C Matthew Savoie - Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL (2022, 9th, BUF, traded to EDM) - PART 2

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Vegas used their prospects to fund their NHL acquisitions. If they have a prospect, it is likely that they will utilize that value to improve their roster rather than wait on a prospect timeline.
But they also have every NHL player out there who never puts Vegas in the No Trade Claude of their contract, that makes a BIG difference.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
But they also have every NHL player out there who never puts Vegas in the No Trade Claude of their contract, that makes a BIG difference.

The Athletic survey two years ago actually mentioned that Vegas is getting onto some of those lists because agents see the singular pursuit of the Cup creating situations where players are moved.

But they do have a persuasive argument in that they are committed to trying to win right now, this season, and each of the previous seasons since their surprise arrival. It’s a philosophical approach to how they ice a team. It’s impressive from afar, though one understands not getting sentimentally attached to anyone on that roster.

Now back to Matt…

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
The Athletic survey two years ago actually mentioned that Vegas is getting onto some of those lists because agents see the singular pursuit of the Cup creating situations where players are moved.

But they do have a persuasive argument in that they are committed to trying to win right now, this season, and each of the previous seasons since their surprise arrival. It’s a philosophical approach to how they ice a team. It’s impressive from afar, though one understands not getting sentimentally attached to anyone on that roster.

Now back to Matt…
Would like to read if you have the link, interesting. But I'm willing to guess that Winnipeg has the largest percentage of Teams on the No Trade list, and that does hurt them over time.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It seems like a weird trade, and it becomes even more odd when you see how Hockey Canada treated Savoie on his way up. Makes oyu wonder if theres more to the story with him or something

Lannes

🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱
May 5, 2024
Neither scenario seems plausible. More likely, Sabres have half a dozen Savoies either in the NHLor getting close.

What they don't have on the NHL roster are players like McLeod that have experience and are capable of playing harder minutes. (Having been to the Stanley Cup final doesn't hurt either).

Bill Zito was explaining this type of move in his press conference the other day. Sometimes trading a Maserati for an SUV makes sense if that's what your team needs.

Unfortunately he was definitely not traded for an SUV.

DougBodger

Sep 24, 2023
It seems like a weird trade, and it becomes even more odd when you see how Hockey Canada treated Savoie on his way up. Makes oyu wonder if theres more to the story with him or something

There was a lot of smoke about an incident with Krebs last season the night before Savoie got his only game. He played for 5 minutes and was sent to the AHL the next morning.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
For the most part, I don’t care where a player is born when looking at them as a prospect. I don’t know where Connor McDavid was born, and I sure as hell don’t know where Savoie was born, I just know he’s from the west.

When I look at a player, I evaluate what they do on the ice. Not what hospital they were born in. For Savoie, I see a junior scorer that peaked early and hasn’t added anything of substance to his game since being drafted. I see a player that might be able to carve out a role as a be a top-6 power play scorer, but not much else, maybe Mike Hoffman as a ceiling. Which is okay, but he’s not a guy I want to try to win with.
Savoie is still a much better prospect than Hoffman ever was and even if you aren't keen on Savoie that's a bad take.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
This could be the next Reinhart for Barzal esque trade

well that's an overstatement don't you think as McLeod is actually a decent NHL player not a guy who can't play.
Seems really horrific for the Sabres
Sure maybe but they have too many forward prospects and really cant keep them all so getting a good 3rd line center when they are on the cusp of making the playoffs isn't the end of the world for them.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
well that's an overstatement don't you think as McLeod is actually a decent NHL player not a guy who can't play.

Sure maybe but they have too many forward prospects and really cant keep them all so getting a good 3rd line center when they are on the cusp of making the playoffs isn't the end of the world for them.
I see McLeod being a derek ryan type player for his career.

4th liner who can give 20-30 pts and has a nice bottom 6 game

He isnt a guy you actively go out and deal for when your still not a contender and definately not a guy to deal a prospect with ppg potential for.

Lets see how McLeod does away from EDM. Maybe he blossoms with more opportunities and better linemates

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

That's still a usefull type of player right?

and McLeod is more a peak Ryan guy a decent 3rd line center.

He isnt a guy you actively go out and deal for when your still not a contender and definately not a guy to deal a prospect with ppg potential for.

Well the Sabers seem to disagree as they are trying to make the playoffs.

but that being said my gut reaction was that this could be a huge steal for the Oilers but then I looked at it and the sabers simply don't ahve room for all of their forward prospects and obviously feel that shoring up their bottom 6 with more speed will help them over the hump.

if the sabers make the playoffs this year, and I think they will then it could very well turn into a win win type of trade.
Lets see how McLeod does away from EDM. Maybe he blossoms with more opportunities and better linemates
Maybe you are focusing too much on points there is more to winning hockey games than scoring.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Just looked it up - he skated 3:55 in his one NHL game and was sent to the WHL the next morning*

Odd for a blue-chip type guy that could have stuck around for 9 games.
Not all that uncommon for young guys.

Edmonton treated Holloway pretty similarly last season (his 21 year old year)

He had games of 3:47, 4:40, 4:35.

Some coaches have longer rope for young guys, and some have none at all.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Size. Canada rarely bring smaller players and if they do it’s very few.
Never heard anyone say anything negative about his attitude.
He’s a talented player but not as uber talented as say a smaller Bedard… and Bedard is actually slightly taller and heavier than Savoie.

It’s quite normal for smaller players who are not that upper echelon of talent to more quickly get dismissed.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Ryan and McLeod are completely different players. Ryan relies on IQ while McLeod relies on speed.

Reactions: wetcoast

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
There was a lot of smoke about an incident with Krebs last season the night before Savoie got his only game. He played for 5 minutes and was sent to the AHL the next morning.
The icetime given was odd, but the Krebs part just sounds made up tbh

Reactions: DougBodger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad