NHL players

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Kid has two things he had to prove to me to be a solid front line NHLer. Everyone that has watched him since he was 16 knows that he has amazing offensive ability but could he
(1) Stay Healthy
(2) Compete level in the NHL. Can he handle NHL speed and size

After watching the first 50 games its obvious only health concerns are going to prevent him from being a top tier NHL player. His compete level is there... the kid has made leaps and strides the past 15-20 games. He had 9 shots today 9. Voracek has taken him under his wing and you can see the results. Speed and shot has improved. Playmaking is very good. Wait until he gets more strength its really going to help him along the boards (which he is already good). This surge the Flyers are on is directly related to Konecny and Patrick becoming solid top 6 NHL players

Good post, it reminds me of our 06-07 season watching Richards and Carter slowly develop, you could see the talent is there. The guy is an gonna he an absolute monster along the wall, has soft hands and a great shot. So excited to see what the future holds for him.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
On me, my bad. To get back on topic:

Philly fans, how would you comment on Patrick’s defensive game/his progression in that regard this year?
Patrick's defensive game has been solid all year, even before he had recovered from his surgery and got his speed back. He might not be Couts as a rookie, but he is very good on D - in the right spots and on the right side of the puck.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
1 G & 1 A today.

7 goals and 4 assists in his last 16 games.

There is a reason he was picked as high as he was despite injury and a bit of an off year as a result last year. Kid can play and will be a very good NHL player. He will have a full offseason and a chance to stretch his legs next year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Also of note, he and Lindblom have been creating some great chemistry but have had no luck. If that line stays together, watch for Patrick to get more points via Lindblom.

And just look at the difference in shots:

first 42 games: 1 game with more than 3 shots, 5 games with more than 2 shots
Last 14 games: 6 games with more than 3 shots

Or look at icetime:

Up to Jan, no games over 15 minutes and only 2 over 14 minutes
Since Jan 1, 17 games over 14 minutes, and 5 games over 18 minutes

As we said, he turned the corner starting in the new year, but was not getting lucky. Last game in January, he started to get rewarded for his play and has not looked back.

Yet some dumb people think he should be beating up on teenagers instead.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Thrilled that he has excelled with additional opportunity since Wayne has been gone.

There was always a ceiling in regards to his output this year due to team situation.
I put his rookie situation similar to that of Tyler Seguin IE minutes limited due to going to a team with players in their prime so far ahead of him on the depth chart.

IMO if he were playing for a Buffalo or a team who actually should've been picking Top 2 last year and could have afforded him minutes and opportunity from the get go, his point total would likely be doubled if not more.

I'm happy for Nico and Nolan after the beating most of the experts put on them for being the main players in "the worst draft EVER OF ALL TIME."

besser

Dec 27, 2017
Vancouver
There is one (1) thread on the main “NHL talk” forum as of now that relates at all to the Leafs, and it’s a simple question about whether Matthews or Laine will have more goals this season.
For now. It’ll change soon. Quote me on that.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
are you guys going to do this when he scores every time??

Has picked up 2 assists since my last post, now has 13 points in his last 18 games (a 60 point pace). Take a gander at these stunning displays of merely average hockey IQ:

It's a shame the Flyers have ruined him by not sending him back to juniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad